Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Oh, dude, I feel your hurt. I've rebuilt a couple of air-cooled 911 engines, and I now appreciate the simplicity of the great Mezger design.

At the end you mention jogging the crank a bit to see if the piston is perfectly aligned to the access holes. I wonder if you could do that while the circlip tool is in place...keep a little inward pressure on the tool, and jog the crank to feel if the tool seats in all the way. Just a thought.

Keep at it, we're pulling for you!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Oh, dude, I feel your hurt. I've rebuilt a couple of air-cooled 911 engines, and I now appreciate the simplicity of the great Mezger design.

At the end you mention jogging the crank a bit to see if the piston is perfectly aligned to the access holes. I wonder if you could do that while the circlip tool is in place...keep a little inward pressure on the tool, and jog the crank to feel if the tool seats in all the way. Just a thought.

Keep at it, we're pulling for you!
I missed a crucial step actually. I should have run the scope on through the tool to confirm it was fully engaged before inserting the circlip pusher tool. Jake Raby said it in his video and I completely spaced. Trying again tonight hopefully!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Congrats, great job! I like your idea of putting a chamfer on the edge of the installation tool.

Does anyone know: when the engine is assembled in the factory, do they use this same method? Or is there some magical robotic process to install the pistons and wrist pins?

101 - 109 of 109 Posts