Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, apologies for the quick post and not searching the forums since I'm making arrangements to get a tow. I'm getting a high pitched squeal coming from the engine during idle and seems to disappear when driving. I also noticed that it was idling inconsistently last few days and thought it might be the change in weather. It's not bad but slightly rougher than usual. Can you diagnose my symptoms before it gets towed to the dealer? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be dumb q but is it not safe to drive? Also how easy is it to change with basic mechanic skills?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Might be dumb q but is it not safe to drive? Also how easy is it to change with basic mechanic skills?
With the car or engine making any noise like that I prefer to err on the side of caution and not drive the car but instead get it flat bedded to the dealer for diagnosis and repair.

The only exception is one time -- not a Porsche -- was when the clutch throw out bearing failed. I knew instantly what happened and decided -- in hindsight probably wrongly -- to drive the car to the shop. While nothing bad happened I might have been just extra lucky.

I've never done an AOS -- though my Boxster has had two fail -- but other owners have. While it is not as difficult as say brain surgery it does require you know what you are doing and do it right.

There are DIY articles around if you want to research this job to see if you want to tackle it yourself.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, definitely not going to drive it but instead getting it flatbedded to the dealer Friday since the tow can't get there in time with today's traffic. So one question.. AOS or water pump? I had to move the car to safer spot at the office. It didn't whine when cold so it sounds like only when engine is warm during idle and disappears when moving.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
Without hearing the noise it is a guess, but it may also just be the serpentine belt. Pull the front engine cover and listen. Then spray some WD-40 on the belt and see if the sound goes away. If so, replace the belt.

This would not account for the rough idle, so it maybe a vacuum leak or, as stated above, a bad AOS.

If you know this could not be the case, well, then ignore this post.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
This thread is 7 years old. Let's move on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts