Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm posting here as I research more and more information about the 987. From what I've read there seems to be one primary thing to watch with the 987's - the bore scoring. This however isn't a problem on the 2.7 due to larger water jackets around the smaller cylinders (correct?) (Also not all 3.4's have this problem - just more people post with problems then with working cars!).

Back to the 2.7. From people that have driven the car in cold weather, does it seem unhappy on cold starts? (-20C ~ -4F)? Are there any other nagging issues/quirks that turn up in the winter? (i.e rough shifting until it heats, battery not powerful enough to crank, other issues enhanced by cold...). I'm planing on eventually picking one up as a daily (all weather- snow and all!) . I may track the car - but only with street tires so oil starvation shouldn't be a problem.

I'm assuming the interior should be fine considering its a relatively modern Porsche - but I have the read the radio quits around -25C - anyone actually notice this?

I will get a 5 speed - or a 6 speed with pasm if I can find it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi there!

Can't comment on the bore scoring issue, but I have also read that this is a non-issue on the 2.7L.

Got my Boxster about a month ago. I daily drive my 987.1 5spd and I have experienced Temps of 10-20F with no issue. Not as cold as you mention, but no problems in those Temps. Even though I daily drive it, I plug the car into a CTEK 3300 every night in the garage. Might be unnecessary, but worth the peace of mind IMO. Car starts perfectly every time.

The radio.. Is a piece of junk. Bought the car and it was dead, replaced the fuse and it turns on, but eats every CD I put into it. Have to turn my car on and off like 20 times before it decides to spit it out! Waiting on the MOST HUR and its being replaced with a Kenwood.

Regardless, the car is amazing. More power would be great, but the engine sounds GREAT and has plenty of power for a commute. The suspension will reward you when you get a but aggressive too ;)

Good luck with your hunt! Took me well over a month to find mine :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can say this is my first winter with the car and it handles the 40-50 degree winters in Florida well. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
From my 3 years living in beautiful Ottawa I know that what a Canadian winter is. At -25 or -30 C the oil on the gearbox turns into dough. I didn't have garage and block heater was mandatory. Also had battery maintainer connected and a little ceramic heater was working inside the car all night. Tough stuff. Where are you in Canada? Do you have garage? I have no idea if you can install block heater in a Porsche. Once you warm up the car things are OK but starts in the morning were pretty rough. I would use the best oil money can buy in engine and in transmission.
The 2.7 engine is pretty trouble free. I have not heard of any bore scoring on them and AFAIK Porsche fixed the issue with the larger engines.Good luck!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I live in Colorado and don't drive the car below +20F.

I have Mobil1 0W-30 installed. it would probably be OK, but there are enough problems with these cars.

My Volvo handles it just fine.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Can't speak to 987.1, but our 987.2 starts and runs like a champ even when temps are -35...so does 997.2. First couple of shifts are slllooowww until the gearbox (one PDK, one manual) heats up a bit. Both cars running on original batteries, and never had a cranking or battery discharge issue (use a maintainer if car isn't going to be run for more than a couple of days). At -30 or-35, the PCM display goes a little pink until it warms up, but no damage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the posts everyone.

I'm happy to hear mostly positive feedback. I do not plan on having more than one car if/when I own a cayman.

@Morde5 there is no block heater available for the cayman or any modern porsche I believe. I'm not a fool though- I start the car after clearing the snow, wait ~ 30 sec then take off to start the warm up. No idling.

@gcurnew Good to hear. I understand the 9A1's in your car are much more robust than the 3.4 M97's - Hoping the 2.7's are just as good at 9a1's!

@RandolTaveras I will probably end the MOST loop and install an android auto friendly stereo myself as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only worrying for now is I've read some speculation about the piston expanding faster than the cylinder during winter warm up - leading for it to partially seize and score the bore.
Anyone heard of this happening on the 2.7. I'm thinking that since the 2.7 is smaller than the 3,4 - it must expand less and potentially avoid the problem.

Again, this is probably blown out of proportion due to the internet effect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 987.1 3.4 07 and start mine every week and drive around my large driveway in the winter here in the US NE. I have a trickle charger and the car is plugged in most of the winter. In the three years I have owned this car never had an issue in the winter. One cold day thou I did hear a lifter noise louder than usual for like a minute. Never heard it again. Thinking the oil drained and took awhile for circulation due to temperature being 2 degrees that morning. After doing some research others experienced this issue including 981 model years on occasion once.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear!

Do you switch oil weights in the winter? And do you idle the car before you take off or just take off an go (after ~30 sec oil pressure buildup)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do not switch oil weights in the winter. I may change when in the season I change the oil thou. I do let it warm up for under a minute and always get it up to full operating temperature.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Good to hear!

Do you switch oil weights in the winter? And do you idle the car before you take off or just take off an go (after ~30 sec oil pressure buildup)
I use 0W-40 year round...and drive off after high idle speed has dropped down (somewhere around 30 or 40 seconds). I haven't used a block heater since the '80s, and have never seen a modern Porsche with one. I also use small amount of throttle and less than 4000 RPM until oil temperature gets up to 75 or 80 Celsius (997.2 has an oil temp guage).

Reactions: alphaboy1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the posts everyone. I'm actually not looking to get a 987 yet- just long term planning.
However, you have given me hope to keep the hunt on knowing it will work in winter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doing some research it looks like we can also install and accumulator to pre-oil the engine before cold starts. Further reducing the internet-induced anxiety. The goal is to get a 987 + a roof rack in the near future. Hopefully a base model - no electric seats or things to break.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm a hand full of months from having my 2007 non-S 2.7 for 10 years. I drive it year round and have not experienced any problems...:dance:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm a hand full of months from having my 2007 non-S 2.7 for 10 years. I drive it year round and have not experienced any problems...:dance:

I hear your winters are really cold out there !!!

Ahhh... But the heated seats in mine are so nice at times... and I'm not near really cold weather. ;)
Ah, but manual seats can be heated as well. I believe all Cayman seats are heated...unless I am incorrect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts