Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install a race seat into my 981 Boxster, and ideally would like to install a resistor to simulate the existence of the seat side airbags. Does anyone here have a wire diagram of the connector, and/or know what value resistor would do the trick? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
I think the usual approach is to simply recode the car not to expect the seat airbags via PIWIS or Durametric Pro etc.

While it makes sense I can't recall ever reading of someone using a resistor for this. Maybe with all the new CANBUS stuff the car is looking for a are you ready ACK instead of just a closed circuit. Don't know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resistor trick didn't work, but might be because we connected the battery back up once before putting the resistor in. The pins for the thorax airbags are the ones directly adjacent to the seatbelt connection, at least in the 981. Also, here's a reply I got on another board:

It would be better to get the seat airbag to be coded out of the system. A 5 minute job with a PIWIS tester.

I know people use 2.7 ohm, 1/4 watt, resistors to simulate steering wheel airbags, and I would expect the seat airbags to be the same.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I just read somewhere about installing Recaro seats into 981 boxster. On this forum, or on the other one :) Poster said that 987 resistor kit worked perfectly

·
Registered
109 Posts
What's the latest thinking on defeating the airbag light when installing aftermarket seats in the Cayman? One plan I'm thinking about would be to swap in and out a race seat for events so relying on someone else's computer isn't ideal unless its a permanent fix. What about tricking it with a resistor or even parts from a factory seat? I'd only swap the driver's seat so no worries about the passenger side occupancy sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts