Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Sapphire Met Blue 2015 Porsche Cayman Bas, PDK, 20" Carrera whls, Bose, Prem Pkg, 14 wy Sprt Sts
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the tire pressure sensors and, if so, what was the cost?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just ordered a set for my 981 from tpms.com for $39each. I bought the generic Huf sensors not the Porsche branded sensors.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I ordered from the same place for my 987.2, works great same brand as OEM, no programming needed.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
669 Posts
I had a couple replaced at Discount Tire about 18 months ago for $60 each including installation.

·
Registered
Sapphire Met Blue 2015 Porsche Cayman Bas, PDK, 20" Carrera whls, Bose, Prem Pkg, 14 wy Sprt Sts
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
* L * My nearest Porsche dealer (Porsche of Redwood City) charged me $1948.63 to replace the pressure sensors and mount and balance 4 new tires...provided by me.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
* L * My nearest Porsche dealer (Porsche of Redwood City) charged me $1948.63 to replace the pressure sensors and mount and balance 4 new tires...provided by me.
Yikes! You do know that's no more than a $100 or so job, excluding the cost of sensors and tires, most anywhere else right? I just paid $240 for sensors through Tire Rack, bought 4 new Michelin tires for $1100 and had everything installed at a Tire Rack recommended installer for $25 per wheel, which included Road Force balancing. That's all in for $1440, compared to your all in number of approximately $3300. They don't call them "stealers" for nothing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Porsche should give away cars at cost since they maker virtually all their money from obscenely expensive service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes! You do know that's no more than a $100 or so job, excluding the cost of sensors and tires, most anywhere else right? I just paid $240 for sensors through Tire Rack, bought 4 new Michelin tires for $1100 and had everything installed at a Tire Rack recommended installer for $25 per wheel, which included Road Force balancing. That's all in for $1440, compared to your all in number of approximately $3300. They don't call them "stealers" for nothing.
My 981 was under an extended Porsche warranty. This all started when my right rear Pirelli P Zero 265x35 tire acquired a nail in the side wall (happened twice) to find out that Pirelli no longer made the replacement tire the last time this happened. I also had a tire insurance policy sold by my Porsche dealer but I found out that it only covered the tires if purchased and installed through the dealer. Then I find out (according to Porsche Redwood City) that I couldn't just replace that tire with a different brand but same size...I have to replace all four tires. I also mentioned that I was getting tire pressure warnings (prior to the last tire failure) and asked whether the tire sensors were covered under the extended warranty. "Oh no!" said my dealer. "They're normal wear and tear so the replacements aren't covered but since you have to replace all 4 tires, we'll just replace the tire sensors at the same time, thank you very much".....hence the $1948.63. I got the tires from another supplier for (only) $1627.74 so the total cost was $3576.37...I'm sure if I had gotten the tires (Michelin) from Porsche, it would have cost me at least another $4-500 dollars. My extended warranty ended on 12/27/20. Needless to say...Porsche will NEVER see me again....

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
When I bought tires from tirerack I had a set of wheel that I used for cold weather that had never had TPMS, when I had tires shipped to a tire rack approved shop I provided my $30 sensors from tpmsdirect , the cost was $0 for installation, I paid my normal mounting fee of about $100, some places think you have to program sensors but all you need to do is reset on the dash, very easy it is in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I like tires from tirerack, good price and they give me the manufacturing date before they are shipped.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
My 981 was under an extended Porsche warranty. This all started when my right rear Pirelli P Zero 265x35 tire acquired a nail in the side wall (happened twice) to find out that Pirelli no longer made the replacement tire the last time this happened. I also had a tire insurance policy sold by my Porsche dealer but I found out that it only covered the tires if purchased and installed through the dealer. Then I find out (according to Porsche Redwood City) that I couldn't just replace that tire with a different brand but same size...I have to replace all four tires. I also mentioned that I was getting tire pressure warnings (prior to the last tire failure) and asked whether the tire sensors were covered under the extended warranty. "Oh no!" said my dealer. "They're normal wear and tear so the replacements aren't covered but since you have to replace all 4 tires, we'll just replace the tire sensors at the same time, thank you very much".....hence the $1948.63. I got the tires from another supplier for (only) $1627.74 so the total cost was $3576.37...I'm sure if I had gotten the tires (Michelin) from Porsche, it would have cost me at least another $4-500 dollars. My extended warranty ended on 12/27/20. Needless to say...Porsche will NEVER see me again....
I'm not sure that what they said was correct. Pirelli P Zero N spec are still available here in AU. I suspect that it was about inventory not obsolescence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts