Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PCA-OCR had its 1st 2015 Autocross Event and it was a success with over 100 drivers. Here is the list of 981s that came out to play.

Number - Year - Make Model
88 - 2013 - Porsche Boxster
981 - 2013 - Porsche Boxster S
479 - 2013 - Porsche Boxster S
390 - 2014 - Porsche Cayman
100 - 2014 - Porsche Cayman S
933 - 2014 - Porsche Cayman S
483 - 2014 - Porsche Boxster S
687 - 2015 - Porsche Boxster GTS
548 - 2015 - Porsche Cayman GTS

One PDK experienced problem and shutdown.

Here are the pictures of 981s that I found and these photos were taken by Mike Knudsen Photography.

Here is the link to the full Flickr Album of the event https://www.flickr.com/photos/ocrautox/sets/72157650613197667/

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Man, I really need to get some miles on my car and get connected with PCA and other groups. Looks like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, I really need to get some miles on my car and get connected with PCA and other groups. Looks like a lot of fun!
Put a thousand miles on your car then come out. This place is one of the best place to autocross as it's wide open with nothing to hit. Yes people use launch control, we do max out on second gear and sometime need third for a few second. The park is going away in the name of progress and this soon will be replaced by high capacity housing. I think we have six month to a year so at least come out once, if not to drive at least to see.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good to see someone else running the number 981!

The Peachstate season doesn't start until April, can't wait!

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
PCA OCR runs an excellent event. I ran my first event when the car was two months old in fall 2006 - finishing 1st of 13 in class and beginning the slide down the slippery slope. I have not been back for a while, but I do think about stopping by - maybe even bring the Cayman back for one final day before the facility closes. Great folks and a fun day.

Old AX Picture (friend driving):

March 18 AX - Eguina.JPG

Current Picture:

Laguna 2014 - Crop.jpg

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More pictures of 981s Autocross at Orange County - March 2015 AutoX

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm #479, and it was my PDK that took a crap on my first timed run in February...

Here's the video of the crap-out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1KdVfaW69k&index=2&list=PLWs5lVyR-WIuYDcWJbpOqA1muKPwv5A1y

Good news, at least, is that it was just some sort of computer glitch. I finished the day out, and the dealer had it for a week, tested everything, ran it all by Porsche tech, and gave it the all-clear. Haven't had an issue since, and I ran it at Streets of Willow a couple weeks later.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Reactions: qhb

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have just bought a 981 BGTS and are planning to Autocross with it here in Sweden. I have a set of 18" 987.1 Cayman S rims that I´m planning to put Michelin SuperSport in dimension 245/40-18 / 275-40-18. Do you guys think these tires are better then the standard 20" Pirelli PZero tires? (In my class is street tires the only option).

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can say, without a doubt, that the PSS tires are MUCH more predictable than the P-Zeros.

I did the switch, and couldn't be happier. Keep in mind, they seem to heat up and build pressure faster, so keep an eye on them. I'm finding that 37-38 PSI HOT is where you want to be... If I start out with 33, they get up to 41-42 after about 4 autocross laps on a warm day.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have just bought a 981 BGTS and are planning to Autocross with it here in Sweden. I have a set of 18" 987.1 Cayman S rims that I´m planning to put Michelin SuperSport in dimension 245/40-18 / 275-40-18. Do you guys think these tires are better then the standard 20" Pirelli PZero tires? (In my class is street tires the only option).
For street tires (greater than 200 UTQG tread wear), the new "hot" tire is the Bridgestone RE-71. The last few years, Hankook RS3 version 2 was the top tire. These choices do well in Florida with our higher ambient temperatures. The RE-71 is still so new, we do not know how long they will last but those who bought them a few weeks ago love them. Dunlop Direzza Star Spec 2 will not work since the tires do not match the wheels sizes for the 981. The tire sizes you show are perfect, but adjust your suspension to max camber available.

The Michelin PSS are great overall for the street but tend to roll the shoulder over in autocross. I run Nitto NT-01 but they take me into an R-compound classification.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did burn through a set of them pretty quickly... Shoulder chunked down to the cords.

I am running the XL rated version of them, so they have a stiffer sidewall, at least...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts