Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! So we had an engine failure at the end of last season. We believe we hurt the engine at the autox, and the ticking started a few days later. We found a ton of metal shavings in the oil filter and found a lot of copper, so we are assuming it's a spun bearing.

With that being said, we decided we would go ahead and tear the engine down ourselves. The core is worth the same assembled or disassembled so what the hell!

Depending on what the issue is, we may try to rebuild it ourselves as well.

Here is our progress so far.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Tread carefully. Before you dig in any further, you might want to call Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations to see if there are any preliminary procedures before tearing it apart. No use totally ruining a short block because you didn't follow initial steps.

My guess is #6 rod bearing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We spoke to Raby but have decided to go a different direction.

I did get my hands on a full shop manual and it details the procedure so we should be good moving forward (although we need to get one special tool).

The plan is to tear it apart to see what's what and make a decision from there. Vision has offered to buy the core assembled or disassembled for the same price, so it made sense to do it this way for us.

A lot of people will likely cringe (or think we are nuts) but there is a decent chance if it's a rod bearing we will do the repairs in house.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have a deep sump fitted to the car? 996 swirl pots?

What oil were you guys using for Auto-X/DE?
we did not have any oil mods done to the car. Unfortunately we were ignorant to the issues with the M97. At the time we were using Mobil 1 synthetic, although I don’t remember the viscosity. Raby seems to think this could have been part of the issue. It was a pretty warm day and we were doing back to back runs so it could have broken down..

·
Registered
278 Posts
I absolutely admire your bravery! I certainly hope you will succeed! Even if you don't this will leave you with invaluable learning experience which is IMO the most important thing. Good luck and keep the updates coming.
And don't forget - as you mentioned in the beginning - the organization of a project like this is one of the most important factors for success!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I will be sure to keep everyone updated. It's definitely a big task at hand, but I always believe if someone else can do it, so can I (I mean besides run a 4.2 40 haha).

We are talking with some people about what other options we might have for a rebuild. It sure would be nice to introduce something else to the community, as the existing options are SO expensive. Something similar to the 2.85 stroker I built for my 951.

Another option is finding a salvage car, as the engine core may pay for the majority of that and then we could use the engine from the salvage car and part the rest out.

More to follow!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Thanks for the update. Can't wait for the cracking of the block to see what's what.

Remember, it isn't a project unless you have to buy a new tool (or 3).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the update. Can't wait for the cracking of the block to see what's what.

Remember, it isn't a project unless you have to buy a new tool (or 3).
My thoughts exactly! It's always nice to have an excuse to buy some more tools.

We should be cracking the block real soon. Still have our fingers crossed that it's a rod bearing and the damage is minimal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have machinist and engineering skills, so made my own special tools and they work great. You will not find undersize bearings for this engine. I had my crank repaired by a crank shop and they "sprayed" the crank back to original. It had a measured .006" damage, so possibly would have ground "clean" at -.010" (-.25 MM). Now at 50,000 plus daily driver miles, I think the repair has failed. I will be designing an undersize bearing for my rebuild this time. Had I known the "spray man" would be taking 8 weeks, I'd have done this the first time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have machinist and engineering skills, so made my own special tools and they work great. You will not find undersize bearings for this engine. I had my crank repaired by a crank shop and they "sprayed" the crank back to original. It had a measured .006" damage, so possibly would have ground "clean" at -.010" (-.25 MM). Now at 50,000 plus daily driver miles, I think the repair has failed. I will be designing an undersize bearing for my rebuild this time. Had I known the "spray man" would be taking 8 weeks, I'd have done this the first time.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up! I will absolutely look into the "spray", sounds like a better option than a weld repair!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am NOT recommending the spray. After I had completed it someone else commented that it wasn't good for but 30,000 miles. I don't know if you can weld a nodular which I think this engine has. I'll post up if my undersize bearings work out.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Real guys showing me how my engine comes apart! Missing bolts like I would. Fantastic video! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am NOT recommending the spray. After I had completed it someone else commented that it wasn't good for but 30,000 miles. I don't know if you can weld a nodular which I think this engine has. I'll post up if my undersize bearings work out.
Ok, I must have misunderstood you. I thought your only concern was the turnaround time. We should know soon how much damage there is to the crank and can make a decision then.

The engine was ran with the knock for less than two miles, and started three times after that. So far the only metal shavings or signs of damage have come from the oil filter so there is still hope.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Real guys showing me how my engine comes apart! Missing bolts like I would. Fantastic video! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Haha, thanks! There is no chance we can drop $20k+ on a fresh 3.8 build (as much as we would love to) and don't trust another used engine. So, the only answer is to see what we can do ourselves!

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is great that you posting the vids. Thanks for that! Also I pm'ed you. I will be tearing my engine down soon and would love to get the copy of the workshop manual. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts