Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In helping my non-car-nut brother choose a new car with a lot of storage room that isn't an SUV, I urged him to look at the Mercedes E350 wagon. Comparing the specs to those of the 981S, it's absolutely amazing how close the gas mileage and horsepower ratings are, despite the fact that the Mercedes has all-wheel drive and weighs an additional 1237 pounds:

E350 Wagon 7-speed auto: 19mpg city/27mpg highway; weight: 4213 pounds; 302 hp

981S PDK: 21mpg city/30mpg highway; weight 2976 pounds; 315 hp

(The manual 981s does only 1 mpg better than the Mercedes on both city and highway.)

So, as impressive as Porsche engineering is on these new models, I'm actually more impressed (powertrain-wise) with the Mercedes engineers!

E350 4MATIC All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Wagon | Mercedes-Benz

Technical Specs - Boxster S - All Boxster Models - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

·
Registered
336 Posts
In helping my non-car-nut brother choose a new car with a lot of storage room that isn't an SUV, I urged him to look at the Mercedes E350 wagon. Comparing the specs to those of the 981S, it's absolutely amazing how close the gas mileage and horsepower ratings are, despite the fact that the Mercedes has all-wheel drive and weighs an additional 1237 pounds:

E350 Wagon 7-speed auto: 19mpg city/27mpg highway; weight: 4213 pounds; 302 hp

981S PDK: 21mpg city/30mpg highway; weight 2976 pounds; 315 hp

(The manual 981s does only 1 mpg better than the Mercedes on both city and highway.)

So, as impressive as Porsche engineering is on these new models, I'm actually more impressed (powertrain-wise) with the Mercedes engineers!

E350 4MATIC All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Wagon | Mercedes-Benz

Technical Specs - Boxster S - All Boxster Models - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
But Porsches are way more reliable. ;) Did your brother look at Subarus? I've never owned one, but I hear they make great 4WD wagons.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I don't want to dis the Engineers ar MB, but getting good gas mileage out of a heavy car isn't that difficult, if you aren't concerned about performance. I don't know anything about the MB you referanced, but I expect that it has a high (numerically low) rear axle gear ratio.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
But Porsches are way more reliable. ;) Did your brother look at Subarus? I've never owned one, but I hear they make great 4WD wagons.
They make best 4WD wagons! Interior plastics are cheap looking, but if you you can live with that - you can save big money and get better and more reliable car at the same time.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to dis the Engineers ar MB, but getting good gas mileage out of a heavy car isn't that difficult, if you aren't concerned about performance. I don't know anything about the MB you referanced, but I expect that it has a high (numerically low) rear axle gear ratio.
Great point! The final drive on the Benz is 3.07 and on the Porsche's PDK it's 3.89.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts