Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
All these positives for the PSE; a word of caution for anyone with a Cayman optioned with a PDK there is an awful drone at hwy speeds 2100-2200 rpm In 7th gear. It irritated me so much I put a stock exhaust on and now enjoy the car significantly more.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All these positives for the PSE; a word of caution for anyone with a Cayman optioned with a PDK there is an awful drone at hwy speeds 2100-2200 rpm In 7th gear. It irritated me so much I put a stock exhaust on and now enjoy the car significantly more.
This was your experience with PSE?

I have the same experience right on the gas with the brombacher in pretty much any gear...and in 7th, cruising on the FWY.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hope your experience with Bromacher is good for you.
It's great, aside from some drone...I'm pretty drone adverse so that's why. The expensive system came on the car so at least someone else paid for it.

Back to my question, was your experience described above with PSE exhaust?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my 2014 BS with non-PSE and upgraded after two years to the PSE. The sound is completely different. I still prefer the sound of the stock exhaust but it was way to quiet.
PSE with valves closed the sound is quieter than stock and a bit boring (for me). Open the valves and it's really, really loud. I wish I could have he exact same sound as the stock exhaust but a bit louder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got this one from flat6 Motorsports and couldn't be happier.....should have done this months ago when I first got it. Top Speed Pro 1 exhaust

Just had it installed today.... f'n love it!!!

Less than $1000 installed.

Nice and subtle at low rpm's but sounds like a GT4 past 4K

What is the noise level on the highway, windows up? Drone?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is the noise level on the highway, windows up? Drone?
There are a few spots in the powerband where you get drone, usually when you are in 7th gear and throttling it...you learn real quick how to avoid most of it by down shifting.
But just cruising the freeways is not as bad as I wasn't expecting

It also drones when you are just sneaking out of the neighborhood in low speeds while the engine is warming up...it is better with the window cracked and music up a bit

It is well worth a little drone here and there to have that sweet sound behind you though imo

·
Registered
9 Posts
The PSE on my 2013 981BS was added after delivery by the dealer. Agree there's only a slight difference in the cabin volume between PSE On & Off under "regular" driving (I feel much of the engine noise we hear comes from the air intakes behind our left ear). That said, I feel a big difference in noise with the top down under agressive driving (manual w/sport chrono - maybe the throttle mapping matters?). The difference is quite pronounced in the canyons where there's reverb from what's coming out the tailpipe. Not sure if that addresses your question, but I've enjoyed having PSE for the kind of driving we bought the car to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did a DIY install of the PSE after I previously installed aFe catted headers and also experienced a drone in 7th gear at about 65-70 mph even with the PSE turned off. My hearing is shot and it bothers my wife more than it does me. But since we are planning a 6000 mile road trip out west I decided to proactively attempt to lessen the drone and keep my PSE. After a multi forum search I found someone that claimed to solve/reduce the drone problem with the drone in a PDK Cayman. I removed the carpet in the trunk and noticed that the trunk floor panel has lots of beadings to stiffen the panel and possibly reduce resonance in the panel but when I tapped on the panel it sounds like I am pounding on a drum. This floor panel is directly over the exhaust pipes and mufflers so I am convinced that this could be contributing to the drone.
I installed two pieces of 18"x32" Dynamat Xtreme 1/16" thick self adhesive aluminum/rubber sound deadener to the trunk floor and wheel well panels. I spent some time forming the material, with rollers, to all the beads and stampings in the panels so the foam on the carpet panel would match and form to the floor. After tapping on the floor panel it seems to remove the resonance and vibration from the panel. The 1/16" thickness of the Dynamat did not affect the reinstallation of carpet and panels. I had enough Dynamat left over the also install it on the engine cover. It may be overkill but I also ordered the 3/8" thick four layer DynaPad acoustic mat which I am going to lay over the carpet in the trunk and put the Porsche rubber trunk liner over the pad. I am also going to use the remainder of the 32"x54" DynaPad over the engine cover (under the carpet). My research also found that if the rubber bumper adjusters are backed off slightly on the rear hatch it would reduce the tension on the rear hatch and reduce the drone vibration on the rear glass that is transmitted from the trunk floor. I don't know about that but it is possible and worth a try since the PDK PSE drone seems to be more prevalent in a Cayman and not a Boxster.
I have the interior dissembled for my smoker package retro installation and my other winter projects so I will probably not put it back on the road until spring (no winter tires) to test the drone reduction but I am convinced this should greatly help and avoid having my wife suffer with drone on our road trip. ;)
Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I called Suncoast, they can sell the kit to me but said it must be dealer installed, something about having to flash the ECU to let the car know it's got PSE installed. I'll see what my dealer says unless someone here knows more about the installation.
I did a DIY installation on the PSE that I ordered from Suncoast. The installation involves the exhaust system which is the easy part. Installing the switch involves removing the drivers seat to access the electronics control unit and removing the trim on the drivers side all the way back to the right rear fuse panel by the tail light to connect a wire to the two panels. You also have to remove the engine cover to replace a change over valve that provides vacuum for the PSE valves. You also need to remove and replace the switch panel in the console and rearrange the all new switches in the proper locations for your current options and add the PSE button. So after you install everything you can drive it to the Porsche Dealership where they connect it to their PIWIS and activate the new PSE button. I think that they charged me for one hour to activate the PSE and an unsuccessful attempt to initialize a new 92 AH battery I installed (I later initialized the battery myself with my new ICarsoft POR V2.0). Between the Suncoast instructions and instructions from PG-IN on the forum the install was straight forward but still a lot of work, but well worth it. The Suncoast kit is very complete and has everything you need including the zip ties for the wires.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also interested. My Cayman 2.7 w/o PSE was very quite but my BS w/PSE is substantially louder. Louder than my 991.1S w/o PSE. Difference w/valves open v. closed is definitely minimal imo, except may be top revs.
In your opinion your 2.7 pse is louder than a 911.1 S with PSE?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got this one from flat6 Motorsports and couldn't be happier.....should have done this months ago when I first got it. Top Speed Pro 1 exhaust

Just had it installed today.... f'n love it!!!

Less than $1000 installed.

Nice and subtle at low rpm's but sounds like a GT4 past 4K

How is the overall build quality? Do you know how the exhaust is supported around the muffler section? The install guide shows removing the factory support pieces. Can you share some pics of the installed exhaust from the back/bottom?

thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
40 Posts
How is the overall build quality? Do you know how the exhaust is supported around the muffler section? The install guide shows removing the factory support pieces. Can you share some pics of the installed exhaust from the back/bottom?

thanks,
Kevin
Build quality is good, although the fitment wasn't great and it is off center about 1/2 inch to the left...working with guys at @flat6motorsports to get this resolved.
The exhaust is so small and light weight that it doesn't have any hangers or supports... still loving the sound so much, but hoping to get the fitment issues resolved, seems like the xpipe just had a bit more pipe it would be much easier to adjust. Hoping Top Speed or flat6 will get this fixed for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its very interesting to read to the feedback of PSE for Cayman Vs Boxster owners, "too loud" and "drone" are not a factor at all with a Boxster (but I understand that is 100% personal opinion). I have a 2014 Boxster S with PSE, love it, 99% of the time my default habit is to hit the button as soon as I go. The PSE tones should have be the "stock" sound of the 981s. The "stock" exhaust "tones" is basically nonexistence. I made the mistake of wanting even louder and deeper, put on a Fabspeed valved exhaust thinking it would just add to the very characteristic tones already, wrong. Now THAT system is way "too loud" and "dones" like no other! With valves open it more or less is straight pipes and unbearable. Had it on for 3 days and took it off, hated it, couldn't get the PSE back on quick enough. The sound/tone was nothing of a Porsche, sounded like old school beefed up muscle car (n)

After doing what I should have done originally, deeper research and a lot of phone calls, the best bang for the buck on performance and sound of the 981...replace the massively restricted and deadening OE headers! Mine just arrived yesterday, Boxster S with PSE and adding SOUL long tube headers. As soon as the garage is not an icebox I will be doing the install. Cant wait for this combo.

PS
The easiest answer for all the 7th gear drone comments... 6 speed manual! :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its very interesting to read to the feedback of PSE for Cayman Vs Boxster owners, "too loud" and "drone" are not a factor at all with a Boxster (but I understand that is 100% personal opinion). I have a 2014 Boxster S with PSE, love it, 99% of the time my default habit is to hit the button as soon as I go. The PSE tones should have be the "stock" sound of the 981s. The "stock" exhaust "tones" is basically nonexistence. I made the mistake of wanting even louder and deeper, put on a Fabspeed valved exhaust thinking it would just add to the very characteristic tones already, wrong. Now THAT system is way "too loud" and "dones" like no other! With valves open it more or less is straight pipes and unbearable. Had it on for 3 days and took it off, hated it, couldn't get the PSE back on quick enough. The sound/tone was nothing of a Porsche, sounded like old school beefed up muscle car (n)

After doing what I should have done originally, deeper research and a lot of phone calls, the best bang for the buck on performance and sound of the 981...replace the massively restricted and deadening OE headers! Mine just arrived yesterday, Boxster S with PSE and adding SOUL long tube headers. As soon as the garage is not an icebox I will be doing the install. Cant wait for this combo.

PS
The easiest answer for all the 7th gear drone comments... 6 speed manual! :p
I installed the aFe catted headers first with my stock exhaust then later I installed the PSE from Suncoast and the same time installed the Soul X-pipe and love the sound. Some members say the X-pipe helps the sound but since I installed it at the same time as the PSE I can’t attest to the difference but it sure sounds good to me.:giggle: Although I didn’t have severe drone with my Cayman PDK in 7th gear I just installed the DynamatXtreme on the trunk floor ( see post #30 above) and hope to eliminate the drone.
Jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought my 2014 BS with non-PSE and upgraded after two years to the PSE. The sound is completely different. I still prefer the sound of the stock exhaust but it was way to quiet.
PSE with valves closed the sound is quieter than stock and a bit boring (for me). Open the valves and it's really, really loud. I wish I could have he exact same sound as the stock exhaust but a bit louder.
My experiences and preferences were exactly as yours. The stock has a nicer tone, just not wild enough for this car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed the aFe catted headers first with my stock exhaust then later I installed the PSE from Suncoast and the same time installed the Soul X-pipe and love the sound. Some members say the X-pipe helps the sound but since I installed it at the same time as the PSE I can’t attest to the difference but it sure sounds good to me.:giggle: Although I didn’t have severe drone with my Cayman PDK in 7th gear I just installed the DynamatXtreme on the trunk floor ( see post #30 above) and hope to eliminate the drone.
Jim

By saying X--pipe Im assuming you are referring to the new tips of theirs? Which style did you go with, Im contemplating doing the same. Post pictures?

·
Registered
35 Posts
By saying X--pipe Im assuming you are referring to the new tips of theirs? Which style did you go with, Im contemplating doing the same. Post pictures?
Yes, I went with the dual wall chrome to reduce leg burn and I like the look. The extension of the tips are adjustable. You can also buy direct from Soul and they might offer a PCA or forum discount. Fab Speed also makes a nice one that appears to have a more pronounced “X” design. There are a lot of options but I think the X-pipe design make sense to me.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts