Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Living in Florida has clearly taken its toll on my car. The headliner in my 08 Cayman S has completely fallen down. I've taken it to multiple different upholstery shops in my town and each have come back saying that they don't have a material that matches. I have the sand beige interior with cloth on the headliner. The aftermarket cloth replacement material has been discontinued, and the ultrasuedes they have don't match the rest of the interior. I'm now left with a decision: do I order a new headliner and have it shipped and installed (about $670 part +$150 install for fabric, or $1000 part + $150 install for alcantara) so that it is guaranteed to match, or pick perhaps a deviating color like grey to match my paint for like $300? Opinions? Has anyone else had to do such a replacement with sand beige?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My grey headliner in my cayenne had the same problem. I ended up doing an alcantara conversion. Was about $1500 all said and done.
Now my cayman isn't too far behind. I have a good interior guy and I'm sure he would be able to source a matching material. Keep in mind headliner material had the foam connected to the material. So all old foam has to be removed. I bet if you found a small town upholstery shop they will be able to get you the right stuff.

I'm going to go the alcantara route in the cayman. Should be less than $1000 including a couple yards of material. Will get A pillars covered as well.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I did my headliner and A-pillars for less than $400 using a generic gray fake suede from the pic. I did end up doing the underside of the hatch and plastic trim in the hatch area too to make it all match. Just pick a beige suede that looks good with all the other beiges of the leather, vinyl, plastic, and fabric because you don't need the headliner backing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Mine was and now is gray. I did it w felt like fabric from Walmart. $20 total including adhesive. Pretty easy to do actually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my headliner done by Marietta Auto Trim in north Atlanta. My car is a 2006 Cayman S with grey interior. They matched the grey color very well. The texture looks similar too. $300. I am very pleased!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After looking at the swatches, I went back to the shops and asked about the "Honey Suedeliner" that is at the bottom right of the picture that tach miami posted. It appears to be a pretty decent match to the a-pillars, but is a bit lighter than the original fabric and not quite a match to the leather which is all over my cabin with the full leather interior. I'm took the leap and asked them to order up a couple yards to have it done later this week. Given that the carpets are actually lighter than everything else, I figured that as long as I'm in the family of colors it should look like it belongs. I'll post a picture and observations once complete and let you know what the final tally was. If anyone did the black or grey contrast against the beige, please post a picture as I'd like to see it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine has the same issue. Going to be doing it in Alcantara when I re-do the rest of my interior.

I've held it up with some safety pins for the time being. Can't really see unless you're looking at them, does the trick for now!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
meisme33 - from photo looks nice and close to the rest of the colour hues of sand beige.
it can be difficult to find matching material if your interior is NOT black.

I am also in the process of getting mine fixed and decided to look into the "why cant it be glued back or fixed" question.

From the picture below you can see that the cloth and the sponge or foam has essentially separated. Also the residue of the foam has begun to disintegrate and become similar to dust or soft sand and will not hold the cloth anymore even if you re-apply adhesive.

Will post more updates once its done.

roof 3.jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
Looks awesome! I would also replace the sun visor's fabric with that suede if for no other reason to get rid of those stupid warning decals!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There are several types of materials available, cloth, microfiber and alcantara.
Not that many choices for hues matching sand beige interior and alcantara was easily 2-3 times the cost and cannot seem to match the seat material.

Here's a pic of mine - just got it installed yesterday - was a 1 1/2 day job easily due to trim piece removal and installation as they're all connected to the roof.

new roof lining.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts