Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need some help. My 05 Boxster S just started making an odd squeal when I turn the key all the way to ignition. It only lasts about 1 second and then stops. I listened to the fuel pump but I don’t think that’s it - the noise seems to be coming from the frunk on the drivers side. From what I’ve read a bad fuel pump will be continuously noisy. The car is otherwise in good condition and is my daily driver. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The short squeal on start-up is the starter motor. My 06 CS has been doing this for a while when cold/damp weather. My indy porsche mechanic assured me this is harmless and common on older cars, and there is no reason to change the starter motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys I need some help. My 05 Boxster S just started making an odd squeal when I turn the key all the way to ignition. It only lasts about 1 second and then stops. I listened to the fuel pump but I don’t think that’s it - the noise seems to be coming from the frunk on the drivers side. From what I’ve read a bad fuel pump will be continuously noisy. The car is otherwise in good condition and is my daily driver. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.
Mine was doing the exact same thing. So, during this latest crisis I have had my 05 987.1S parked and on a trickle charger. Before this I was driving it often but didn’t have it on the charger. Now that the battery is topped up, the noise is no longer present. Strange. Could still be a bad ground but I’ll have to see if the fully charged battery fixes it long term.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue in my '08 Cayman S. It turns out the grease inside the starter motor had dried up and gotten sticky after years of use. The solenoid would often get stuck and the starter motor wouldn't easily disengage the flywheel. That screeching sound comes from the engine spinning the starter motor rapidly after starting. Instead of buying a new starter motor, I disassembled mine and re-greased all the moving parts. Its been working flawlessly for over a year now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts