Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago I began the process of replacing the stock rotor on my 981 Cayman S because the front rotors were developing cracks after about 15 track days. I decided to go with Giro discs. The fronts were done first and worked flawlessly. There rears were next, delayed by a component not originally sent by the supplier. At my next DE, 2 days at the Glen, I detected a sound coming from the right rear wheel I had not heard before, like rubbing or a chunk of rubber in the tire and it only occurred at first on wide sweeping right hand turns. It was inconsistent and not always present. I spoke to my shop and they said to bring it in. An initial inspection revealed nothing. Then I did a second 2-day event and the noticed was still there and noted that the traction control button would not light up and I could not turn traction control off. My shop removed the rotor disc inspected it and the caliper and could find nothing.

I had a track day over the weekend and all hell broke loose. Not only did the sound increase and now in straight line driving, I now had PSM parking brake faults warnings and cruise control is disabled. At first I thought I just have a problem with flex in the rotor and now with the additional warnings I don’t know what to think. I did see in the forums that there have been some software issues with PSM. Has anyone else had any problems with Giro disk flex or these fault problems? Not sure is this is best resolved at my shop or the dealer. Thanks. :helpme:

·
Registered
88 Posts
My right rear would make a random metal on metal grinding noise typically on a hard turn, or occasionally backing up. Turned out to be a small stone inside the caliper sitting on the brake pads. Size was about that of a pea. Noise occurred when the stone got up against the disc. No idea about your warning lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts