Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
No one seems to have mentioned installation of catless race headers which have been given an external and internal high quality ceramic coating like Jet Hot.

I am slowly gathering data as I move into DE after years of road-racing non-P cars, but standing alone this seem to have a significant positive effect on controlling engine oil temps during DE events.

My observation from years of road-racing a D-Production MGB pushed out to the max (and, unfortunately, too-often beyond) is that high-quality inside/outside ceramic coating of the header is superior to header wrap.

My other observation is that diff/ tranny fluids on a DE 981 pushed hard should be changed every 15-20 track hours or so.

I have a '14 BS MT.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I did my PDK & diff fluid at 60K miles and about 30 track days and it looked like new.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did my PDK & diff fluid at 60K miles and about 30 track days and it looked like new.
I should have clarified that I was referring to MT only. I don't know about PDKs, but would be surprised if that was much different. And, oil analysis is the only way to really know.

Much may depend on how the car is driven.

BTW, I base this metric on SOP from my prior race experience but also on recent discussions with Porsche race techs from larger teams. I always try to talk to these guys when at the track about various issues, and they are always willing to chat if you catch them at the right time. They are not in the business of selling redundant lubricants, and I heed their advice.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The general feeling from most people is that changing lubricants is "cheap insurance", rather than really bother to understand whether a lubricant is still effective and why. Modern synthetic lubricants last a lot longer than most people give them credit for.

I've been doing Blackstone analysis on all my oil changes and have been using Mobil 1 0W-40 FS. Even going up to 10K miles with a few track days scattered in, the Blackstone analysis indicates the oil condition and wear metal content is comparable to typical change interval for this engine type at 4K miles, and the oil has a lot more life in it. Of course, it's "cheap insurance", so no sense pushing it to the limit.

Reactions: ajahearn

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting to hear, thanks. I will change engine and transaxle oil this weekend and have both analyzed. When I have the analysis, if there is anything commentworthy I will post.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Mobil 5-50 is all I use in my car. Will hold up much better at the track, protect your engine better, and is probably 0-40 after a few weekends at the track anyway. That and a 3rd radiator are very important to keep your motor in good health.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts