Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has retrofitted Cayman S brakes to a base 2014 base Cayman. I know it’s not much of a change but I’ve found a good deal on new red calipers. My particular car has the 18 inch Cayman S wheels. I’m coming up on my first brake pad replacement. Any advice or thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has retrofitted Cayman S brakes to a base 2014 base Cayman. I know it’s not much of a change but I’ve found a good deal on new red calipers. My particular car has the 18 inch Cayman S wheels. I’m coming up on my first brake pad replacement. Any advice or thoughts welcome.
I did the big brake upgrade from Suncoast and it was no problem, and it’s Carrera S six piston up front. I can say almost without a doubt, as long as we are talking the same year etc, they will work fine. The only difference is color with the calipers. I do believe the rotors are the same as well.

The rear brake calipers are actually 986 part numbers. The front may be different numbers from base to S but that’s only because of color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tailhookerpilot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve seen that upgrade. I was just considering 981 for 981 S of the same year. Thanks for your reply. Do you see much of a difference with that upgrade?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I’ve seen that upgrade. I was just considering 981 for 981 S of the same year. Thanks for your reply. Do you see much of a difference with that upgrade?
I compare both ways with a trip to SD a few years ago, through the mountains around the black hills area to a trip to Pikes Peak and the mountains of Utah this year and it’s a pretty substantial difference. The stock brakes are totally fine but the 6s up front feel a little more in reserve I guess you’d say. The stock brakes got hot enough on the SD trip to transfer some pad material to the rotors and create a pulsating that lasted for several months. It was gone by the time I swapped. These just feel more confident, for the mountain drives anyway. Day to day, I don’t notice much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any advice or thoughts welcome.
Short and to the point: if you want to change the calipers and rotors to 981S specs for performance - it is not worth it. If you want to change it just for looks go ahead :).

Changing to the 981S brakes you are changing the calipers and the discs. They are in fact the same calipers but different color and the discs change from 315x28 to 330x28 - all in all a small change. I would make a bigger step with changing them to one of the following (all variants are with newer and better calipers and rotors) - ordered by price:

- 718 S Brakes (red) / 991.2 NonS Brakes (black) - the discs are 330x32 and if they are OK for the 718 GTS than they should be good for a 981 Base. The calipers are totally different to the 981/981S ones, but still a 4 pot one. I have these and I am happy with them.

- 991.1 S Brakes (red) - the discs are 340x32 (I think it is 32 - not sure) and should be better than the 718S ones. And the calipers change from 4 piston to 6 piston. After all they are used on 400-430hp cars...

- 718 Carbon Fiber Calipers (also on many other Porsche models) + Girodisc Rotos - the discs are replaced from the carbon ones to Girodisc Rotos 350x33

- as I side note, I see that Suncoast sells a BigBrakeKit (BBK) with 350mm discs - not sure what these are.

To my knowledge, all solutions above are bolt on and no other changes (like Master Cylinder & other) are needed.
Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts