Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
987.1 - non-PASM Bilstein PSS10 revalving and coil options

Hi Guys!

Assessing a revalve/upgrade with the PSS10's as they are aging. Currently have them set on 8F and 10R clicks (max). It's very liveable, feeling soft at the moment and not as fun & direct as I would like.

I'm finding my CS loses its cool when I get rough and aggressive, hard to keep my line, needing constant steering adjustment if trying to get on the accelerator and not even feeling close to the limits of grip!

Car use: 90% road user and 10% track but 100% spirited driving :)

I'd like to dial out some of the following:
- feeling a slight delay wobble, dullness at turn in when weight initially starts to transfer (more directness)

- Faster recovery in slight bumps at speed through corner and removing feeling of float at high speed (feels like it takes more than one stroke to settle and think i actually hit bump stops at times if there's a quick change in undulations, typically at higher speeds).

- roll. There's more roll than I expect, but this could be perception or some other thing at play.

- Dive at braking. Feels like the nose dives quite a lot.

The baseline I'm drawing experience on - I used to run a Honda Type R DC2 with 16kg F (900lbs) and 14kg R (780lbs) on the street and loved the directness but definitely gave tires a hard time and not necessarily the best for grip :). The spoon units were so well valved that the ride was incredibly complaint over most road surfaces and really provided a higher level of confidence than previous coil over kits I had on it, so I believe good shock valving is key to a nice ride.

Currently assessing:
- moving to a shorter & linear spring (think I prefer extra level of predictability at turn in at sacrifice of ride comfort)
- Moving to the Bilstein club sport rate or somewhere in between (think this about 700lbs F not sure R)

Looking for anyone who's actually revalved these and get their thoughts/experience
- Did your choice meet your expectations and requirements?
- Would you do anything differently?

Thanks!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think most of your issues could be helped by using stiffer springs. Tarett makes an adapter for the rear that allows the use 60 mm springs. In the front you can just change out the spring. I used the 450/500# spec boxster package reusing the front helper spring and added a rear assist spring. Now running 500/600 as the car is seeing more track. Once you have decided on the spring, then have Bilstein revalve to the spring weight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill!

Question - you refer to helper and assist springs, are these the same thing? Did you move to a shorter linear spring as well? :) (Just assuming with the installation of assist springs etc)

Whats the biggest change you feel with the upgrade in springs and was it noticeable from the stock PSS10 to 450/500 to 500/600 set ups?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did they make PSS10 for Cayman? I thought only PSS9, which is what I have on my.
Helper spring is usually very low rate and only there to hold main spring. Assist spring can be stiffer, for example the one that comes on front of the PSS9 is 80#. Main spring is 280#. For comparison stock Cayman spring on front is 155#. Rear is progressive, 170/180/295/380. Stock rear spring is 230#.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
..Did they make PSS10 for Cayman? I thought only PSS9, which is what I have on my....
Good question TWF. Made me revisit everything.

These came with the car which I purchased second hand so I'm not 100% as all the info online is a little confusing. I've read PSS9 = 9 clicks, most websites simply state PSS9/PSS10, the mechanic said these are PSS10 (I definitely have 10 clicks of adjustment).

The Bilstein online catalogue says B16 PSS9 with 10 clicks :)
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/defaul...5B0EE88FABB34EC3876EE844ECE04D72018004&12=130

I wonder what the story is but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Maybe I'll get more info now that I've started researching PSS9 instead!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts