Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there any options for the 986 Boxster S (specifically 2003) with regard to the Plenum and Throttle Body modification. I contacted Softronic a while ago and they said they don't do one for the 986, so I was wondering:
Is there was another option?
Is it worth it on this engine? - I mean that might be why there isn't anything available as the characteristics of this engine might not make one worthwhile.

I'm shortly going to be doing the following:

Headers (without cats as we only run one set in Australia)- FVD
Cats (FVD)
Intake Mod (Not sure yet, but the shop i'm using claim the one they use is good for 10hp - he's raced Porsches for 40 years, is sending me some dyno sheets so i'm pretty confident in his claims).
Retune

Was thinking with these mods a larger Plenum and Throttle Body would round it off nicely if there was one available.

And before anyone suggests TURBO - would love to, but the cost to get the kit to Australia, getting engineer approval, and then trying to find someone to insure it, would be too much of a hassle at the moment. My car is a daily driver, so legality and insurance is important. When it becomes a weekend car, then I might talk to TPC and see about becoming the first TPC turbo Boxster in Australia :burnout:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just installed the IPD plenum on my Cayman... and it definitely gave me more hp, you can find my post with details in the dyno section. I know they make it for the 986 so it's worth looking into. I don't have any experience with the softronic unit so can't comment on that. good luck!
Did that include a larger throttle body?
Are you going to get a custom tune to take advantage of that mod?
Did you get it from RSS?

I have read on older posts floating around on different forums that RSS were going to make one for the 986, but when I go on their website and do a search based on a 986, nothing is available.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seal986box - thanks very much for that, makes it much easier to follow up. Will also give me the option of going through local suppliers.

Unfortunately these mods are going to have to wait a bit longer - trying to buy a house, final payment on a business I bought is coming due and getting married this year. So money that I haven't earnt yet is already allocated for other things. But it may be a present to myself and the car in 5 or 6 months to celebrate the arrival of spring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updates on the installed FVD Brombacher mods bin?
Due to a shipping delay, I only have the intake and re-tune done at the moment. This alone has made the car more enjoyable to drive - I can feel a bit more urge, better response in the 3k-5k rpm range, and the induction sound is great (although a little bit boomy with the top up - but only on full throttle).

I'm going to have to wait until next week to get the full FVD exhaust on - assuming the effing thing arrives this time. Patience is NOT a virtue i'm known for ;) and these WEEKS of waiting is killing me.

I'll post before and after dyno results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.