Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife tracks a BMW M235i, a very nice 330 hp car. Through Dinan, there is a clear upgrade path that could take it to 445 hp.

On the Porsche side, I have never been able to find anything like this. You can get some hp by tuning; some by airflow, and of course better lap times with suspension and tires. However, there seems to be an upper limit to how much power the car can be modded to.

True?

·
Registered
340 Posts
For $8-10K you can add a turbo that will put you around 430 HP range.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
If money is no object you can always transplant the GT4 engine, but more realistically Porsche tends to leave less margin on the table.(base 981 vs GTS for example).
I don't know what Dinan does specifically, but engine maps and bigger turbos, etc can probably account for the 100+bhp.
Back in the Goode olde days a few tuners had the path you were interested in published but not so much any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CGH3

·
Registered
222 Posts
First and formost, the M235i is turbocharged and the 981 Cayman S is not. A tuner can get a lot more out of a turbo engine than one that's not.

The 3.4L F6 responses well to mods that let it breath more freely. The following should get you 35-45 additional HP: headers, plenum & larger throttle body. high flow air filters and a good custom tune. This will set you back ~$6k.

·
Registered
340 Posts
First and formost, the M235i is turbocharged and the 981 Cayman S is not. A tuner can get a lot more out of a turbo engine than one that's not.

The 3.4L F6 responses well to mods that let it breath more freely. The following should get you 35-45 additional HP: headers, plenum & larger throttle body. high flow air filters and a good custom tune. This will set you back ~$6k.
Yup, I have done all those to my 981 BS and it is probably in that 355-360 HP range now, car is plenty fast and the header's really give it a great sound, but it sure was expensive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
yup, turbo vs non-turbo, thats different stuff. 718S gets 450hp with stage 2, my 981S with remap with bmc filters and 102 RON petrol, gets around 355. With headers , plenum, exhaust you end in the 375 (but that's little bit more than throwing some $$ to it (ca 10000 euro).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
710 Posts
Headers and a custom tune from COBB or the like is 90 percent of it. The plenum and throttle body don't add as much. Again here is a real world plot of these mods on someone's car from when COBB first came out with their tune. I have posted it a bunch of time, so sorry to those of you who keep seeing it. There is a healthy 40+ hp and tq gain over much of the rev range, which is excellent for a NA car. 48+ at 3700 rpm...wow. You are essentially getting back the 20 hp that Porsche handicapped us with because we have Caymans in order to protect the 911. Then, adding another 20 hp with the header and that which was left on the software table in the name of safety and durability by the manufacturer. Others have tried the throttle body and plenum and not found much further gain. Those parts work much better on a GT4 with the 3.8L motor.

Text Line Font Plot Design

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.