Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

981 top inner liner wires loose

703 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sjinoek 
#1 ·
New member to the forum but 981 owner since 2016. Searched forum but can't find my soft top issue. One of the plastic clips on the top frame broke and now the inner liner guide or tension wires are loose. Looks like it is not affecting anything for now other than the wires hanging loose from side of top in front of side window. Can't find the small clip as a part on the internet. Anybody familiair with this issue. And better, what is the fix without Porsche probably wanting to replace the complete top!!

Pics showing the faulty right side and the correct left side.

Like to get some advice. Thanks.
Bicycle Bicycle part Rim Bicycle frame Carbon
Automotive tire Vehicle door Fender Automotive exterior Bumper
Shoe Hood Motor vehicle Wood Bag

See less See more
#2 ·
Go to the link below and look at about the 10:40 mark. It explains what is going on.

Looking through the parts list I can't find that part individually, so your suspicion is correct that a new roof might be the reply from Porsche.

It's there to pull that part of the liner nice and tight along the side of the roof frame. To be frank it didn't seem to do a whole lot when I was playing with the roof while installing the liner. You could probably remove the cord completely with little effect. It won't hang loose as there is another cord running along the side that still holds things tight.

#3 ·
Good explanation. I opened and closed the top about 10 times in sequence and it does not seem that the loose wires affect anything. Guess you are right. For now I have put a tie wrap through the hole just above the damaged clip so at least the wires stay where they belong. So this might be the permanent fix then for the next couple of years. Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.