Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a low cost jack for emergency roadside use. In the event of a flat, I would like to be able to jack up the car to rotate the tire and access the puncture to fix it with a plug, or have the option to take the tire off and take it for repair, as opposed to having Bubba tow the car and risk damage. This 944 jack I found on eBay has a plug on top which looks like it might insert into the lift points - has anyone tried this type of jack with success?
scissor_jack.JPG

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Have not tried that type of jack but I really like your thinking here. Do you have the jack now? If so, I would try it on the car in my garage -- can't see a reason why it would not work, assuming the plug on top fits the hole on the car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, the 944 jack should work. I purchased one for my 987. I also carry a Gorilla lug wrench and tire plug kit.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
You'll also need a torque wrench (or at least a breaker bar) to get the required 118 ft.lbs.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
A cheap Walmart scissors jack works just fine, and fits nicely in the bottom of the frunk. The hole in the bottom of the car's lift point is just a convenience guide, it isn't necessary that your jack have a matching stud.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea on the Gorilla lug wrench! An extendable wrench for increasing available torque is perfect. Thanks to all for the replies. I will order one and report back with the results.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Don't forget to carry a couple chocks.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I put together a spare tire/jack/wrench kit when I got my Cayman 6 years ago. I found a spacesaver spare that came with the Boxster at a recycling store, and a scissors jack on eBay. I have several pull handles in 1/2" and keep one in the frunk with my 19mm lug socket attached. I have a wheel chock that came with a previous BMW I once owned. I also keep a bottle of Slime since the original Porsche sealant was way out of date. I plan to transfer all this equipment to my new GTS when it comes in. I think everything cost me about $250 or maybe a little less.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think it's simpler to just call Porsche Assistance and get it flat-bedded to your Dealer for a car under warranty.-Richard

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I think it's simpler to just call Porsche Assistance and get it flat-bedded to your Dealer for a car under warranty.-Richard
In that case, keep a tube of KY in the glove compartment. Because a dealer is going to tell you
  • Porsche forbids patching/plugging
  • You need to replace both tires (if not all 4)
  • The replacement must be N rated $$$$
  • You won't get to shop for better deals

So unless you also bought the road-hazard warranty, your free flatbed ride could end-up costing you $1K. I realize that there are times when that may be your best or only option, but it wouldn't be my 'Plan A'.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I just had a tire experience at my local dealer that you might want to hear about.

I happened to be driving the 1.5 miles from my house to the dealer to see a 919 that they were suppose to have on display. On the way there I ran over something and the TPMS went wild. Within 60 seconds I had zero PSI in my left rear tire. I made the wrong decision and continued to the dealer instead of driving home.

When I got there the sidewall had a very small hole (almost invisible) hole. Prepare yourself..... they informed me that:
1. They wanted $479 for a 20" matching tire.
2. They also wanted another $85 to mount and balance the tire.
3. Here is the fun part. It was Friday morning and after telling me #1 and #2, I learned that they did not even have the tire in stock. I would need to wait until Monday or Tuesday. If they really think we are dumb enough to pay $600+ for one rear tire that they do not even want spend the $ to keep in inventory they must be drinking to much of the their own Porsche dealer koolaid.
4. Lastly, the service manager then tells me that I "must" leave the the with them for safety reasons.

What would you do?

Here is what I did:

1. While between #3 and #4 I checked tirerack on my phone (btw- I prefer not to use ecommece, but I wanted my car for the weekend) where two Goodyear N spec 20" rear tires with shipping could be purchased for the price of the one tire at the dealer that they did not have in stock. Oh, and by the way they would get to me in less than 24 hours. No waiting until Monday/Tuesday.
2. I had the dealer fill the tire (still on the car) up to 45PSI.
3. I got in the car in the garage and drove it directly to my local tire guy (1.5 miles, just made it with 6psi left).
4. He installed another rear tire I had in my garage that I forgot I saved in case I needed it.

I can afford $600 for a tire, however I refused to pay it.
If they said $350-$400 I would have not thought twice. I felt like they crossed the line with the "must leave my car" and over the top tire price.

The same guys wanted $80 to turn off my oil change indicator.

Oh, and the 919....It was a bs mule with plastic "magnesium bbs wheels."

A complete waste of time.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Forgot to mention: That was a week ago. Today, I was heading 150 miles away for the weekend. I put a tire plug kit in the car, but forgot I did not have a jack or 19mm wrench in the car.

Thanks to this thread, I will correct that this week.

Love P-9!

I just had a tire experience at my local dealer that you might want to hear about.

I happened to be driving the 1.5 miles from my house to the dealer to see a 919 that they were suppose to have on display. On the way there I ran over something and the TPMS went wild. Within 60 seconds I had zero PSI in my left rear tire. I made the wrong decision and continued to the dealer instead of driving home.

When I got there the sidewall had a very small hole (almost invisible) hole. Prepare yourself..... they informed me that:
1. They wanted $479 for a 20" matching tire.
2. They also wanted another $85 to mount and balance the tire.
3. Here is the fun part. It was Friday morning and after telling me #1 and #2, I learned that they did not even have the tire in stock. I would need to wait until Monday or Tuesday. If they really think we are dumb enough to pay $600+ for one rear tire that they do not even want spend the $ to keep in inventory they must be drinking to much of the their own Porsche dealer koolaid.
4. Lastly, the service manager then tells me that I "must" leave the the with them for safety reasons.

What would you do?

Here is what I did:

1. While between #3 and #4 I checked tirerack on my phone (btw- I prefer not to use ecommece, but I wanted my car for the weekend) where two Goodyear N spec 20" rear tires with shipping could be purchased for the price of the one tire at the dealer that they did not have in stock. Oh, and by the way they would get to me in less than 24 hours. No waiting until Monday/Tuesday.
2. I had the dealer fill the tire (still on the car) up to 45PSI.
3. I got in the car in the garage and drove it directly to my local tire guy (1.5 miles, just made it with 6psi left).
4. He installed another rear tire I had in my garage that I forgot I saved in case I needed it.

I can afford $600 for a tire, however I refused to pay it.
If they said $350-$400 I would have not thought twice. I felt like they crossed the line with the "must leave my car" and over the top tire price.

The same guys wanted $80 to turn off my oil change indicator.

Oh, and the 919....It was a bs mule with plastic "magnesium bbs wheels."

A complete waste of time.

·
Registered
782 Posts
In that case, keep a tube of KY in the glove compartment. Because a dealer is going to tell you
  • Porsche forbids patching/plugging
  • You need to replace both tires (if not all 4)
  • The replacement must be N rated $$$$
  • You won't get to shop for better deals

So unless you also bought the road-hazard warranty, your free flatbed ride could end-up costing you $1K. I realize that there are times when that may be your best or only option, but it wouldn't be my 'Plan A'.
There is no way I would plug/patch a tire on my 981B at the speeds it is capable of.
There is a reason for replacement of same axle tires, stability at high speeds.
Porsche tires carry thier own Porsche approved design and manufacture for a reason, safety.
After two years of DE events and 13K miles. i had my Dealer put on a new set of N Rated Dunlops at $1475.
Maybe not the cheapest but certainly the safest and had no problems with this summers events which inlcuded DE, AX and Rallye.
I value being safe over a few $$'s.-Richard
BTW, KY can be quite useful!

Reactions: spaceman

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is to plug a tire to get back home. Just take it easy on the way. You can then order your tires, get them mounted, and get on with things.

As for me, I am a wheel/tire insurance guy and will just call Porsche to come and get me. Before you bombard me about the number of tires you need to replace to make up the premium, living in "Pot Hole Jersey" a.k.a. "Continuous road construction everywhere Jersey" with $6K 20" wheels and $1600 in tires makes it a worthwhile policy. People destroy wheels all of the time here. The $5/week is worth the peace of mind for me.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I recognize that Porsches are not Chevys or Toyotas, but at the same time I hate like everything to give pay money for service or goods that don't measure up, or are excessive. If everyone on this forum doesn't know that Porsche dealers make a huge profit on tires then let me sell you some swamp land. It would have to be an extreme emergency for me to pay the price that a dealer charges for tires. Plugging the tread area is perfectly acceptable for repairing a tire if it is done correctly, and there are many instances of such where the tire stood up to heavy use for many miles. Shoulder and sidewall areas are verboten and necessitate a replacement. Porsche Assistance is great IF circumstances and locations warrant it, but for those of us that live in rural areas this often means a long wait when a little Boy Scout prepardness will get you out of a jam much quicker and usually cheaper. And yes, I am a Boy Scout, Eagle in fact. The tire/wheel insurance is probably worth it in many areas, and deals can be found on this too with a little searching. Road Hazard warranties are also available for a fee with many tire purchases, and will give peace of mind. I still go by my earlier post, and in the six years I've owned my 987 I only had one flat, and that was in the first few weeks of ownership. Tires are so much better than they once were, and unless you drive in construction zones one could go a lifetime and never experience a flat tire. I'm not knocking dealers, but just like I go to the Porsche dealer to buy a new Porsche, I go to a tire dealer (or Tire Rack) to buy a new tire. JMO.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
To update, I found several Boxster jacks on eBay last Saturday, some with the foam insert to hold the jack and handle plus a tool kit I guess. I ended up ordering one just to get the foam insert, as the one I'm using now in my spacesaver spare is from a BMW and while the jack fits, the handle doesn't. I guess I'll have an extra jack/handle/insert available is anyone is interested. I'll put it in the classifieds in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've listed the jack, handle and foam insert on Panjo if anyone is interested. I also found several spacesaver tires for the Boxster on eBAy that will work on both the 987 and 981 Cayman/Boxster and provide old school security for those longer trips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts