Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some reading that when you go into the TPMS menu you can select summer or winter wheels..

Is it correct to think it will remember the TPMS config for both sets of wheels when you change so you dont have to reset it every time you change wheel sets?

In other words it recognises the TPMS sensors on each set of wheels?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
No it doesn't remember. You have to select summer or winter. I just swapped to my winters again and had to select winter before it recalibrated.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
No it doesn't remember. You have to select summer or winter. I just swapped to my winters again and had to select winter before it recalibrated.
I think he's asking whether it will remember both sets of sensors such that you don't need to go to a dealer and pay them to reset it to the other set of wheels. Is that correct?

On many cars, you need to go to a dealership and have them set it up with the sensors as though you'd bought new ones. If you can do it yourself in the menu by switching to summer or winter, then that's great.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
It's DIY. In the menu. No dealer required.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It's DIY. In the menu. No dealer required.
This is good to know. If I ever decide to get winter tires, this is an incentive to get sensors in them. If I had to go to a dealer to get it set twice a year I wouldn't bother and would just ignore the light through winter like many people seem to do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm waiting for my car to be delivered still.. just under 3 weeks now to go!

I purchased a set of used 19" OEM Cayman S wheels which had worn summer tyres (non TPMS) and purchased some new winter N rated tyres to go on... I priced up OEM Porsche TPMS sensors and thought it was too much money to blow on wheels which will only be on the car for 3 months of the year so purchased some Titan TPMS sensors which are suppose to be compatible relatively cheaply! They say they are compatible with the 2013 Cayman so will try them out.

The winter tyres are now fitted to the wheels and as are the TPMS sensors so ready to go on near enough as soon as I get the car... I intend to swap the wheels over myself so will give the "winter tyre" setting a go in the menu after fitting. I've read that the car must be over 100 meters away from the other set of wheels before reset is done.

Fingers crossed they will work

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
I haven't tried a second set of sensors on my 981 yet, but on 987 you just swap the wheels, do a reset on the dash menu, and you're done. System will reset while you're driving.

I also have a couple of Toyota's where the car remembers the ID numbers on the sensors and a tool is needed to program new sensor IDs. I bought a reset tool and it works, but I'm thankful that Porsche has not taken this approach.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I haven't tried a second set of sensors on my 981 yet, but on 987 you just swap the wheels, do a reset on the dash menu, and you're done. System will reset while you're driving.
On the 981, there's no obvious way to do a reset. What you have to do is to select the type of wheels you have, even if its the same as the current wheel. The system then goes to learning mode.

That works when I swap between street and track wheels (both 19" summer), or if I want to reset the alert for a pressure drop, like when coming off track and the tire goes down 6psi, because its just cooled down by 60°F.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just to update this thread, I purchased some Titan TPMS sensors and fitted themn to my winter wheel/tyre set and fitted them last week.

Selected 19" winter wheels and it relearned new sensors after approx. 1 mile driving and work perfect!!!

Considering they cost around £100 ($150), it's a huge saving on OEM sensors!

Pics of winter wheels fitted :)

P1020240 by sootyvrs, on Flickr

P1020246 by sootyvrs, on Flickr

P1020251 by sootyvrs, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
1 mile driving and work perfect!!!
A week or so back, finally installed my new winters and selected 18" Winter. Got a screen display saying "learning", so I sat in the car a while waiting for the learning process to complete, nothing happened. Reading the manual, it says the car must be driven -- doh! Later on, the wife borrowed the car to buy groceries, she reported display normal by the time she got back -- I cannot report exactly how long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts