Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, are there instructions on taking apart the rear hatch + trim on a 987.1 Cayman S? My hatch is starting to rattle intensely during drives, and I also noticed that the liner on my 3rd brake light is sagging which is causing rattle during bumps as well. Some fasteners on the rear hatch weren't seated properly and I was able to push a few in. I just decided I want to take the whole thing apart, make sure everything is put back together properly, and also fix the sagging 3rd brake light liner while I'm at it. I noticed older threads which referenced Planet 9 articles but the links don't work anymore. If anyone has instructions on taking apart the rear hatch trim and eliminating the rattles that would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
There were typically only a couple things that folks found needing adjustments. Rather than take the entire thing apart, which is a pain, I'd start with those. One, fix your sagging third brake light. Two, if you have one of those small privacy screens most of us have, make sure it's not rattling against the window or trim. If so, simply reinstall it and make sure it's secure. And finally, the trunk lid has two adjustable rubber bumper stops. Those screw in and out and can be adjusted to tighten or loosen the fit when the lid is closed. Adjust accordingly and give it a try. Anything more complicated could very well be a waste of time. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hi all, are there instructions on taking apart the rear hatch + trim on a 987.1 Cayman S? My hatch is starting to rattle intensely during drives, and I also noticed that the liner on my 3rd brake light is sagging which is causing rattle during bumps as well. Some fasteners on the rear hatch weren't seated properly and I was able to push a few in. I just decided I want to take the whole thing apart, make sure everything is put back together properly, and also fix the sagging 3rd brake light liner while I'm at it. I noticed older threads which referenced Planet 9 articles but the links don't work anymore. If anyone has instructions on taking apart the rear hatch trim and eliminating the rattles that would be much appreciated. Thank you!
If all else fails, check the the little shocks that support the hatch. They will have to be popped off in order to test as this issue won't happen when they are extended and under load, but sometimes those shocks will rattle within themselves when worn out and collapsed. They can make a "tink" sound over every little bump and you can replicate this by tapping on them out of the car. Not sure what you are hearing now, but the best way I can describe the sound is by tapping two coins together

Here is a video of the issue:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There were typically only a couple things that folks found needing adjustments. Rather than take the entire thing apart, which is a pain, I'd start with those. One, fix your sagging third brake light. Two, if you have one of those small privacy screens most of us have, make sure it's not rattling against the window or trim. If so, simply reinstall it and make sure it's secure. And finally, the trunk lid has two adjustable rubber bumper stops. Those screw in and out and can be adjusted to tighten or loosen the fit when the lid is closed. Adjust accordingly and give it a try. Anything more complicated could very well be a waste of time. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice y'all, will try them out today. To fix the sagging third brake light, don't I need to remove the plastic panels around the hatch? Are there instructions for those?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Thanks for the advice y'all, will try them out today. To fix the sagging third brake light, don't I need to remove the plastic panels around the hatch? Are there instructions for those?
Not sure. The only time mine was ever removed I had the dealer do it because I had accumulated a lot of dust/dirt/dead bugs in there because the seal wasn't very good. I do recall there were instructions I found before I decided to just let the dealer do it. Maybe google?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure. The only time mine was ever removed I had the dealer do it because I had accumulated a lot of dust/dirt/dead bugs in there because the seal wasn't very good. I do recall there were instructions I found before I decided to just let the dealer do it. Maybe google?
Ahh okay, I really don't want to take it to the dealer/indy shop just for this reason since I do most of the maintenance myself. I just don't do well with plastics haha, I tend to brake clips. I was able to search some previous threads regarding this issue, but the articles/how to that they linked, the link seemed to be broken since they pointed towards the old planet-9 forums. I'll keep searching, thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I stuck two pieces of the soft "side" of velcro on the two rubber stops on each side of the hatch (not to be confused with the shocks on the bottom corners of the hatch) and that stopped the rattling immediately.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I adjusted the two rubber bump stops, and now there's much less movement with the hatch. I also noticed the hatch struts were also making noise (and not going all the way up), so I will probably replace those soon. The final thing is just the 3rd brake light and sagging liner, I don't work well with clips. I really don't want to take it in just for this, but I might have to..

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 987.2 had serious clunks happening from the rear hatch, which was really annoying. I tried a few things including putting the small buffer fabric type pads that you place on the rear of picture frames. they have a self adhesive back. I placed one and then two onto the rubber buffers either side of the hatch. Sort of worked, but not 100%, then I read on a thread somewhere that there are replacement rubber hatch bumper pads that will fix the problem. Those pads are called GUMMI PUFFER and the Porsche part number is 987 512 899 01. Approx $10.00 Aust Dollar each. I replaced the original pads with these GUMMI PUFFERs (Weird name I know) and clunk disappeared immediately has now been gone for about twelve months. Best twenty bucks I have ever spent

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Niko... thats got to be the funniest descriptor for those rubber bumpers! :)
from the part number they look like the ones that are located about halfway up the hatch sides.

personally for me in 987.2, the issue was with slightly worn rubber bump stops at both edges, interior panel clips needed to be re-secured and worn out rear links connecting the anti roll bars to the other suspension components.

asianjuan, IIRC its just the 2 screws at the handle and rest are clips but you will need a trim tool to assist. oh and watch out for the interior light connector....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Niko... thats got to be the funniest descriptor for those rubber bumpers! :)
from the part number they look like the ones that are located about halfway up the hatch sides.

personally for me in 987.2, the issue was with slightly worn rubber bump stops at both edges, interior panel clips needed to be re-secured and worn out rear links connecting the anti roll bars to the other suspension components.

asianjuan, IIRC its just the 2 screws at the handle and rest are clips but you will need a trim tool to assist. oh and watch out for the interior light connector....
I had to say, I had trouble believing the name of them "Gummi Puffers" but from memory it was even written on the plastic bags that the dealer supplied to me. I had tried the bump stop screw in/out stops changing heights etc but to no avail. The clunk was in there from the time I purchased the car of Porsche Melbourne, they tried to fix it on numerous occasions even changing the struts. But the bloody clunk kept coming back. Then after reading a thread somewhere on the Gummi Puffers, I thought I had nothing to lose. I put them in over a year ago, and the clunk has definitely gone. Haha, just remembered I still have my old buffers and the bag the new ones came in. Made in Italy but purchased from my Porsche dealer. The proof is in the ...puffer Cheers mate.

not re appeared. Car is

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lift the hatch up and you will see two rubber buffer blocks down a couple of inches from the struts, one either side of the hatch. Unscrew them (Phillips head) and gently slide the buffers off the body channel, replace in the reverse order.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Phillips didn't seem to work, seems like the bolts holding the Gummi Puffers seem to be T30? T25 didn't work and neither did Phillips. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
991 Posts
The part number for the screw is 999.073.334.00, it's an M6 x 16. I just went and tried it on my car, T27 seems to fit it just right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts