Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I left my 987.1 sitting without a battery tender for a month, and it seems that the battery has gone completely dead. My key is stuck in the ignition. I plan on doing the following things, and I'm looking for your advice and experience for guidance:

1. Charging the car through the cigarette lighter enough to pop the hood. Will this kind of item from Amazon work? If not where can I get something that would work for this purpose? (Amazon.com: Questions and Answers: Black & Decker BM3B 6V and 12V Battery Charger / Maintainer forum)

2. Jump starting the car then leaving it on a battery tender. If jump-starting doesn't work, is the only option to replace the battery?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Look in your owner's manual. There is a post inside the fuse box where you can connect the jumper cable to give you enough power to pop the frunk lid. Then you can jump the car. A battery tender (pretty much any of them) will probably also work to charge the battery through the cig lighter, if the battery has any capacity at all.

Are you on the original battery? If so, it is probably toast. Plan on getting a new battery. I would highly recommend Interstate.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Indiosyncrasies

Its all there. there are many, many threads on this. Please do a search.
Excellent! Just came back from a holiday excursion for eight days and the Cayman just sat locked up in the garage during that time. On returning went out to take a ride, hit the remote and nothing. Thought the battery was dead but the "Remote Control Key" tip to open door with the key, leave door closed and then press button 1 worked. This got me in and it started right up. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys,

I left my 987.1 sitting without a battery tender for a month, and it seems that the battery has gone completely dead. My key is stuck in the ignition. I plan on doing the following things, and I'm looking for your advice and experience for guidance:

1. Charging the car through the cigarette lighter enough to pop the hood. Will this kind of item from Amazon work? If not where can I get something that would work for this purpose? (Amazon.com: Questions and Answers: Black & Decker BM3B 6V and 12V Battery Charger / Maintainer forum)

2. Jump starting the car then leaving it on a battery tender. If jump-starting doesn't work, is the only option to replace the battery?
If you are using the moll battery that is made for the cayman I would suggest replacing it with a non-porsche stamp battery. Interstate and wal-mart (of all places) makes one that fits the cayman. They are basically made from the same manufacture which is Johnson controls (last I checked) and they have a higher crank output. I have been using the one from wal-mart for over a year without issues after leaving my car for more than a week in ~30 degree weather.

The moll battery constantly needed the re-charger and would struggle to start at times. I have not had to recharge my battery nor had any issues at all. In my opinion get ride of the moll battery once it starts giving you trouble and never look back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts