Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully that thread title grabbed your attention...:banana:

So, when I took delivery of my 981 last summer, I noticed the passenger interior door rubber molding - around the opening - not on the door... was all wavy. I even checked out all the cars on the floor... nope... all perfect.

Dealer replaced it, it was better, but not perfect like the drivers side was.

Now that the car's out of winter hibernation, now both the driver and passenger door opening moldings got all wavy. Sitting in the driver's seat, you can see it at the bottom of the door... and Yes. it bugs me. (And no, I'm not the only O.C.D. M.Fer on this board...)

I will add some pics to the thread when I can get away from my desk.

Anyone else have bacon moldings?

25ec4e2ac9ac1b62746df7fdc554202c.jpg

·
Registered
499 Posts
im not even going to look at my car so that I don't notice, itll drive me mad

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep ... not acceptable.
I'd be crowing to the dealer until this gets fixed.

Reactions: Rubber Chicken

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
What does this have to do with lap times?

Reactions: Donalan

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The passenger door was like that when new and then replaced week 1... and turned to bacon again. Drivers side too.

No heat, nothing... That passenger seat has only been sat in 10 times at best.

Dealer ordered new molding for both sides... but I'm not confident its going to solve it... and my feeling is neither are they.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Okay, after reading this I had to go into the garage and have a look at my CGTS. To my surprise :crazy:, I did locate one area on the drivers side that appeared wavy and looked much like your photo. Upon closer inspection, it appeared that the molding had folded under itself for about an inch. I was able to pry it out with a small screwdriver and now all is well. :dance:

Reactions: Rubber Chicken

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, dealer replaced both sides... but quite honestly... passenger side looks the same, drivers side looks totally worse. now there is a big hump in the corner on the drivers side.

They told me the warmer weather will help them lay flatter, but I don't buy it.

I refuse to be a d*ck about it, because I really like the guys at the dealership. Now what to do? :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, apparently they used some black glue to install the moldings... and now its oozing out. Bad move - that is not factory and that is not acceptable.

That stuff got on the carpets, door jambs, on the plastic, and on the leather.

Found two scratches in the passenger side door jamb. I called Porsche NA about this. Waiting for a call back.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The only issues I've had with my own 981 involve plastic trim pieces. The dash to sill plastic piece popped out of its groove and bled that black sticky stuff all over my light carpet. I also had a plastic trim piece by the seat belt slot pop out, then catch and break the seat back recliner lever. I haven't yet checked for warping on the trim you're referring to.

Just so you know, the black sticky stuff did all clean off with a few applications of a carpet cleaner, so it does not stain permanently.

EDIT: Just checked, and the trim pieces on the bottom of both doors are straight with no warping.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Notice the same thing on passenger side (driver's side perfect). I tried to fiddle with it to no avail. Its not that bad and rather keep it as is then have the dealer make it worse.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Rule #1: Never take the car to the dealer unless absolutely necessary. They will f*#k it up.

Reactions: swessels
1 - 17 of 17 Posts