Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my 2014 981 boxster s, and as I was testing out the sport plus mode, the gear would not shift up even at 7k rpm. I had to up shift the gear as I freaked out a little bit. At what speed/rev should the gears change up?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sports + on PDK full auto is a track only mode. You will need to shift manually on the street
I have a manual but pretty sure sport plus doesn’t shift until red line.
My '09 987.2 shifts around 7,300 in Sport Plus - not really too street friendly. It's really screaming when it shifts.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah, put it in manual mode and you're fine. You might consider RTFM as well, that's exactly as intended and described.

Of course if you flick it back over to auto as you're coming up to your driveway in anticipation of soon putting it in reverse, it WILL immediately do what it wants to do in Auto mode and switch to whatever gear is just below redline. Ask me how I know.....;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I enjoy driving on the road in Sport mode with the PDK in Manual, and keep the revs above 4k. It will be plenty responsive. I dont think you need to go to redline in spirited driving.

I've only used SPORT PLUS on the track and the upshifts are like getting kicked in the butt.

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S
32 Posts
Anyone notice a very hard shift from 1st to 2nd? The remaining are fine, however the initial is quite jarring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
sport plus usage on regular roads is used for:
1) manual shifting only
2) restricting farts and burps on PSE
3) losing your driving permit when used in automatic mode

Did anybody here used sport plus in auto mode on a track ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
633 Posts
Sport Plus is perfect for the track. Worthless for the street.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sport Plus is perfect for the track. Worthless for the street.
Why do you say Sport Plus is worthless for the street? I drive in Sports Plus all the time and enjoy it. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Why do you say Sport Plus is worthless for the street? I drive in Sports Plus all the time and enjoy it. Just curious.
He and the OP are talking about Sports + and auto mode with PDK which I highly doubt you are doing "all the time" unless you like your car to upshift each gear at 7K and downshift when you slow down just as aggressively? Sport + with PDK in manual mode is required and has been specifically noted in the discussion a few times already if that is what you are talking about

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
633 Posts
He and the OP are talking about Sports + and auto mode with PDK which I highly doubt you are doing "all the time" unless you like your car to upshift each gear at 7K and downshift when you slow down just as aggressively? Sport + with PDK in manual mode is required and has been specifically noted in the discussion a few times already if that is what you are talking about
Exactly.

With the PDK in Sport+ auto mode, the car is aggressively downshifting, bogging the engine on coasting/deceleration at low speeds, and running the car up to redline to upshift, and eliminating 7th gear. I don't know why you would want to do that driving from stoplight to stoplight or cruising on the highway.

In manual mode, Sport+ really doesn't really act much different than Sport, except for a slight accelerator remap and a little quicker clutch release when gears are changed.

In all modes, Sport+ engages PSE and activates PASM and PADM sport if you have them, so I guess it saves you a button press if you like these settings in manual mode.

Sport+ also loosens the tolerances for PSM to allow more slip angle, but that is not something particularly helpful on the street. Those power-slides on the exit ramp are still going to require you to disable PSM. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
As said a PDK with Sport+ will shift at redline. If you are accelerating it will shift to the next higher gear at redline. If you stop accelerating before redline, it will stay at that RPM and not shift unless you manually shift.
I mainly use Sport+ for Auto-X and usually in Auto mode because it does such a good job of shifting.
I do use Sport+ sometimes on the street for spirited driving in a canyon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Timely topic as I just traded my 2014 911 Carrera for a 2018 Macan GTS with Sport+. Didn't really understand how it works until reading this thread. Thanks!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts