Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am having issue with my 2007 cayman s. This all started after replace the old battery which was barely working. I did not connect the leads backwards. No crank when trying to start instrument cluster comes on, lights come on, radio, all electronics work. The following faults Brake malfunction, psm malfunction, depress clutch are shown on the dash.car will not allow me to read any codes unless I remove the cables and start the car bit then it reads clean no codes. I’ve done some digging and have tried the following remedies, removed starter and tested it (passed), test the alternator(passed), bad new battery(12.6v). Tested all the fuses(none blown). I’ve checked the immobilizer no damage that I can see. Car recognizes the key begin used. The clutch switch has been replaced. All relays are good not burnt tested good. I’ve taken the positive cable stud on the distributor out there was rust on it I cleaned it off, the cable end going to the battery had some rust aswell I have clean that to the best of my ability as well. I am going to put the car back together and try and take it to a indie to see if they can find the problem. I just wanted to see if any of you fine folk might have any clue what’s happening. I look forward to your replies.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I remove the cables and start the car bit then it reads clean no codes. Wait, what? I have pondered a while here and I still don't understand what you're saying in this sentence. Do you mean with no battery connected your code reader reads clean? One thing I would try? If you have cables put a jumper on it from a second battery and tell us what happens.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The following faults Brake malfunction, psm malfunction, depress clutch are shown on the dash.
The "malfunction" messages are normal once the battery had been disconnected. But the "depress clutch" dash message sounds like there is a problem with the switch (maybe the adjustment of it) or the wiring. If the clutch depression is not being detected, you'll get that exact symptom (not cranking).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Although I don't understand the OP completely, he did state he replaced the clutch switch. However there are 2 switches and so it is possible that the one replaced was for cruise control rather than engine start.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not only is that correct snake but if it's similar to the "ratcheting plunger" style of the 986 a sub adjustment is sometimes necessary, I remember doing it on my base 986.

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "malfunction" messages are normal once the battery had been disconnected. But the "depress clutch" dash message sounds like there is a problem with the switch (maybe the adjustment of it) or the wiring. If the clutch depression is not being detected, you'll get that exact symptom (not cranking).
Sorry for the confusion once the battery is disconnected, and then reconnected the car starts and with the motor running I am able to read the codes using odII reader(no codes show up). The clutch switch was replaced with a oem as far as adjustments how do you do that, the screw that holds it in place is tight. With the holiday my indie won’t be available so I am still tinkering with it.
Today I check continuity from battery to starter checked the ground wires and everything lined up. Battery was reading 12.3v so I jumped the car and it started. With the car running the battery reads 14.6v.

when the car started today the clutch switch was not adjusted, only the battery being jumped, the battery in brand new less than a week old.

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although I don't understand the OP completely, he did state he replaced the clutch switch. However there are 2 switches and so it is possible that the one replaced was for cruise control rather than engine start.
The cruise control switch is the black and red plunger type, that was not replaced the one above it a white switch with one mounting screw. When the car does start the starter sound healthy no struggle it fire right up.
With disconnect the battery I am resting something that allows the car to be able to start again. Whatever that is would be the problem
Trying to figure out what that is is confusing I’ve followed the cables no burn marks or corrosion no loose fittings, there doesn’t seem to be any shorts in the cables.
i can not find any bent or broken wire near the clutch or battery or the starter.
I am lost

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have replaced the fuse for the “clutch interlock” it was a 7.5 amp still no difference, car will only start after reset disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. When disconnecting the battery I am only moving the ground terminal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If the fault was in the clutch interlock switch, there would be a "depress clutch" error on the display. It is possible that the starter is failing and intermittently starting. It happened to my 987 recently. I was fortunate that it re-started on a return trip with a fuel stop. It did not restart the next day. Initially, I thought it was the battery or clutch interlock switch (I had replaced). I did not get the "depress clutch" error and the battery tested good at the local auto parts store. Replaced with a new Bosch R0808N (OE) starter and it has been fine since. There are a few threads on the forum on the starter issue.

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The starter voltage 12.5 which is battery voltage the starter turn over if jumped directly from the starter, so my problem is something between the battery and the starter. By turn over I mean the starter spins but the car does not start.the engine moves as if trying to start but does not. Without jumping the starter only inserting the key only the dash lights and electronics come on No cranking of the engine. ?

the positive cable from the battery to the distributor are clean and have continuity, cable from the distributor to the y connect next to the alternator read voltage good.
cable from y connect to the starter reads voltage good.
On the negative side the cable from the chasis to the battery is good but the secondary cable that enters the firewall i am having a hard time finding where it goes to, does that cable have anything to do with the starter , maybe a ground to it. Any help with diagrams would be much appreciated thank you all and merry Christmas !!

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still could be the starter? See this article.
The connecting to the starter show to carry voltage to the starter none have any notice able corrosion. The starter was tested on bench worked perfectly. I have also jumped the starter with it being (battery voltage) on the car and it grabbed the fly wheel fine, the car cranked but did not start. The key was in the ignition in the on or start position it still did not start. But the starter did it’s job to turn the engine and the clutch was begin depressed. I don’t think the other parameter to start the car where met but I think that shows the starter is good ??
Things to note
All electronics work lights/radio/windows/hvac fan kicks on.
Engine is not seized moves freely
Starter (passed bench test) (when the car does start it does not crank slowly)
Battery( 1week old been hold voltage above 12.3)
Battery tested good with tester
Terminals clean to a smooth finish)
Battery contacts are clean
+positive power cable from battery cleaned no more corrosion( no excessive voltage drop on this cable .2-3)
Cable from distributor to Y connect to starter and believe engine electronics.( no excessive voltage drop)
Cable from y connect to starter. (No corrosion no excessive voltage drop).
(-) negative cable, mounting nut, and terminal cleaned.
The smaller secondary cable that goes in the firewall
I am still looking for a schematic to figure out where it comes back out to so I can test it.
After today I am leaning towards a faulty ignition switch. What do you guys think

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the fault was in the clutch interlock switch, there would be a "depress clutch" error on the display. It is possible that the starter is failing and intermittently starting. It happened to my 987 recently. I was fortunate that it re-started on a return trip with a fuel stop. It did not restart the next day. Initially, I thought it was the battery or clutch interlock switch (I had replaced). I did not get the "depress clutch" error and the battery tested good at the local auto parts store. Replaced with a new Bosch R0808N (OE) starter and it has been fine since. There are a few threads on the forum on the starter issue.
Along with the other faults (abs/PSM) I do get the “ depress clutch” warning. I am go on going to try and bridge the the clutch wires to see if that helps. If it doesn’t I am going to rule out the switch(it’s brand new). I am going to bite the bullet on a new starter, going to wait until after the holidays so a actual mechanic can look at it before buying the wrong part. Before this problem started I was able to start the car without depressing the clutch, that drove me to replace the switch.

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to keep highs king my own post. My next step is reinstalling everything then trying to hit the start solenoid to see if it starts. This video by another member shows the steps I have already gone through and I am getting the same results. His car is a 987.2 but I think we might have the same problem . The starter he is using in the video looks different than the one I have. Also attached is a picture of my starter and how it is wired do I have everything correct.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
143 Posts
Along with the other faults (abs/PSM) I do get the “ depress clutch” warning. I am go on going to try and bridge the the clutch wires to see if that helps. If it doesn’t I am going to rule out the switch(it’s brand new). I am going to bite the bullet on a new starter, going to wait until after the holidays so a actual mechanic can look at it before buying the wrong part. Before this problem started I was able to start the car without depressing the clutch, that drove me to replace the switch.
If you have the "depress clutch" warning, you can easily/temporarily bypass the clutch interlock switch (photo #1) with a paper clip or solid strand conductor (photo #2). You can also check that the switch (with wires detached) is properly installed... check for continuity with an ohmmeter/multimeter when the clutch is depressed. When I had to replace my starter, Amazon had the lowest price for a new Bosch starter with no core charge (less than cost of a refurbished???) and significantly less than OEM. Electrical connections on the starter looks to be correct.

Wood Automotive exterior Font Rectangle Motor vehicle
Wood Gas Metal Shotgun Musical instrument

·
Registered
2007 cayman s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello All,
I hope you all enjoyed the Christmas holiday,
I am still tinkering with the cayman while I await the new starter(hopefully this resolved my issue). I am still having trouble finding where the ground going to the starter connects to either the chasis or engine ?. Does anyone have a idea of where it might be ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts