Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and am still learning how to navigate and make searches. So forgive me if the answer to my question is already out there.

I purchased a 2006 Boxster and I can't tell if it's a 987.1 or 987.2.

I don't have an oil dipstick, so I thought was a .2, but when I checked the engine number it was a M96 not an M97. I thought all the .2 were M97 engines.

Any advice from you sages out there?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello and welcome,

2005-2008 Boxsters are 987.1 and someone correct me if I am wrong but the M96 engines were through 2006 and the M97 engine was 07-08. 2009 was the first year of the 987.2 with the 9A1 engine. 987.1 and 987.2 both have electronic dipsticks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I have 987.1 and a M96 engine, what kind of IMS bearing does it have?

·
Registered
82 Posts
IMO fresh quality oil is vital to the health of your engine. I tend to change mine using Mobil 1 every 4K miles and that may be a bit overkill to me it’s the cheapest insurance I can do for the internals of my motor. Congratulations on the new purchase and enjoy!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ounce of prevention worth a tonne of cure in this case, as previously mentioned.

Keep on top of your maintenance and trouble free enjoyment lay ahead

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Take a look at the set of video from Jake Raby, flat6innovations. These are free, but the material will help you keep you M97 engine happy. Bore scoring, rod bearing scaring, oils and oil change intervals and all three IMS bearings are all covered. You definitely do not want to be on the other end of Jakes business.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
119 Posts
As owner of an '08 Cayman S, it pays to be thorough with your pre-purchase inspections, but all-in-all, these cars are solid. Don't live in fear of the IMS crapping out or bore-scoring...you can go nuts worrying about it and fact is, it affects a very small percentage of vehicles. Due diligence when purchasing and proper maintenance are key. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to this site and am still learning how to navigate and make searches. So forgive me if the answer to my question is already out there.

I purchased a 2006 Boxster and I can't tell if it's a 987.1 or 987.2.

I don't have an oil dipstick, so I thought was a .2, but when I checked the engine number it was a M96 not an M97. I thought all the .2 were M97 engines.

Any advice from you sages out there?
2006 is 987. Not 987.2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMO fresh quality oil is vital to the health of your engine. I tend to change mine using Mobil 1 every 4K miles and that may be a bit overkill to me it’s the cheapest insurance I can do for the internals of my motor. Congratulations on the new purchase and enjoy!
What weight oil do you use? I saw a label inside the trunk that shows that Mobile 1 0x-40w was used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mobil is best oil on the market. And 0-40 is just fine. I use it also. Some mechanic friend of mine suggested 5-50 but I stick with 0-40.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just bought 24 Qts Mobil 1 5-50w at $6 each. Napa sale saved about $3-4 a qt.
That’s the way to do it, I got 18 quarts on their previous sale. It seems this sale goes on 3 or 4 times a year. Buy in bulk and never have to pay retail!

Also with a 5qt purchase you get a $10 Visa card and since the sale price is $5.79 per quart it’s basically buy 3 get 2 free.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
That’s the way to do it, I got 18 quarts on their previous sale. It seems this sale goes on 3 or 4 times a year. Buy in bulk and never have to pay retail!

Also with a 5qt purchase you get a $10 Visa card and since the sale price is $5.79 per quart it’s basically buy 3 get 2 free.
My first time at that, I'll keep an eye open for repeat offers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome! I am also a fairly new 2006 Boxster owner, (got mine in April) nice to have you aboard. Got pics to share? Any mods on it? Enjoy, it’s a great car, I love every minute of driving it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts