Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have searched the forum and there’s talk about when to change the pump ie. at 40k or wait for it to let go and then change it.

I’m at 45k and will be doing the drive belt so wanted to tackle this at the same time.

have only seen 987 guides and videos online. Is there any guide for 981 or is it the same from previous gen?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm all for preventative maintenance but 40K sounds pretty early to me. On an engine with a timing belt, conventional wisdom says that if you're replacing that, you should do the water pump too since you've already torn it all apart and it's like right there. Recommended timing belt replacement mileage varies, but usually 60-100K. And at this point, the water pump is usually still working just fine.

I'll be tackling my accessory belt next spring/summer so definitely interested in the opinion of others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Am I wrong, but don’t these cars having timing chains, not belts?

Changing the serpentine belt at 45K also seems “excessive”. Why not simply make a visual inspection? Id it’s showing cracks, etc then change it. If not, enjoy driving the car. The factory maintenance schedule says “inspect” (not replace) at 60K/6years. I just inspected mine (6 years/50K miles) and it’s fine.

As for the water pump, unless you are seriously tracking the car and worried about a catastrophic failure, a leaking water pump will give you plenty of warning — via dripping coolant — that it needs replacement. Unless it has known failure points like the plastic impeller blades on BMW’s and you don’t want to damage the engine, I think you can save yourself some time and $ by leaving well enough alone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For many of these cars, you reach 6 years before 60k mile 1st belt change schedule. I had mine changed soon after I bought the car in January. Car is now over 7 yrs old with 24000 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts