Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say for basically the same money you had the choice of a 987.1 with lower mileage (30-45k) versus a 987.2 with higher mileage (70-85k). Which would you choose?

I know the IMS problem is a non-issue for the 987.2 so that's a big consideration for me. Anything else? These are Boxsters, by the way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
IMS failure is pretty unlikely on any 987 Cayman, though obviously impossible on the .2 which doesn't have an IMS. I would not worry about IMS on any Cayman, they all have the later big bearing (or nothing at all).

If you want something to worry about on the 987.1, that'll be the bores (well, plus oil starvation on track). If I had to pick between your two choices in terms of long term engine prospects, I'd pick the gen 2 car. The gen 1s simply have more established failure modes and stuff like bore scoring can happen at pretty low miles. I had a new engine under warranty for bore failure (well, maybe piston coating failure in turn damaging the bores, who knows) at 42,000 in my gen 1 3.4. Not at all unusual.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Options :)

If the 987.1 is loaded with all the options + color I want, I would take that over a bare bone 987.2 car assuming we are talking about a manual tranny car. If it's tiptronic vs PDK, no brainer for PDK for me.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Need more info. For example, there's a big difference between a 2009 987.2 that has mostly city miles and a 2012 987.2 with mostly highway miles. Maintenance records are also a consideration, as is the condition of tires, whether one car has extra wheels (for winter or track), the desirability and value of select options (does the 987.2 have PDK? Do you like/want PDK?), etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gcurnew, that's a valid point. Alas, I'm a little more than skeptical when it comes to asking a dealership about history on a car. Before I bought my 981 Cayman, I test drove a 987.2 Cayman that was at my usual BMW dealer and was described to me as "immaculate, showroom condition, you wouldn't believe this car has 95k miles on it" etc etc etc. Needless to say, I *did* believe it had the mileage and walked.

So yes, getting a history of driving types on a used car, especially a Porsche, is a huge bonus, but isn't always practical.

I'm pretty lenient on the options I'm considering so that's made available a rather large number of vehicles within 500 mi of my location. I believe I have decided to limit my search to 987.2's though, and I appreciate the feedback from this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts