Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago one P9 member posted an ad to sell his lightly used PFC 2-piece front rotors at about 1/2 the cost of new. I wavered and slept on the decision, woke at midnight, grabbed my tablet and completed the purchase.

When the rotors arrived I wanted to feel the weight difference, grabbed one of my old stockers and a PFC rotor ... And was dismayed that the new rotor didn't feel that much lighter. Yogi Berra once said “you can see a lot just by looking,“ I stacked the two rotors and found the PFC to be 1/2“ larger in diameter ... 12mm or so.

I contacted the seller who confirmed he'd bought his car with a preexisting brake upgrade.
The good news was I had a pair of 330mm 2-piece rotors for a great price. The bad news was they didn't fit.

I'm posting this in the event compatible 330mm x 28mm rotors are available -- 981? It seems a modest upgrade. I gave girodisc some grief for their original 330mm upgrade for the 987.1 ... At those prices 6mm increase in radius seemed expensive. But if the rotors are cheaper it's much easier to justify.

PFC part numbers: hat: 177.157.329.13. rotor ring: 330.28.0061.45 (left) and .46 (right).
There's probably one PFC part number for the whole assembly but it wasn't apparent on the rotors.

The caliper and upright meet on two flat rectangular faces about 1-1/2“ square. I need to increase the separation between caliper and upright by 6mm ... Or ~ 1/4“. No complex shapes needed. I bought a foot of 1/4“x2“ aluminum, cut 4 1-1/2“ circles of the aluminum, and drilled center holes of 1/2“.

80mm 12mm x 1.5 caliper bolts are scarce but were sourced on eBay. I didn't want to use the stock length bolts @ 72mm, losing 6mm of thread.

Anticipating a tight fit on one side I trimmed one side but it wasn't necessary. Every picture tells a story, see below. The spacer is the shiny bit between upright and caliper in the detail shot. No road test yet, that comes soon.

Enjoy!

330brakes_spacers.jpg 330brakes_bare.jpg 330brakes_detail.jpg 330brakes_done.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great bit of hardware there. PFC equipment is second to none. Had a full PFC setup on my tracked M3 and they were relentless in their stopping efficiency.

I looked into them for all of 5 minutes for the 987, it looks like they have a front DD rotor but not a rear? Is that correct?

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can't speak to what PFC does/doesn't sell for the 987 ... Except its damn hard to work from their catalog, not all the models and combinations are evident. Their web site is less helpful ... My 0.002.

The notes above simply reflect what I had to do when I unexpectedly came into 330mm front rotors. Don't know yet what others are out there.

Edit: iirc, the stock CS front rotor is the same as the 996 carerra 2 and PFC offers a 2 piece replacement.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: 987.1: Performance Friction 330mm rotors installed

Over 2000 miles now on the car (took a little drive...).

First several hundred miles on the car were slightly alarming, with a significant knocking (apparently) coming from the new rotors, as the car would cross bumps or expansion joints. Re-tightening the lug bolts helped a little.

Remembering these rotors were used, I rebedded the pads -- repeated hard braking from 80 to 40. This has helped considerably.

All that remains is some slight knocking, which I put down to using 2-piece floating rotors -- still very livable in my street car. I don't believe I was getting piston push back and pad slap but I could be wrong.

I'm still slightly paranoid and plan to pull my front wheels and give everything a close look. Maybe a pad was a bit out of position in the caliper.

Bottom line, I have stronger braking and a solid pedal. Very happy.

Possible issue -- the replacement 330mm rings are shown as special - order in PFC's catalog: min 10 sets, surcharge, ... If I have to I'll revert to the 318mm stock diameter replacement rings.

I think I could also play around with larger rings of comparable thickness.

mmmv,
-PM.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Re: UPDATE: 987.1: Performance Friction 330mm rotors installed

Having slots cut right through the outside edge may make an ideal place for a stress riser to start, causing cracks.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Having slots cut right through the outside edge may make an ideal place for a stress riser to start, causing cracks.
Seriously? You want to question Performance Friction's design? How funny.
Please use someone else's thread to mindlessly slag off a competitor.

-PM.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

Wow. I was speaking in general terms, you do not think the statement of fact is true?

·
Registered
545 Posts

If you look at the rotor picture from the top in one of the series shown it appears that this is not the case as the slot end mill completes the cut. The side picture does look like they were cut through the outside diameter and if that was the case I would definitely agree with your stress riser quote.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Didn't ask, really don't care. I'm less interested in gratuitous and theoretical discussion of a rotor feature (whether for fun or profit ...), than the actual work to adapt them to my 987.1.

If someone has some actual experience with PFC floating rotors (slotted, dimpled, folded, spindled or mutilated,) - I'd love to read about it here.

And if it turns out that the 981 rotors are the same thickness and offset, but 330mm, then this could serve as a roadmap to using the stock 1-piece 981 rotors on the older cars -- even cheaper than half-price floating rotors.

Reactions: jpccarguy

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

And I did a little research -- it seems that centric makes a 330mm 1-piece rotor for the 2014 CS for about $200, a drilled, stock replacement.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

That hasn't been my experience as I intimated in an earlier post. Rather it's the drilled ones I have found more prone to cracking.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have the ITC setup on my '09, wishing I had the Belleville hold-down ring to preload the rotor. I know this is a really late response, looks like you decided to install the bolts reverse to what PFC specifies. At the end of the day it's nuts and bolts clamping on washers...

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I have the ITC setup on my '09, wishing I had the Belleville hold-down ring to preload the rotor. I know this is a really late response, looks like you decided to install the bolts reverse to what PFC specifies. At the end of the day it's nuts and bolts clamping on washers...
Thanks for the reply -- I left the rotors & hardware installed as I received everything - and it sounds like I need to get a hardware kit and re-do it per the instructions.

*many* thanks for that link -- and a question: are the Belleville hold-down discs optional or are they part of the 2-piece rotor kit ... ?

... Any info on their role in reducing the rotor rattle would really help. I need to pull the rotors to see just what I do have. If I can cut down on the rattle I really want to do so.

Thanks!
-PM.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I don't know that it matters per se, just something that stood out in the pic. WRT the washers, I've been trying to track down the Belleville-compatible rings. The URL text implied that they came with street rings, my contact at PFC yielded nothing so I've been scrounging around various resellers to see if they have any kicking around. The washers act just like the spring clips on the Girodisc rotors - they preload the rotor against the hat but still allow float when pressure is applied via the pads. I drove cross-country from Jessup, MD to Woodinville, WA a month ago - only time it annoyed me was in slow traffic, otherwise the rattle was mostly unnoticeable.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Questions: is it your impression that the back rotor rings are Belleville -specific?
And ... Do you have a PFC part number for the replacement hardware (nuts, bolts, washers...) kit?

... PFC hasn't answered 2 queries submitted thru their site, the buggers.

-- I'm thinking of just getting a replacement hardware kit from PFC and adding the Belleville washers, assuming I can find them.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
-PM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts