Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to confirm - the 987.1's only have oil problems on track scenarios correct. Normal spirited driving (not insane) shouldn't cause any issues correct?

Seems like all problems arise from track driving these cars....

·
Registered
527 Posts
They hold 8 quarts of oil. I think you'd have to be doing some serious RPM and sustaining lateral G forces for quite some time to run out of oil at the sump.

I have a 987.1, and keep the oil properly topped up. I drive a lot through twisty street driving and am not concerned at all about oil starvation. I'm not going to be a track hound with it, however.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This was a good question, and I'd like to have some further comments. (Maybe this is a dead horse, so pardon me if so.) I recently bought a 2006 Cayman S with 43,000 miles with a good history of 5,000 mile oil changes. I am planning to do maybe 2 or 3 HPDE's to build some Porsche skills (ex-FF driver and no Porsche experience) and won't drive as aggressively as many do. Logic would say I should have few oil related worries.

However, I've thought about getting either the X51, FVD, or Mantis sump for the improved baffles and slightly higher capacity. My thought is that it would significantly decrease the likelihood of oil starvation problems and might reduce oil temp a bit. Is this an obsessive approach, or would this be a reasonable investment? I'm interested in having the best reliability to enjoy my car and, when I decide to upgrade, to pass on a similarly well-kept car to the next owner.

Thanks for any further comment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Racing improves the breed.
Oh I really want to track the car. Thinking about mantis sump to give me some peace.

Step 1 is to find potential replacement engine costs. I'm going through old posts to see if i can fit a 986 2.7 sump as a potential replacement if i grenade the 987 2.7

Full disclosure I don't have the 987 yet. I'm doing tons of research and waiting.

This was a good question, and I'd like to have some further comments. (Maybe this is a dead horse, so pardon me if so.) I recently bought a 2006 Cayman S with 43,000 miles with a good history of 5,000 mile oil changes. I am planning to do maybe 2 or 3 HPDE's to build some Porsche skills (ex-FF driver and no Porsche experience) and won't drive as aggressively as many do. Logic would say I should have few oil related worries.

However, I've thought about getting either the X51, FVD, or Mantis sump for the improved baffles and slightly higher capacity. My thought is that it would significantly decrease the likelihood of oil starvation problems and might reduce oil temp a bit. Is this an obsessive approach, or would this be a reasonable investment? I'm interested in having the best reliability to enjoy my car and, when I decide to upgrade, to pass on a similarly well-kept car to the next owner.

Thanks for any further comment.
If you go anywhere near a track install a deep sump. Mantis seems to be a good one

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
If you're going to change the oil sump cover to add capacity, may I suggest the Bodymotion (NJ) two-piece affair? IDK if it's still available, but the new-and-improved 9A1 engine's oil sump cover looks remarkably similar to it. Coincidence? You decide.
Full disclosure: I extensively tracked my 987.1 2.7, but I didn't use this part. I used the Mantissport sump b/c it was significantly less expensive. I'd also recommend installing a third radiator kit for improved cooling (which is never a bad thing when pushing an engine to redline for extended intervals), and a motorsports air/oil separator (both if which I did install).
Having said all this, you make your choices, and you takes your chances. Nothing is guaranteed when you put your car on track. Only you can decide if the risk /reward ratio is acceptable.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're going to change the oil sump cover to add capacity, may I suggest the Bodymotion (NJ) two-piece affair? IDK if it's still available, but the new-and-improved 9A1 engine's oil sump cover looks remarkably similar to it. Coincidence? You decide.
Full disclosure: I extensively tracked my 987.1 2.7, but I didn't use this part. I used the Mantissport sump b/c it was significantly less expensive. I'd also recommend installing a third radiator kit for improved cooling (which is never a bad thing when pushing an engine to redline for extended intervals), and a motorsports air/oil separator (both if which I did install).
Having said all this, you make your choices, and you takes your chances. Nothing is guaranteed when you put your car on track. Only you can decide if the risk /reward ratio is acceptable.

Did you have any problems after tracking the 2.7? There isn't much information for the smaller engine.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Did you have any problems after tracking the 2.7? There isn't much information for the smaller engine.
Nope, and it's still running like a champ for the current owner with almost 150k miles on it. I did maintain it diligently at frequent scheduled intervals to keep it track-prepared, but it was always reliable. The only engine rough running issues I ever had were from oil vapor ingestion, and remedied by cleaning the MAF, TB, and the intake ducting. The Motorsports AOS fixed that weak point. I always used Porsche- branded fluids, filters, and parts for maintenance. Mobil1 5W-50 for track use and 0W-40 for street use.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very timely but it does seem 2.7 cars are the minority especially among the track rats. I bought a 2008 2.7 Cayman in July and would like to start some track days as well. Went to a Car Control Clinic and heard some ticking coming off the skidpad. It cleared quickly and I think it was just a lifter bleeding down. Spoke to Spencer from Speed Sport Tuning and he recommended sump with an X51 baffle, Motorsport AOS and eventually a third radiator. Also, an oil with better anti-foaming package than Mobil 1.
After tons of research here and other forums these are pretty standard recommendations for any Cayman. Have read one 2.7 driver getting CEL after installing the Motorsport AOS. My plan is FVD sump w/ baffle, 996 swirl pots this winter and see how things go in the spring while I keep an eye on temperatures with the Torque App. The Motorsport AOS is insultingly expensive for a plastic can so if I can get by with the standard one I will. Don't know if my water pump has been changed and when it fails I may a third radiator.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, and it's still running like a champ for the current owner with almost 150k miles on it. I did maintain it diligently at frequent scheduled intervals to keep it track-prepared, but it was always reliable. The only engine rough running issues I ever had were from oil vapor ingestion, and remedied by cleaning the MAF, TB, and the intake ducting. The Motorsports AOS fixed that weak point. I always used Porsche- branded fluids, filters, and parts for maintenance. Mobil1 5W-50 for track use and 0W-40 for street use.

Another question: did you limit yourself to shifting earlier than redline (i.e 6000 rpm)?

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The Motorsport AOS is insultingly expensive for a plastic can so if I can get by with the standard one I will.
Totally agree on cost. You can buy a lot of OEM AOSs for the price of a Motorsports. I just take a spare AOS with me on a track w/e.
I have found by putting in the IPD plenom, you have 1 less hose into the AOS. Think it helps with longevity since there's less suction. I haven't had to replace my current AOS since I put the IPD in.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Another question: did you limit yourself to shifting earlier than redline (i.e 6000 rpm)?

Thanks for the insight!
7K shifts mostly. The 2.7 doesn't have gobs of torque, so its power is mostly enjoyed above 5K rpm. I had installed catless headers, PSE and Softronic race plenum/TB/tuning, so the power gains were noticable at the top of the rev range. Oh, and it sounded SO nice to wind out! After several reports of 3.4 engine failures by folks tracking their S models, I began shifting at 6500 for peace of mind. But the engine never complained either way.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The 2006 CS first one I bought was from San Diego and had a spun rod bearing. 68,000 miles and was said to be spirited canyon driving. P.O. said he had changed ALL fluids right after acquisition, Can't remember how many miles he said he put on it. It's been my daily driver for 52,000 miles after I rebuilt it until I acquired my 2011 Boxster S w/pdk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 2006 CS first one I bought was from San Diego and had a spun rod bearing. 68,000 miles and was said to be spirited canyon driving. P.O. said he had changed ALL fluids right after acquisition, Can't remember how many miles he said he put on it. It's been my daily driver for 52,000 miles after I rebuilt it until I acquired my 2011 Boxster S w/pdk.
I feel that certain canyon drivers might seriously push a car hard. There are no canyons near me at least for me to test.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I had a 2007 2.7 Cayman and installed the motor sport AOS and would get a CEL after about 75 miles. The Softronic tune got rid of the CEL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.