Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at the various threads on this issue and I have distilled to this (when oem rear view cam not installed by factory)

Go with rear view mirror solutions that split the screen like gentex or the one available on the costco site for about $170. link here

or

go with maxspeed integrated rear cam link here

All i need is a clear view of the back. I will rarely be parking in tight spots and dont really need the guide lines and beeping sensors and stuff. There is some nav-tv option but appears too pricey .. Please advise the best solution for my needs for a 981 S

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd also be very interested to hear any experiences with the Maxspeed system. Looks promising. I have back-up sensors in my 981 but It's the worst backing-up view from any car I've ever owned. I'm amazed I haven't nailed something yet.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Not getting the OEM backup camera is the one option that I wish I had picked... I have difficulty judging my distance to "things" when I'm backing up.
This Maxspeed system looks pretty good. I'd be interested in anyone who has actually installed/had installed this -- other than Maxspeed...
... D

·
Registered
161 Posts
D&D;1886642 said:
Not getting the OEM backup camera is the one option that I wish I had picked... I have difficulty judging my distance to "things" when I'm backing up.
This Maxspeed system looks pretty good. I'd be interested in anyone who has actually installed/had installed this -- other than Maxspeed...
... D
I have been putting off getting a Nav-tv system since its so expensive so this Maxspeed system is getting my attention too!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Is your PCM already at 4.3+? In not, I'd suggest first verifying that you can get your PCM updated. I was unable to get multiple dealers to update ours for NAV-TV (required 4.0) so I had to find something that didn't interface with PCM.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I sent maxspeed a question asking how the system works if you have backup parking sensors. On 718s I noticed they have split screen with 1/2 showing the backup sensor image and the other showing the backup camera. I'm wondering if a 981 with this system will do the same.

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is what I got back from my question to Maxspeed:

"It must be version 4.3 and higher in your case you are good.
I don’t see why the camera won’t work with the sensors, if I recall the image of backup will be there with overlay of sensors..
When the tech will code, in the list of codes in the PCM coding section there will be an option “REVERSE CAMERA” he must enable it. And the camera image will appear as soon as you hit reverse.

Nello Tropiano
Maxspeed-Motorsports.com
Tel.855.466.2977
Text/WhatsApp.305.308.2009"

Not exactly definitive but it still might be worth the try. I'm going to think about it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't get how a pcm3.1 from 2012 is any different than a pcm3.1 from 2013? My 2013 Boxster was built in 2012, yet I'm stuck at 3.4 and therefore stuck with no options for a backup camera.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Really curious to hear from someone who's tried this out, and how it's quality is. The high quality labeling of the part on the web site is not super confidence inspiring :)

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
All those PCM based solutions are limited to latest version.

I was first to replace mirror on 981 with built-in display. It still works great. Would it be better to have it on PCM instead? Yes. But it works in the mirror too. And if that's your only option - that's pretty nice option.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S GT Silver over expresso
88 Posts
Reactions: blkmmba

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S GT Silver over expresso
88 Posts
Musicar Nothwest in Portland, Or.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought the pearl back up wireless bluetooth camera/license frame system - $499 - goes right to your phone in HD - works perfect and frame charges via solar power - nothing to install plug it in and go

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
737 Posts
I bought the pearl back up wireless bluetooth camera/license frame system - $499 - goes right to your phone in HD - works perfect and frame charges via solar power - nothing to install plug it in and go
I also got the pearl backup camera. While it works okay, it isn't going to work long term anymore. The company went bankrupt in June and was sold to some company that has zero interest in keeping it updated. It no longer works properly once you update to iOS 11.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pearl went out of business in June. Too bad.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.