Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
At the last event in August, @100F ambient by the afternoon groups, in thin air, my display temp reading seemed to have maxed out in the 270-275ish range over @20 minute run groups - the water temp display never clicked off its 194F idiot setting, although my guess is the actual water temps would have risen significantly over the displayed 194.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I run the same track as mlpor. My car has the IPD plenum and Brombacher Header/Exhaust which provides a few more ponies. Max oil temps I have seen on the dash is 280 but most of the time in the 270 - 277 range. Water temp is stuck at 194 with one exception. A couple of weeks ago at Pueblo Motorsports, I saw the water temp gauge actually move all the way up to 216. My ECU reading on AIM Solo has never exceeded 240. FWIW.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
AIM solo engine temps or what temps at 240? I get max 275 also with aggressive driving in PDK.

I run the same track as mlpor. My car has the IPD plenum and Brombacher Header/Exhaust which provides a few more ponies. Max oil temps I have seen on the dash is 280 but most of the time in the 270 - 277 range. Water temp is stuck at 194 with one exception. A couple of weeks ago at Pueblo Motorsports, I saw the water temp gauge actually move all the way up to 216. My ECU reading on AIM Solo has never exceeded 240. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
AIM Solo temps are for water. I'm always in Sports Plus, usually driving pretty hard (but not neccessarily well).

AIM solo engine temps or what temps at 240? I get max 275 also with aggressive driving in PDK.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting,275F oil temp on track. I drove a 991 turbo S the other day and the analog gauge was red @250F. So does that mean porsche thinks anything over 250F is dangerous?
I guess 270ish is what 981s run on track. I haven't tracked my CS because this time of year our tracks are 100+F. I'll report in the fall. I cant remember if the GT3 and GT2 I had, had oil temp gauges? My Lotus ran 220 F on a 100F day. My TTRS ran 265F, TTS 245F. carl

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It's my understand that the 194 F. reading means the actual temp is in a range from 185-210F. Another case of where Porsche apparently doesn't think you need to know exactly what is going on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ran yesterday at the Ridge Motorsports Track in Washington where the OAT was 85deg and my oil temp hit 270. This is the highest I have seen and caused me to exit the track for a cool down. Folks this can't be good. I plan to do a little checking into this issue to see what I can find out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know if humidity would affect anything, but I was at Willow Springs yesterday - VERY dry and mid to upper 90's (high'ish altitude). I was running really hot laps and only saw 250. Tires got melty really quick, but oil temps weren't crazy.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
It's important to keep in mind that I drive at HPR. Mile high, hot, with 15 turns, and lots of elevation change. I used to be concerned but I have had extensive conversations about this with my mechanic and other very knowledgeable racers who do a lot of work on Porsche's as well, and they simply are not concerned about the higher temps.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if humidity would affect anything, but I was at Willow Springs yesterday - VERY dry and mid to upper 90's (high'ish altitude). I was running really hot laps and only saw 250. Tires got melty really quick, but oil temps weren't crazy.
Big willow isn't real hard on temps even though it gets really hot. It's a fast track lots of 100+ mph time =good air flow and cooling. The streets is harder on temps . Tighter and slower. Carl

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keep in mind that water temp is controlled with a thermostat that allows more or less coolant through the radiators to maintain the set point of, in this case 194 F. So long as the radiators are sized appropriately and have sufficient air flow through them be it by fan or by free airstream there is no reason why it would not hold a steady temp.

the water temp display never clicked off its 194F idiot setting, although my guess is the actual water temps would have risen significantly over the displayed 194.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Big willow isn't real hard on temps even though it gets really hot. It's a fast track lots of 100+ mph time =good air flow and cooling. Carl
Very true! However, as a side note, I was instructing a student in a 911 Turbo, PDK (wicked fast by the way - Man, I wish I had that kind of power in my car….). And near the end of a fast afternoon session, his PDK overheated and just …….slowed down……..couldn't go over about 50 or 60. So we crawled back in, and after an hour or so it was fine. Never seen that before….

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Keep in mind that water temp is controlled with a thermostat that allows more or less coolant through the radiators to maintain the set point of, in this case 194 F. So long as the radiators are sized appropriately and have sufficient air flow through them be it by fan or by free airstream there is no reason why it would not hold a steady temp.
That is all true, but if you hook up an OBD reader to your car, you'll see the temperature gauging moving around and the display fixed.
The Porsche repair manual states that an actual coolant temp can range from 185-221F. and still show 194 deg. F.

Note:
The coolant temperature gauge in the
instrument cluster shows 194° F (90° C)
at normal operating temperatures
(185° F - 221° F/85° C - 105° C).

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
What year was the 911T you were in? I can't speak for the 911 but earlier PDK Cayman models also had cooling issues causing the car to go into limp mode. This was corrected in the 981 models by Porsche adding a second cooling unit to the transmission.I have had no issues with my car going into limp mode.
Mike_in Oh is correct about the coolant temps. My ECU readings show that temps have, briefly, gone as high as 244degrees. Most of the time they are in the 220's - 230's.

Very true! However, as a side note, I was instructing a student in a 911 Turbo, PDK (wicked fast by the way - Man, I wish I had that kind of power in my car….). And near the end of a fast afternoon session, his PDK overheated and just …….slowed down……..couldn't go over about 50 or 60. So we crawled back in, and after an hour or so it was fine. Never seen that before….

·
Registered
268 Posts
What year was the 911T you were in? I can't speak for the 911 but earlier PDK Cayman models also had cooling issues causing the car to go into limp mode. This was corrected in the 981 models by Porsche adding a second cooling unit to the transmission.I have had no issues with my car going into limp mode.
Yup - I've heard that as well. I think it was a 2011. Thanks for that info - good to know.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Would be interesting to see what kind of oil temps the GTS gets with them having a 3rd radiator.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts