Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I had owned a 2013 BS with Sport Exhaust. I never heard much if any of the sound difference when I hit the button (turned the sport exhaust on, opened the baffles,etc). But I loved the sound the car had just in regular mode. I sold the car 4-5 months ago thinking I was heading in a different direction.

Then my dealer called me 3 weeks ago with an offer. They had a sub 2k original mile single owner 2016 BS on CPO. Someone spec'd and ordered it new from them, and garaged it for 3 years, then came back and traded it in for a new one. I pounced on it.

The car was not built with the sport exhaust option. And I find it too quiet. It's missing something in terms of sound.

Does the Porsche Sport exhaust in regular mode enhance the exhaust sound over a non-sport exhaust car?

I'm not looking for a screaming, popping, burbling sound, that's not what I use this car for. But I want it to sound a little more alive. I loved the sound of my 2013, and the PSE is the option it had that my new one doesn't, so I'm not sure what else could be different, the motor is the same given it's a 981S.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You can install PSE in your car. Suncoast sells the parts. Not cheap, but that’s Porsche.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm aware you can buy PSE, but I'm looking for someone more knowledgeable than me to opine on if the Porsche Sport exhaust in regular mode enhances the exhaust sound over a non-sport exhaust car.

There are also a number of aftermarket systems like Tubi, but it's hard to determine from YouTube what they really sound like in life.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Also interested. My Cayman 2.7 w/o PSE was very quite but my BS w/PSE is substantially louder. Louder than my 991.1S w/o PSE. Difference w/valves open v. closed is definitely minimal imo, except may be top revs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I replaced my stock 981 exhaust with PSE after I purchased my 2015 Cayman base last year because I felt the stock exhaust was just too tame, my 987.1 sounded better. My dealer matched the Suncoast kit price and installed it for around $3,800 total. It works like factory. My initial impression was that I didn't like the change in tone from the stock version. It had a slightly deeper pitch. But then it mellowed with about a thousand miles and I really started to like the tone, and really liked being able to open it up with the press of a button, especially in tunnels, haha. With Sport off and PSE on it sounds great, with Sport on and PSE on you get the gurgles and pops which is fun at times. It's nice to be able to open and close it with the factory button, like when you enter the neighborhood or want to be reserved. Also after going to a few Porsche events I confirmed this is the true Porsche sound. Final verdict, it was worth the money and can't imagine not having it now. And I feel it improves the value of the car's resell value as its a sought after option.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got this one from flat6 Motorsports and couldn't be happier.....should have done this months ago when I first got it. Top Speed Pro 1 exhaust

Just had it installed today.... f'n love it!!!

Less than $1000 installed.

Nice and subtle at low rpm's but sounds like a GT4 past 4K

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got this one from flat6 Motorsports and couldn't be happier.....should have done this months ago when I first got it. Top Speed Pro 1 exhaust

Just had it installed today.... f'n love it!!!

Less than $1000 installed.

Nice and subtle at low rpm's but sounds like a GT4 past 4K

In your opinion the exhaust sounds the same in a 981 base?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you, in your opinion it's louder than the PSE?
hard to say as I’ve never heard a PSE on a Cayman in person... will say this exhaust is very subtle in the low RPM but comes alive once you get past 4K and the snap crackle pop is addictive as hell. My only regret is that I didn’t do it the day I got the car a few months ago. You will fall in love with your car all over again....

I will try to get some better video today and post it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow!

That sounds better than my 2013 did with PSE.

Any quite frankly, your video and sound quality is better than most on YouTube.

Thanks for posting, I'll look into this system.

485 Posts
We have a Valved Exhaust which is basically PSE+. It's extremely civil with valves closed and sounds unreal with the least drone in the industry with valves open! The sound quality is maintained even if you decide to upgrade to headers in the future - which is what we designed the system for. We can customize the tips to your liking as well with color and logo. Let me know if you have any questions or need forum pricing! :):

Valved Exhaust + Stock Headers:

Valved Exhaust + Long Tube Catted Headers:

-Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Folks,

I had owned a 2013 BS with Sport Exhaust. I never heard much if any of the sound difference when I hit the button (turned the sport exhaust on, opened the baffles,etc). But I loved the sound the car had just in regular mode. I sold the car 4-5 months ago thinking I was heading in a different direction.

Then my dealer called me 3 weeks ago with an offer. They had a sub 2k original mile single owner 2016 BS on CPO. Someone spec'd and ordered it new from them, and garaged it for 3 years, then came back and traded it in for a new one. I pounced on it.

The car was not built with the sport exhaust option. And I find it too quiet. It's missing something in terms of sound.

Does the Porsche Sport exhaust in regular mode enhance the exhaust sound over a non-sport exhaust car?

I'm not looking for a screaming, popping, burbling sound, that's not what I use this car for. But I want it to sound a little more alive. I loved the sound of my 2013, and the PSE is the option it had that my new one doesn't, so I'm not sure what else could be different, the motor is the same given it's a 981S.

There's a couple ways of using it to be honest, just depends on what packages or combos you have. For example, I have the sport chrono package and PSE on my 981 BS. Because of the sport chrono there is a sport, sport plus, and the PSE buttons on the console. I can press the PSE alone and the sound changes very little, does not activate sport or sport plus when press PSE alone. But if I press sport and PSE and the sound gets a noticeably deeper/louder. However if I press sport plus button the PSE automatically turns on and that is where I notice the biggest difference and best sound of all the combos.

I have a set of Soul long tube headers on order right now. I will be adding those but keeping the PSE. I honestly like the PSE sound, its right there in the middle range, and believe the headers are going to make for a crazy improvement but still not overly loud and drone like a lot of the others. I removed the a valved Fabspeed system because of that and put the PSE back on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Was the same on my 2013 BS, I can combo the buttons any which way, but again, I never heard much of a change turning PSE on, and I always wondered if the valves were not working, but I never got under to look. I do know I LOVED the sound of it whether it was on or off. Now on my 2016 BS I'm missing the PSE, and the car is too quiet, even my wife notices it.

I called Suncoast, they can sell the kit to me but said it must be dealer installed, something about having to flash the ECU to let the car know it's got PSE installed. I'll see what my dealer says unless someone here knows more about the installation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Folks,

Hi,
I have a 2013 bb and it has the sport exhaust, when I hit the button it changesthe sound to a much deeper tone.
it also makes that pop when you let off the gas.
i also see a 200 rpm increase at idle.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You might look into the free Sound Package Plus. You slide the coupling between the mufflers to one side, increasing the exhaust tone and sound. With a little experimenting, There’s no drone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lots of exhaust options....just be careful of many that will introduce drone.

I have Brombacher that came on my 981 BS (I too found a no mile, time capsule) and it sounds amazing but there is drone.

IMO/IME and after research, the best sounding exhaust setup with the least amount of drone is the factory PSE. Taken one step further, a couple of places will modify your stock headers with higher flowing CATS too. The result is more power and more sound, with a factory looking setup. Important to some if you live in CA.

Other than that, lots of systems...Brombacher, Borla, Akrapovic, Soul, and the list goes on. Some cheap and some very expensive. Like I said, the sound becomes very subjective and the results and satisfaction vary, depending upon taste.

I LOVE the sound of our car with Brombacher but not the drone. I am thinking of changing it out someday because of the drone. I will likely go stock PSE setup with modified CATS for smog unfriendly CA.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks. Was the same on my 2013 BS, I can combo the buttons any which way, but again, I never heard much of a change turning PSE on, and I always wondered if the valves were not working, but I never got under to look. I do know I LOVED the sound of it whether it was on or off. Now on my 2016 BS I'm missing the PSE, and the car is too quiet, even my wife notices it.

I called Suncoast, they can sell the kit to me but said it must be dealer installed, something about having to flash the ECU to let the car know it's got PSE installed. I'll see what my dealer says unless someone here knows more about the installation.
Suncoast "says" it has to be dealer installed, but that is just a CYA from them and is not actually the case. I can answer all of your questions...

I bought my '14 Cayman S without PSE. I knew I wanted PSE, and saw that Suncoast offered the kit.

I purchased the kit, got the installation instructions from Suncoast (they'll email to you after you buy the kit, just ask), and installed the entire kit myself.

Afterwards, I made an appointment at my local dealer to get the car programmed for having PSE. This enables the behavior in the body control module that turns the exhaust on and off with the push of the button and/or the sport/sport+ buttons. This cost me, I think, an additional $150 for their hour of time.

At first, I wasn't happy with the exhaust. It didn't really sound any different. This changed dramatically as time went on. It's very similar to stock when you first install it. The PSE has to break in over a few weeks of driving. Now, when "off", it's a bit louder than stock, and has a different tone. When it's "on", it's super loud and I get lots of attention, the sounds the car makes bounce off everything and it's hilarious.

It's interesting to me that you didn't notice a difference when you pushed the button before. I wonder if either 1) it was stuck in always on (which seems unlikely because it'd be pretty loud), or 2) you were only getting the crossover that happens at high RPM due to a loss of vacuum. No matter what, the valves open at high RPM, there's no vacuum available to hold them closed.

Would I install it again? Absolutely, no question, I love it. It's an integral part of the character of the car. A must have, imho.

·
Registered
14 Posts

The valves on PSE open at higher RPMs (~4k IIRC) regardless of the console selection switch - said another way, it's "always on" except at low RPMs anyway. I retrofitted PSE on my car, and didn't bother installing the switch/valve functionality (the valves default to open). At that point, installation is very simple - just bolt it on. The ECU programming is only to control operation of the valves/switch. I also LOVED the sound open/"on" all the time - I legitimately enjoyed the car 2x more with PSE.

Shameless plug - my BS is gone, and my PSE is sitting in the garage - has black GT4 tips too... let me know if you're interested!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The valves on PSE open at higher RPMs (~4k IIRC) regardless of the console selection switch - said another way, it's "always on" except at low RPMs anyway. I retrofitted PSE on my car, and didn't bother installing the switch/valve functionality (the valves default to open). At that point, installation is very simple - just bolt it on. The ECU programming is only to control operation of the valves/switch. I also LOVED the sound open/"on" all the time - I legitimately enjoyed the car 2x more with PSE.

Shameless plug - my BS is gone, and my PSE is sitting in the garage - has black GT4 tips too... let me know if you're interested!

What do you want for it?

Send me an email with pics to [email protected]

1 - 20 of 45 Posts