Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would like to revive this post a bit. It's been several years, I'm curious what has been learned in that time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would like to revive this post a bit. It's been several years, I'm curious what has been learned in that time.
I'm normally in the 230-240F range when tracking hard in sport plus mode. In 95F ambient temps (track temp over 100F) I've seen as high as 250F.

When cruising down the road in "normal" mode (not sport or sport plus), the oil sits around 230F - which apparently the Porsche engineers thought was a perfectly normal and safe temperature for cruising long distances. There is no way another 20F is going to cause any kinds of problems.

Honestly I don't think there is anything to worry about with this car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm normally in the 230-240F range when tracking hard in sport plus mode. In 95F ambient temps (track temp over 100F) I've seen as high as 250F.

When cruising down the road in "normal" mode (not sport or sport plus), the oil sits around 230F - which apparently the Porsche engineers thought was a perfectly normal and safe temperature for cruising long distances. There is no way another 20F is going to cause any kinds of problems.

Honestly I don't think there is anything to worry about with this car.
I've seen 275F on the track more than once in Sport+ at high ambient temps (95+F). Really thinking about adding the 3rd radiator. I've read that M1 0W-40 is good to 300F with no thermal breakdown. I've had my oil analyzed by Blackstone and it has been in great condition, but that high temp worries me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've seen 275F on the track more than once in Sport+ at high ambient temps (95+F). Really thinking about adding the 3rd radiator. I've read that M1 0W-40 is good to 300F with no thermal breakdown. I've had my oil analyzed by Blackstone and it has been in great condition, but that high temp worries me.
You should certainly install a third radiator and consider adding a deep sump oil pan.

While I have a 987.2 (Cayman R w/PDK), the 981's suffer the same issues with cooling. My car already had the third radiator; I've added a BGB PDK diff cooler, LN Engineering deep sump oil pan. These two mod have helped reduce my oil temps significantly; down to 240-250 on track. I have a 997.2 oil heat that has the power steering circuit removed and an independent power steering cooler (both from LN Engineering); the 997oil cooler is larger and allows for better heat transfer, cooling the power steering independently reduces the thermal load on the coolant system.

Note 'deepbluejh' drives a 6MT, hence his car runs cooler. You (and I) have PDK, it runs hotter and it is wise to invest in cooling the car a bit better if you track it.

Cheers,
DJM

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
IIRC, Sport + keeps the engine turning in the peak HP ranges so that the car can deliver max perf. on the track. I have a manual and usually try to keep it under 7K RPM for longevity sake. Had a track event sponsored by a dealer a few years back and had a chance to do some laps in sport+ in a 981 GTS and 991--all with PDKs.
It was a hoot for sure to let the tranny keep the motor in those ranges going around the track, but since there's no prize money involved here, I wouldn't want to do it in my car.
On another subject--and this has been kicked round on a lot of threads--I started using a 5W-40 oil on our departed 987 after a hot day at Mid-OH in '07' when the car sounded louder than usual after coming off the track and have kept doing so on the 981. I like Motul X-cess in this grade and have to say (knock on wood) even after being on the track the motor is quiet and smooth in operation.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I won't go onto the track unless oil temp is 180F or higher and I will sit idling in the paddock area until temperature is reached. I run only Sport mode as Sport+ is too twitchy with my tune and it is impossible to smoothly add power exiting a curve with Sport+ in my car. Gas pedal becomes full on or off in Sport+ in 1/4 inch of pedal travel.

The reason that I get the oil temperature up before going on the track is that the factory piston to cylinder wall clearance, when new, is under 0.001", which is very tight - especially for aluminum (alusil) cylinders and block. Once 25,000 miles are reached, the normal wear increases the clearance and initial oil temperatures are not as critical.

With tune, third radiator and advanced insulation and GT4 side air scoops, I am only hitting 230F at the end of a 20 minute session. By the time of the cooling down lap and driving to the paddock, my car is usually already under 200F in 50F ambient temperatures.

V6

·
Registered
41 Posts
2015 GTS PDK here that sees regular track duty in hot Florida. I push the car pretty hard, and will back off for a lap if I see temps hit 260*, which generally only happens when ambient temperature is in the upper 80s or more.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The main question I have is whether the 3rd radiator will really help. Since my coolant temps stay within the normal range which the car pegs at 194, will extra cooling capacity on the coolant lines really help with oil temps? My high oil temps generally come at ambient temps over 95F. In the 80's, my temps are probably comparable to your GTS with the third radiator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The main question I have is whether the 3rd radiator will really help. Since my coolant temps stay within the normal range which the car pegs at 194, will extra cooling capacity on the coolant lines really help with oil temps? My high oil temps generally come at ambient temps over 95F. In the 80's, my temps are probably comparable to your GTS with the third radiator.
I seem to recall (but wouldn’t bet my life on it) reading a post or two where someone was having issues with oil getting too hot so installed a third radiator and saw oil temps drop 15-20* on subsequent events under similar conditions.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The factory limits the instrument cluster display to 194F regardless of what it actually is to prevent people from panicking when high coolant temperatures are reached. Coolant is regulated in normal, non-Sport modes to 224F, above boiling temperature for water, for the purposes of fuel economy and emissions. It is regulated lower in Sport or Sport+ modes via a computer controlled thermostat.

The display will eventually show a temp over 194F when the car truely is overheated.

V6

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
SPAL makes the best fans for radiators - oil and water. Great selection from this Italy based company ( I don't sell em, just a tip)

·
Registered
528 Posts
I saw V6 did some pretty serious work with thermal wraps to reduce engine compartment heat. I'm wondering if anyone else has ventured down this path?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I saw V6 did some pretty serious work with thermal wraps to reduce engine compartment heat. I'm wondering if anyone else has ventured down this path?
Yes, I am taking multiple paths to controlling temps, including thermal wraps for my headers. I have a set of Cargraphic race headers to which I will have Headershield applied. There are a number of other areas where thermal wraps/shields can be applied, but header are the one of the key sources of heat *and* they right next to the gearbox, engine, and shocks.

DJM

·
Registered
267 Posts
As noted elsewhere in this thread: the 194 reading you see is false, your coolant temps are higher than indicated. A simple app such as 'Torque' and a bluetooth dongle can get you realtime coolant temps over ODB ports.

The center radiator should be considered mandatory for tracked cars with PDK: the coolant is doing extra duty cooling the clutch fluid and the differential oil. And yes, the center radiator will increase the cooling capacity of your car.

DJM

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I have the Swain treatment on the headers. The headers are cooler, but oil temps can still reach 275F on the track.. I'm at mile high. 90F at this altitude is harder to deal with than 100F at sea level. I also have the GT4 nose with the larger center radiator (CSF).
I have an auxiliary cooler installed for the diff. Next up is the larger cooler for PDK (sold my LN Engineering) BGB also has a larger engine cooler that they use on the 3.4. I am also considering switching out the 1/4 windows with Lexan/Naca ducts and force air through the engine cover as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the Swain treatment on the headers. The headers are cooler, but oil temps can still reach 275F on the track.. I'm at mile high. 90F at this altitude is harder to deal with than 100F at sea level. I also have the GT4 nose with the larger center radiator (CSF).
I have an auxiliary cooler installed for the diff. Next up is the larger cooler for PDK (sold my LN Engineering) BGB also has a larger engine cooler that they use on the 3.4. I am also considering switching out the 1/4 windows with Lexan/Naca ducts and force air through the engine cover as well.
I saw a large reduction in engine oil temps after installing an LN Engineering deep sump for the 9A1; LN also has a larger engine oil heat exchanger that I plan to install soon. Also considering the Lexan quarter window and Naca ducts to force some fresh air into engine compartment.

Curious as to which aux cooler you installed for the diff?

DJM

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Not certain but i think it was a Laminova. Cervelli Tech in Denver installed it for me. Keeps the Guard diff nice and cool!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been working on this issue for a few seasons as well... Track exclusively in the Chicago area - Autobahn CC, Blackhawk Farms, and Road America... Track season is April-Oct, but the summer can be plenty hot.
981S with no center radiator - when starting to track this car, oil temps were getting really high - normally 270+, and once saw it get up to 282...
Added center radiator - normally 265+ and at times (long sessions or warmer days with less down time between sessions) would see 270+.
Added LN deep sump, PDK cooler, and CSF center radiator - helped further, now rarely above 270, and generally in the low 260s...
Added LN Oil Heat Exchanger - not yet above 270 and very consistent high 250 / low 260s...

This was done over a period of ~2years, so a good number of track days in between each change. For fellow PDK owners, I think the PDK cooler is a critical addition - there is no PDK temp guage, and I at least am not capturing that through my CAN-BUS Aim system... With oil temps getting where they were, you can only imagine what PDK temps looked like...

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
71 Posts
I have been working on this issue for a few seasons as well... Track exclusively in the Chicago area - Autobahn CC, Blackhawk Farms, and Road America... Track season is April-Oct, but the summer can be plenty hot.
981S with no center radiator - when starting to track this car, oil temps were getting really high - normally 270+, and once saw it get up to 282...
Added center radiator - normally 265+ and at times (long sessions or warmer days with less down time between sessions) would see 270+.
Added LN deep sump, PDK cooler, and CSF center radiator - helped further, now rarely above 270, and generally in the low 260s...
Added LN Oil Heat Exchanger - not yet above 270 and very consistent high 250 / low 260s...

This was done over a period of ~2years, so a good number of track days in between each change. For fellow PDK owners, I think the PDK cooler is a critical addition - there is no PDK temp guage, and I at least am not capturing that through my CAN-BUS Aim system... With oil temps getting where they were, you can only imagine what PDK temps looked like...
I do not track my CS but I did install the CSF radiator when I added my third radiator to protect my PDK and saw about a 10 degree drop in temperature. I installed my Cobb Accessport with PDK flash with a dash mount and set up the 6 gauge cluster on the Cobb. You have the option to monitor up to six functions out of many options. You can monitor the actual water temperature ( not the genetic 194 F) and see it drop when you put it into sport mode. I also normally monitor oil temp which is actually close to the cluster readout and also PDK fluid temperature as well as Trans temperature. Some of the other options are A/F ratio, exhaust gas temperature, spark advance, PDK clutch pressure, RPM with shift lights and dozens more. This all runs off of the OBD port so I do not know the accuracy of all of the functions but it is easy to change what you want to monitor by browsing through multiple screen and clicking on.

So I encourage anyone that already has the Cobb to try out the Gauge function and you will also see from my photo that it also does data logging and even displays the low/high number even if you do not turn on the logging.
Jim

101 - 120 of 126 Posts