Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 981 came with the regular steering wheel. Has anyone did a conversion to the Sports Design one? I know this is just aesthetic, but I'm curious if it can actually be done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Interesting question. I ordered the sport design so I appreciate your desire. Do you have a 6MT or PDK?

Here
is one thread I found but no definitive info.

And another thread Here. Sounds like the dealer can do it. It also mentions an aftermarket option from Techart.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
My 981 came with the regular steering wheel. Has anyone did a conversion to the Sports Design one? I know this is just aesthetic, but I'm curious if it can actually be done.
Does your car have a PDK?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I did it to my 2013 BS -- or the dealer did it for my car to be precise. I had them order the wheel to make sure that I got all the right components. Took about 2 hours or so and was a bit less than $2k if I remember right (If you need the exact price let me know and I'll find the invoice.)

My car has PDK and had the original wheel with those little "ears" on the wheel and I kept hitting them when I did not want to. Finally got tired of it and took the plunge to correct it. I have been extremely happy that I made the switch and think it was worth every penny!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not hard to have it done unless you have the multi-function wheel. In that case, the "multi-function" moves to a new stalk. It's my understanding that involves more work and the wheel package has a higher price. If you don't have the multi-function wheel, it's supposed to be a fairly straight forward wheel swap.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I have PDK with no other options on the wheel. I ordered it and installed myself. It's super easy. Took about 10 minutes total. The change to paddle shifters is magic.

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Its not just aesthetic. The contours on the 9 and 3 thumb rests are different between the Sport and regular/multifunction wheels, and depending on your grip, a Sport Design wheel will be noticeably different when driving. I find Sport Design wheels quite uncomfortable...most here don't agree, don't notice or don't care.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have PDK with no other options on the wheel. I ordered it and installed myself. It's super easy. Took about 10 minutes total. The change to paddle shifters is magic.
Do your "Sport" and "Sports plus" and "Launch control" lights work? Also if you pull back both paddles at once are you able to drop the car into neutral? I just wanted to make sure you get full function of the wheel.

My lights don't work on the wheel and I showed it to my SA. Dealership worked on it for a few hours and deemed wheel needs to be replaced and its currently on back order.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did it to my 2013 BS -- or the dealer did it for my car to be precise. I had them order the wheel to make sure that I got all the right components. Took about 2 hours or so and was a bit less than $2k if I remember right (If you need the exact price let me know and I'll find the invoice.)

My car has PDK and had the original wheel with those little "ears" on the wheel and I kept hitting them when I did not want to. Finally got tired of it and took the plunge to correct it. I have been extremely happy that I made the switch and think it was worth every penny!!
I have the 6-speed without the multi-function steering wheel, so I suppose this type of sports design wheel will be cheaper than the one you got. Was the $2k including labor, parts, everything included? I appreciate if you can tell me how much it cost you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where did you get it from? do you have the DIY for this?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Do your "Sport" and "Sports plus" and "Launch control" lights work? Also if you pull back both paddles at once are you able to drop the car into neutral? I just wanted to make sure you get full function of the wheel.

My lights don't work on the wheel and I showed it to my SA. Dealership worked on it for a few hours and deemed wheel needs to be replaced and its currently on back order.
I don't have Sport Plus, so I can't tell you about those features, but it does go to neutral when you pull both paddles.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
where did you get it from? do you have the DIY for this?
I got the wheel from SunCoast. There is an existing DIY (a very good one) on this site. But I forget exactly where. Do a search and it should pop up.

·
Registered
381 Posts

My lights don't work either. I thought my car doesn't have Sports Chrono that my Sports design wheel doesn't light up. I thought only Sports plus light is available. I will have to check it with the dealer.

When I pull both paddles it goes into Neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
My lights don't work either. I thought my car doesn't have Sports Chrono that my Sports design wheel doesn't light up. I thought only Sports plus light is available. I will have to check it with the dealer.

When I pull both paddles it goes into Neutral.

Sounds like you have an issue - Pressing even Sport should light the wheel up. With Sports Plus you get Sports Plus on the wheel and also Launch Control lights up when the car is ready to fly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like you have an issue - Pressing even Sport should light the wheel up. With Sports Plus you get Sports Plus on the wheel and also Launch Control lights up when the car is ready to fly.
Thank you for reassuring me. I thought the steering wheel lightup function only comes with Sports Chrono.

Reactions: riccijandu

·
Registered
381 Posts
I took the issue with the SA and he said without Sports Chrono, no LED at all. I dont get it. Is there anyone without Soprts Steering wheel with led light available?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I took the issue with the SA and he said without Sports Chrono, no LED at all. I dont get it. Is there anyone without Soprts Steering wheel with led light available?

I think I found your issue:

From the Suncoast Porsche website:

When PDK has been combined with the optional Sport Chrono Package, the left- and right-hand spokes additionally feature a display that tells you whether the SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Launch Control functions have been activated.

Reactions: chickahoy69

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a 2014 CS with pdk and sport design wheel (no sports +)and no led's light up on the wheel when I'm in sport mode. I kind of wish they would but I don't loose sleep over it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think I found your issue:

From the Suncoast Porsche website:

When PDK has been combined with the optional Sport Chrono Package, the left- and right-hand spokes additionally feature a display that tells you whether the SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Launch Control functions have been activated.
Thanks for the resource, but I don't know if thats truly accurate (but you may be right)...if you look into the the areas where the LED are (particularly in varying light) you can see an outline that shows "SPORT (PLUS)" and "LAUNCH CONTROL"...it would be very odd and perhaps not economical to make wheels with and without LEDs...my SA ordered me a new wheel...lets see what happens...I'll keep the group posted, but thanks on the insight riccijandu

1 - 19 of 19 Posts