Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all :)

Anybody else done a 986 install here? If so did you buy some second hand 987 headers or just have the exhaust piping modified to suit?

I've seen aftermarket headers for 987's available in Japan for around $500 that might be a better option given I run a container from Japan to Aust around once a month.

Any recommendations on where I get my 987 throttle body from?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You start this thing yet?
Almost. Yesterday I approached a local workshop who will run my car up on the dyno pre-install, to get a baseline power figure and make sure the a/f ratio on the car is good. They will also do the only bit of the install that freaks me out, drilling / tapping the oil supply line.

I've also got to get my 3.4lt throttle body, getting that from Pelican but they want scans of license & credit card before they will ship.

Some q's

1) The pics show cutting out parts of the front bumper, I assume to aid airflow once you have installed the center radiator, however my car already has the center radiator fitted, thus I assume whatever Porsche did OEM should have facilitated airflow in this area? Or do I still cut?

2) The drilling & tapping into the engine scares the sh1t out of me! I note you guys suggest draining the oil prior to this. Is there not a chance that a minute metal fragment could somehow enter the oil system? If the oil was not drained, could the engine run to push oil out this new opening & push out any metal fragments with it?

3) What is the average turnaround time with the ECU flash? It must be returned to you? You can't send us the file for somebody to flash in here?

Thanks Case!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
So far no forum members in Sydney, a real piss off IMO.

You could meet up with WAY, a Melbourne member.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't found any real Australian presence on any Porsche / Coxster forums anywhere :/

Which is polar opposite from the previous Jap import forums I have frequented / run.

I only know of one other person (a friend of a friend) in Melbourne who said that he would be keen on a turbo kit for his Cayman S, if I can prove it can be done :)

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Ken, can we have an Australian Section?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there really enough of us here for them to bother?

Have you guys seen any other forums with much of an Australian presence?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
There's a Porsche Talk section in VW Votex forum under Australia, that's about the only worthwhile aussie Porsche discussion I've found here.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Almost. Yesterday I approached a local workshop who will run my car up on the dyno pre-install, to get a baseline power figure and make sure the a/f ratio on the car is good. They will also do the only bit of the install that freaks me out, drilling / tapping the oil supply line.

I've also got to get my 3.4lt throttle body, getting that from Pelican but they want scans of license & credit card before they will ship.

Some q's

1) The pics show cutting out parts of the front bumper, I assume to aid airflow once you have installed the center radiator, however my car already has the center radiator fitted, thus I assume whatever Porsche did OEM should have facilitated airflow in this area? Or do I still cut?

2) The drilling & tapping into the engine scares the sh1t out of me! I note you guys suggest draining the oil prior to this. Is there not a chance that a minute metal fragment could somehow enter the oil system? If the oil was not drained, could the engine run to push oil out this new opening & push out any metal fragments with it?

3) What is the average turnaround time with the ECU flash? It must be returned to you? You can't send us the file for somebody to flash in here?

Thanks Case!
Shoot tom an email [email protected]

he can answer the very technical questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add another Aussie Cayman S owner to the list. If all goes well I am up for the challenge. I will be looking forward to chasing 911's around a track. In ACT and awaiting to hear of someone Down Under, who has completed this upgrade.
I will be following this closely now that I know someone else is looking down the same path as I have been.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I did an install last year - finally got everything sorted but there's lots of small things that are not clear in the instructions.

Happy to talk through the install - send me an email on [email protected] and I'll send you back my phone number.

The final result is absolutely fantastic and worth the work. Tom at TPC was also a big help.

I'm in Melbourne. Mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet.

I threw my car on the dyno the other day, put out 139rwkw on a dyno dynamics with healthy air fuels.

This was just to get a baseline reading & ensure the car was acting as it should before I hack away at it.

Expecting to take the car off the road in the next couple of weeks, which is well overdue, my last Toyota had 255rwkw I've really been missing having some powah!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay this build has finally begun. Pressure plate had bent arms/pins so new clutch has gone in, but found my dual mass flywheel r00ted as well, which is annoying as if I thought that needed doing as well, I would have bought TPC's X51 kit :(

Anyway, flywheel on its way from pelican parts. While waiting for that, we've fitted the GT3 cup plugs & replaced the engine mount. New drive shaft boots are in waiting. ECU is coming out ready to ship to TPC, then we'll do injectors, throttle, and work our way down.

Long time coming, the kit has been on the factory floor since FEB! However waiting it out enabled me to purchase a hoist for our factory which is making life a lot easier, although the damn thing has a hydraulic leak which has dropped fluid on my roof :(

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
what motor mount did you install? please make sure it is close to the OEM consistency... we have found that harder ones actually cause more vibration which pull engine timing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts