Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question from a real newbie. It seems that my 981 S Boxster is a bit more prone to having the tail come loose compared to my 987.2 Base Boxster. Driving the same roads and track (Lime Rock) I have noticed that accelerating quickly out of corners the new car's tail will come loose a bit easier than the base Boxster. The 981 has PASM where the 987 did not. The 981 has 20"wheels compared to the 17's. Is it the extra HP and torque? I have the stock alignment, could a different alignment help? The 981 seems a bit "floaty" compared to the 987. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
734 Posts
BS has 60HP more than 987.2 base. You will definitely feel it when you put the hammer down coming out of those corners.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My previous 6-speed 987.2 base with 18-inch wheels would never come loose in the back with PSM on. I now drive my base 981 6-speed with 19-inch wheels in Sport Plus constantly, which raises the intervention threshold for the PSM (and engages rev-matching). In this mode, it's relatively easy to have a little back-end slippage.

As a side note, I wish Porsche allowed more configuration options, because in the winter I'd like to have rev-matching engaged without lowering the PSM threshold.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My previous 6-speed 987.2 base with 18-inch wheels would never come loose in the back with PSM on. I now drive my base 981 6-speed with 19-inch wheels in Sport Plus constantly, which raises the intervention threshold for the PSM (and engages rev-matching). In this mode, it's relatively easy to have a little back-end slippage.

As a side note, I wish Porsche allowed more configuration options, because in the winter I'd like to have rev-matching engaged without lowering the PSM threshold.

I also drive mostly in Sport Plus but I did not realize this raises the PSM threshold. Now this make sense. Also I guess the extra HP and torque add to the slipperiness.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
HP will obviously get the back end out easier but the other thing to consider is your tires. I routinely slip my back end out in my 981BS coming out of turns when accelerating hard. I have the Good Year Eagles and I'm looking forward to replacing them with the PSSs.

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
...I have the stock alignment, could a different alignment help? The 981 seems a bit "floaty" compared to the 987. Any thoughts on this?...
Alignment definitely makes a difference on track. Ask for maximum negative camber up front and about half a degree more in back than in front. You will probably get aro0und -1.3 or -1.4 in front with PASM. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I have also found that on track, high tyre pressures on 20" wheels (P-Zeros) will make the 981S slide around a lot.

By high I mean 38 PSI and over.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

Agreed--there are times that I like driving in Sport mode but at the track it can make the throttle application jerk at times .
However, if it's not in sport, the oil temps go up. Porsche sees these changes as all or nothing, apparently.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have also found that on track, high tyre pressures on 20" wheels (P-Zeros) will make the 981S slide around a lot.

By high I mean 38 PSI and over.
From where I'm sitting it looks more like 8ε! No wonder you guys are sliding down there. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts