Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can hear a rattle coming out of the can that houses the catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold headers. Maybe it's simply a crack that can be welded maybe it needs replacing but what affordable options other than OEM part #N-987-113-107-00 for passenger side only no labor at $1,450 (Canadian Dollars)? If the other one gives soon that's like $3K in parts only. I have an appointment at my indy next week to see what can be done (welding?, OEM replacement, aftermarket part, etc.).

I looked here in the classified but nothing for a 987.1 with Cats. If you have suggestions I would like to know them like is there OEM replacement available for that part and what is the cost/quality like? Anything lying in your garages collecting dust you want to get rid of :)

My car is a Cayman S 2006 with 130,000 KM on it so no emission warranty, I already checked.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have my oem ones sitting in my storage unit. One was replaced and I only put like 2k miles on it before I went aftermarket. Forgot which one was replaced though. Let me know if you're interested in those

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont know if he will ship to the great white north but I saw this the other day. Looks like a deal.
Panjo Marketplace
That's the end piece of the exhaust, I need the front portion which is manifold and cat. Many just change after the cat since it's cheaper and you get an awesome sound. I ship many products to Ogdensburg, NY and go pick them up since it's a 45 minute ride only from for me to the border. Thanks for looking for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I found a place in Massachusetts called Davico MFG advertised on Rock Auto parts that basically builds new CATS exactly like the OEM one for $200 ($1,400 at the dealer!) and you need to you pay shipping both ways. You send yours and within 5 days they send you another one (not yours). I need to find out more info on quality/efficiency/weight/etc.

I am still interested if you guys have OEM not currently used so let me know

Reactions: Wanderer

·
Registered
481 Posts
Passenger side has a heat shield on it. I have mine off right now and the heat shield is just sitting around the manifold. It moves and rattles. Does yours move?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Passenger side has a heat shield on it. I have mine off right now and the heat shield is just sitting around the manifold. It moves and rattles. Does yours move?
Not that I know of my rattle seems to be coming from inside the canister where the Cat is located since I was right next to it with the wheel well removed and tire removed also while my wife was giving it gas (that sounds so wrong...lol)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Are you getting any CEL indication that would point to loss of catalyst efficiency?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you getting any CEL indication that would point to loss of catalyst efficiency?
Yes I am getting P0421 infrequently in SPORT mode and occasionally in regular mode. I changed both O2 sensors front and back on passenger side but I am still getting errors from time to time (I was resetting them). It was not rattling before at a particular RPM that is a new problem but probably a deterioration of the O2 error codes. Let's just say it's a pretty obvious improper sound and my car does not sound like a true Porsche anymore so it's in my garage and I am driving the SUV instead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A big thanks to Johnny aka "The Youngn" who will ship me is manifold collecting dust in storage. I love this discussion forum it's the best, it's like a big family where all my brothers have a Porsche! Again many thanks.

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
362 Posts
Glad to see you found a set!

If anyone else following this is in need of stock headers (with cats), I have the originals from my 2007 (about 28k miles when removed). Among many things I never got around to selling when I did my race conversion....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts