Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

My 2007 2.7 987.1 Cayman is having some issues lately. About 140.000km, Mobil 5W40 Super 3000X1 every 15.000km.

Sometimes, but not all of the time, the car will lose power between 2000-3000 RPM. This is most notable in the higher gears, when you are give it load (higher throttle opening) at low RPM. There is no power loss at high RPM. The power loss is quite severe, you can give it all the throttle, but almost nothing happens. Akin to a Clutch slipping, lot’s of throttle, but no go. Clutch is definitly ok.

It will give p0016 and p0018 fault codes from time to time. When I reset it, it will disappear for about 500km. Most of the time the car will drive without fault, but 20% of the time, the power loss is there, mostly with a coldish engine.

I checked the variocam solenoids left and right (for both valve lift and cam position, 4 in total). Should these open and close by themselves? When I added 12V, the valve closed when I touched the plunger, but not by itself.

I have changed the oil. There was some debris in the filter. Very small, non-magnetic metal particles.
Last year, 20.000km ago, this was also the case, but then there were some small black plastic pieces as well. From what I have read, this could be the timing chain guides that are being worn down?

My independent Porsche shop has looked at the car. They didn't find anything unusual. Durametric didn't give any big deviations in cam position (according to them). And they said the car drove fine (which is entirely possible, because the power loss is intermittent). They said I shouldn't worry about the little bit of metal in the filter.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Giving that the fault is intermittent, and the car drives perfectly for about 90% of the time, I'm guessing the problem is electronics rather than mechanical?

First error was p0018, and now p0016. Very unlikely to have both cam sensors giving out.

Any video on how the solenoids should work?
This is NOT my video, but my solenoid valve does the same thing as the first one in the video.

How worried do I need to be?

Thanks in advance,

Serge

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,737 Posts
I had some issues with missfires, spitting and sputtering. My ODBII reader said both cam sensors were giving errors. My indi mechanic used his tool and had a error from one sensor. If unsure, I would replace both. I don't remember the sensor being very expensive and it didn't look that hard to replace

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently had P0016 and P0018 codes intermittently on my 2011 Cayman S. I always got both codes at the same time. After clearing them with my Durametric, things would be fine for 50-100 miles and then it would come back. I never noticed any loss of power, though. Figuring it wasn't likely that both camshaft position sensors were bad at the same time, I decided to replace the crankshaft position sensor. That was about 300 miles ago and so far, so good. The engine did seem to run smoother after replacing the sensor. Here's a photo of the sensor as it came off the engine, with the new sensor beside it. Sure looks like it could have been a problem!
20191230_115543.jpg 20191230_115532.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions.

Would a sensor failure lead to some sort of limp-mode? Otherwise the sensors will be fine.

The problem is very strange. A few days ago the car was almost undrivable, Cleared the codes and everything is fine. Probably switching the car on and off would have cleared the problem as well.

It is a very clear misfire between 2-3K RPM, then it clears up. (I think the variocam switches at 3.2K RPM?) The problem is not always present, and if it is, it is after a cold startup. If it presents itself, it is not always in the same severity. Could be the difference between 1 or 2 banks acting up? The car does not always throw a CEL or code when the problem presents itself. It just misfires and gives no information.

A few months ago, the Bank 2 rear O2 sensor had vibrated loose. It got worse and worse until I could pinpoint what it was. At the end the car gave an O2 sensor error (Pre-heating Bank 2 post-cat problem) in very harsh rain, but no drivability problems). I cleared the code and re-tightened the sensor and everything was fine. Could this O2 sensor lead to these types of problems and these error codes?

It is a very strange problem to figure out.

Serge

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are a total of 3 CAM related sensors per bank (at least on the 987.2 there is) 2 by the spark plugs, and the harder one to get to shown in the video you posted. I had that one go bad on mine. Did you try swapping them from bank 1 to 2 to see if code moves to the other bank? That's how I determined which one was bad on mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both codes point to sensor A. However, there are still actual symptoms, so just a broken sensor would not explain it.

Today CEL went on on startup. Rough running for about 15min. Once warmed up, i stopped, cleared the codes and cycled the ignition. Then it was gone. After about 30min on the highway it came back, very strange.

Again codes p0016 and p0018.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Not really; takes awhile for the cleared ECU to cycle and read the system. It's not immediate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not the clearing of the code that helps. I do think that turning the car off and on again after the engines he warmed up AB it. It uses some other parameters (coolant/oil temp maybe?) to reset some things which make the problem less obvious?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got to read the DME with a durametric clone (version 3, so only basic diagnostics).

Camshaft deviation Bank 2 is about -9.5 to -10.6
It doesn't fluctuate a lot, but it is high.
This is way out of range from the maximum 6 degrees.

This worries me a lot. IMS failure is not that common on these engines, any chance that I'm the unlucky one?

Small metal particles,
plastic bits
cam deviation

it starts to add up...

Another option could be variocam chain guides,
apparently more an issue if you use low rpms a lot, which is what I did for a long time because of a short commute (cold engine).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The more I think about is, the more I am thinking about the variocam wear pad.

This would explain:
Debris in oil filter (for the last 30.000kms, without engine failure)
Only problem at low rpms (variocam lifts it off the pad above 3200rpms)
camshaft position errors (not the deviation error, but still)

I have driven a lot of miles at low rpm, which gives more wear. Normal wear is at 130-140.000kms, I am at 137k.

play in the IMS would give fluctuations in cam deviation, mine is way out, but rock steady.

Does this sound plausible?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
So have a tech check it out and see if they agree and what it will cost
or do you intend to repair this yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts