Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

81 - 100 of 115 Posts
Those numbers sound very similar to mine when I put in a 3.6 re-sleeved to a 3.8L. I am adding a IPD Plenum, GT3 TB, and EVOMS intake this month and am hoping for another 20 whp.

There was someone either here on Planet 9 or Rennlist who is selling their used IPD/TB.

I will also be selling my 74mm TB and IPD plenum once I replace mine. If you have a 3.2L or 2.7L engine this is a nice mod.

Discussion starter · #82 ·
Hello boys and girls! Welcome back to the **** show! Sooooo lots has happened since we last left off. We’ve had delay in part, delay in motor being sent, delays in just about everything lol. I do wanna say that even with all that Titan Motorsports has been very good at communicating with me all the issues and resolving them (they didn’t build the motor only the dry sump). Since the car was sitting at the shop so long without a motor, we decided to make some progress in other aspects.

So I’m going to break down with a ton of pictures. First up on the list is the roll cage. So we did a chromoly cage to NASA specs as the car will be running ST1/2/3. I’m going to be exploring with power to weight since these series are so flexible. Anyways, here is the raw cage, pretty excellent welding by the boys at Titan. Along with the cage I did a Bilt Racing Dash which weights maybe 4 lbs lol. Titan finished it up and painted it since it was in rough shape when it got here.

Automobile repair shop Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Vehicle Auto part Car Motor vehicle Engine
Auto part Vehicle Engine Suspension part Suspension
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automobile repair shop
Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Fuel line

Discussion starter · #85 · (Edited)
We got the car back from the paint shop and now putting everything back together. Keep in mind the motor's dry sump is being worked on this whole time. I'll post about that later on.

We got the Aim MXG Dash all wired up. it's an incredible 7 inch display with data logging capabilities and a ton of features to log almost any aspect of the car. Knowlegde is power! That pretty much wraps up the roll cage.
Vehicle Car Auto part Family car Subcompact car
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automobile repair shop Engine
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Discussion starter · #86 ·
To make room for the massive oil pump for the dry sump we converted to an electric power steering system. We would have done this anyway since the 987.1 PS sucks for track use. They added a little tube and fin cooler in front of the drivers side radiator.
Machine Auto part Engine Vehicle Machine tool
Auto part Engine Vehicle Electrical wiring Technology
Auto part Engine Vehicle Electrical wiring Technology

We also got some JRZ RS One under the car now with toe arms as well
Auto part

Also got satin white BCForged RZ05 wheels for the car. 9F and 10.5R with nitto NT01 tires. In hindsight white wheels are sick but the amount of scrubbing to keep them clean is absurd lol. (i used them on my GTS I've been taking the track in the meanwhile)
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire
Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Automotive tire

Discussion starter · #87 ·
Alright now here comes the juicy part. :giggle:

The motor:
M97 that is now a 3.8L
  • Forged Pistons
  • Carillo Rods
-billet aluminum sleeves
  • New bearings, chains etc
  • Stock oil pump gutted
  • RSS Crank pulley
  • Heads have been ported and polished
  • Camshafts have been reground (higher duration, same lift for logetivity)
  • Upgraded springs
  • Upgraded valves

As for the stuff around the motor we still got SOUL catless headers in perfect condition. Love those things :love:! I did some investigating and the 3.4L intake manifolds and the 3.8L manifolds are completely different. I had pictures but I can't find them unfortuantely. The 3.8L manifolds are bigger volume-wise, runners are longer, and to top it off the ports inside are smoother. Like way smoother. The 3.4L manifold is almost squared off. The 3.8L ones are nice and rounded promoting smoother airflow. So it was pretty much a requirement to get that on the car for me. Instead of lowering the motor to make the taller manifold fit we just notched the engine cover. We also put an IPD plenum with a GT3 TB. We took advantage of the taller height and added the GT3 oil cooler as well. Lots of test fitting went in to making sure the motor would fit just right.
Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Car
Engine Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive engine part Vehicle
Engine Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle
Machine Engine Auto part Electronics Black-and-white
Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Engine
Engine Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive engine part Vehicle
Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Auto part Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Machine Vehicle
Auto part Metal Machine Engine
Engine Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

Discussion starter · #90 ·
As for the dry sump system Titan has really just outdone themselves. I mean the level of detail and thought that was put into this is just insane. I don't remember brand of pump and tank of the top of my head but I can speak as to how the system is routed. So we got the Mantis 2L deep sump I had before and added 3 different scavenge points within the pan. This oil gets pulled back into the pump and to the tank. Now here is a really nice piece. Where the oil and coolant filler used to sit, there is now a plate contains all the hose to and from the tank sitting in the back. If I were ever to pull the motor for any reason I can just release the hoses from plate and pull it. The tank itself is 3 or 4 gallon system which brings up the total amount of oil to about 16-18 quarts. The oil tank and the overflow tank sit right next to each and the vent for the tank is nicely placed right beneath it as you can see in the pictures. As far as where the tank is placed, it was really more about easy maintance and short plumbing that decided it's position. We were thinking about having it in the passenger seat but if anything goes wrong I'd rather not have 250 degree oil sitting inches away.
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Technology
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car
Auto part Vehicle

Another nice thing about this system is that the oil drain for the tank is perfectly place where oil doesn't touch anything else but the pan when it falls.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Pipe Suspension

Attachments

Discussion starter · #91 ·
Another interesting thing I am testing out is an AEM Infinity ECU for the car. Alot of 997.1 parts are literally identical to the 987.1. For the 997.1, the engine harness and ecu are same PN as the 987.1. AEM sells a plug and play kit for the 997.1 :devilish:. So we are wainting on that to start the tuning.With this new ECU we can do a ton neat things like add failsafes. If the car doesn't have oil pressure or is overheating it'll decrease power or shut it off etc.. We also get rid of the shitty traction control and now have a programmable slip angle we can adjust. With this system we can add a 12-way knob forthe traction control so i can dial the percent slip I want depending on conditions or completely shut it off. I am really looking forward to hearing it start up in a week or so. They spun the motor up and everything was looking good, oil pressure shot up quick to a healthy PSI. We are going to be tuning and breaking in the motor on the dyno to make sure nothing is leaking and everything is happy that way there are minimal problems at the track. For those that are still following this Thank you! lol I know it has been a while but I think we might be back in action. đź–¤
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine
Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive design

Discussion starter · #92 ·
Just wanted to throw in here my daily. 718 Cayman GTS lowered on techart springs, spacers, FI catless exhuast, and pro tune from BGB Motorsports. If you guys every need anything done to your street car or racecar these are the guys to go to. John Teece is a great guy with tons of experience and paitence lol. Anytime I have a question regarding to any issue I just message and he quickly responds with a solution. Also with the tune it absoultely rips. I've been using this thing for track days while racecar gets completed. Amazing car on and off the track!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Blue
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Supercar
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar White
Vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Car Auto part
Map Screen Technology Line Parallel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Supercar

Lot's of progress! Is the car midnight blue? My car started out as a MN Blue 07 S with those same wheels. The cage looks great and it will really stiffen the chassis nicely. The oil pump is a Dailey Engineering unit. The same one mounted in exactly the same place as Vision did mine. We used the shallow oil pan so we could lower the engine and tranny for better CG. I think you are using the external pump differently than we did. Two sections on the back of the heads, one for the pan plus the main pump suctioning the pan. Tank in the trunk is good. I had to put mine in the right seat area with a housing over it. The system kept flawless OP with huge slicks and big aero. It's for sale as the car now has a 996 TT Mezger in it.

Sounds like you have the right pieces for a strong engine. It definitely needs more cam and the X51 style intake to pull hard to 7,500. Looking forward to your driving impressions.

The car looks fantastic! However I am biased toward Midnight blue Caymans. Something that I just tried was Armor all's Outlast brake dust repellent. Not sure how it will hold up to endurance racing but seemed to simplify clean up after my last track weekend. I do have an advantage since my my wheels are Anthracite

Reactions: mgarcia048
Discussion starter · #96 ·
Lot's of progress! Is the car midnight blue? My car started out as a MN Blue 07 S with those same wheels. The cage looks great and it will really stiffen the chassis nicely. The oil pump is a Dailey Engineering unit. The same one mounted in exactly the same place as Vision did mine. We used the shallow oil pan so we could lower the engine and tranny for better CG. I think you are using the external pump differently than we did. Two sections on the back of the heads, one for the pan plus the main pump suctioning the pan. Tank in the trunk is good. I had to put mine in the right seat area with a housing over it. The system kept flawless OP with huge slicks and big aero. It's for sale as the car now has a 996 TT Mezger in it.

Sounds like you have the right pieces for a strong engine. It definitely needs more cam and the X51 style intake to pull hard to 7,500. Looking forward to your driving impressions.
Thats awesome to hear Diverdog i am so eager to put this thing on the dyno. Yeah the X51 manifold might be in the future once we get some numbers and near final weight to fit in the series. What were you revving you previous motor to. I want to keep it near normal redline just to maintain longetivity but I also want to make use of the cams. Once we get it on the dyno we will see if it even wants to rev that high. And yes it is midnight blue ! wrap is coming soon after everything is said and done.

Discussion starter · #97 ·
The car looks fantastic! However I am biased toward Midnight blue Caymans. Something that I just tried was Armor all's Outlast brake dust repellent. Not sure how it will hold up to endurance racing but seemed to simplify clean up after my last track weekend. I do have an advantage since my my wheels are Anthracite View attachment 269563

I'll post a pic of the wheels after a track day they are basically your color lmaoo. But yeah maybe before the next time ill go ahead and spray some of that on.

"Thats awesome to hear Diverdog i am so eager to put this thing on the dyno. Yeah the X51 manifold might be in the future once we get some numbers and near final weight to fit in the series. What were you revving you previous motor to. I want to keep it near normal redline just to maintain longetivity but I also want to make use of the cams. Once we get it on the dyno we will see if it even wants to rev that high. And yes it is midnight blue ! wrap is coming soon after everything is said and done."

We kept the revs under 7,000 because the stock cams rolled off and we had a ton of torque with the M97 turbo motor. I usually shifted at ~6,500. If your oiling system is up to it the good parts in your engine should easily take 7,500. What compression ratio are you running? The heads can flow enough to support power up there if the cams and intake are right. The dyno will show the way. I think you have an ST2 class car.

My new 3.8L Mezger engine has reground cams, ported heads and a GT3 intake manifold. We are looking to move the power band up a bit say a 7,500 RPM red line. The lower end can handle 8000+ but the valve gear on a 996 turbo motor is heavier than a GT3 so it is the limiting factor. It is possible to change to a GT3 type valve gear but it is very expensive and not necessary. Like you I don't want to be rebuilding this engine every 75 hours!

Discussion starter · #100 ·
"Thats awesome to hear Diverdog i am so eager to put this thing on the dyno. Yeah the X51 manifold might be in the future once we get some numbers and near final weight to fit in the series. What were you revving you previous motor to. I want to keep it near normal redline just to maintain longetivity but I also want to make use of the cams. Once we get it on the dyno we will see if it even wants to rev that high. And yes it is midnight blue ! wrap is coming soon after everything is said and done."

We kept the revs under 7,000 because the stock cams rolled off and we had a ton of torque with the M97 turbo motor. I usually shifted at ~6,500. If your oiling system is up to it the good parts in your engine should easily take 7,500. What compression ratio are you running? The heads can flow enough to support power up there if the cams and intake are right. The dyno will show the way. I think you have an ST2 class car.

My new 3.8L Mezger engine has reground cams, ported heads and a GT3 intake manifold. We are looking to move the power band up a bit say a 7,500 RPM red line. The lower end can handle 8000+ but the valve gear on a 996 turbo motor is heavier than a GT3 so it is the limiting factor. It is possible to change to a GT3 type valve gear but it is very expensive and not necessary. Like you I don't want to be rebuilding this engine every 75 hours!
Yeah I want motor to last a while lol its been alot of work getting it here. We are running stock compression because I wanted to be able to run 93 gas on regular track days and not have to worry about getting higher octane gas etc. ST2 seems to be the perfect fit for the car. I can do ST3 with a restrictor plate if the field is bigger. I dont believe I would be competitive in ST1 but it'd be fun to try it out and play with the weight.

I love that you put in a 996 turbo, it's probably one of the coolest builds to date. Did the motor have any issue fitting in the space? (besides the oil tank) And yeah no reason to spin up the motor when you have that two turbos pushing air!

81 - 100 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.