Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 981 CS, I am trying to put the rear spoiler at a specific height (not fully up).

It seems like I can put it fully up, and then press the button briefly to drop it a specific height, but it doesn't stay at that height. The button seems to keep blinking and then it seems the rear spoiler just goes back into automatic mode.

Does anyone know how to set the rear spoiler to a specific height that's NOT all the way up?

Thanks,

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Boxster's spoiler does not extend as high as the Cayman's. Perhaps you could swap the raising mechanism over and reach your goal. Also then a boxster owner will get the 15 degrees of angle of attack instead of their 10 degrees.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'd be inclined to addressing that problem with my right foot before changing or modifying any spoiler mechanisms. I seriously doubt there is a S/W solution to what you are seeking, so your options are rather limited. Stay under 75, or use a different rack system. Good luck wherever this leads you.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
191 Posts
With those suction mounting points on the seasucker talon bike rack, I'd be inclined to think you will damage some of the aluminum body panels on your Cayman.....

[h=2]Product Highlights[/h]
  • No roof rack needed! Suction mounts in seconds
  • 4 suction cups with 210 lb. pull strength each!
  • Mounts to any non-porous flat surface - metal, glass, even fiberglass
  • Compact footprint - take in carry-on for travel needs
  • Rated to bike weight of 45 lb. for highway use
  • Made in the USA!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Buy a pickup truck for carrying bikes or other sporting equipment.

I would never mount a bike rack to my Cayman...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Using a seasucker talon bike rack, and the way I want to position it makes the rear tire of the bike touch the spoiler if it goes up.
You can easily pull the spoiler fuse temporarily for transport if you wish. There is a fuse puller tool behind the panel and it takes less than 60 seconds to pull or replace. You may get a spoiler dash warning if you pass over 75mph for any period of time, but its a light volume chime that only happens once assuming you stay above 75. May not be the most elegant solution, but it works and is quick to accomplish just for the short times you need to transport the bike. Its row C, 5th fuse over on the drivers side panel on my 2014 CS, but you can verify in the owner's manual for your specific model

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can easily pull the spoiler fuse temporarily for transport if you wish. There is a fuse puller tool behind the panel and it takes less than 60 seconds to pull or replace. You may get a spoiler dash warning if you pass over 75mph for any period of time, but its a light volume chime that only happens once assuming you stay above 75. May not be the most elegant solution, but it works and is quick to accomplish just for the short times you need to transport the bike. Its row C, 5th fuse over on the drivers side panel on my 2014 CS, but you can verify in the owner's manual for your specific model
Thanks bud, that is super helpful!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks bud, that is super helpful!
Not sure if this helps you, but some Cayman owners ask the dealers (or independent techs with Porsche diagnostic computers) to re-program their cars to think it's a "GT4" (with no movable spoiler) when they add or retrofit their own stationary wing. So maybe someone can program your car into thinking it's actually a 2016 Spyder, because that has a lower intermediate position at 75 MPH and doesn't go to the full height until over 100 MPH. This option makes a lot of assumptions: 1) that a possibly older 981 can be programmed to think it's a 2016 Spyder, and 2) that you won't actually go over 100 MPH when carrying bikes or whenever the rack is mounted.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good thoughts, I do like how it works and the height, so I'm probably not going to compromise to carry a bike. I'll just do it less often and pull the fuse when I must I'm thinking.

I did consider mounting on the roof partially to avoid the issue, but I get the feeling the roof can flex a tad with anything up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.