Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say for basically the same money you had the choice of a 987.1 with lower mileage (30-45k) versus a 987.2 with higher mileage (70-85k). Which would you choose?

I know the IMS problem is a non-issue for the 987.2 so that's a big consideration for me. Anything else? These are Boxsters, by the way.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Always best the buy the newest Porsche you can afford, not to mention the internal engine upgrades from 987.1 to 987.2.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I figured. I just didn't know how much concern more seasoned Porsche owners have over mileage.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Use Joe Gibbs DT40, change your oil every 5k miles, get an oil analysis if you're really worried about it and give it the ol' Italian tune up every once and while and don't worry about it. I bought my 06 CS with 138k miles; had to pull the motor at 145k miles due to failed IMS bearing. Everything else in the engine was within spec. I surmise with proper maintenance 200k+ should be easy on a 9A1 engine.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Let's say for basically the same money you had the choice of a 987.1 with lower mileage (30-45k) versus a 987.2 with higher mileage (70-85k). Which would you choose?

I know the IMS problem is a non-issue for the 987.2 so that's a big consideration for me. Anything else? These are Boxsters, by the way.
I would say you're right at the point of indifference. The 987.1 driven normally on the street is very unlikely to have the problems that were fixed on the 987.2; RMS, IMS, Power steering, oil pump (s) . These issues showed up mainly on track driven cars. Yes, I know, some were not track cars, that's why I said mainly. Also, at 85K a lot of normal wear items are about to be worn out. However, if you plan to do DEs, it's the 987.2 hands down.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

I would go with the 987.2 if everything else is equal. I just love the 9A1 engine.

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
987.2 - mainly because of the changes to the engine .. however, there are many other tweaks that were done depending on what equipment is in the car.
If you are looking at cars with PASM, the update is subtle but substantial, quicker cycles, less 'floaty'.
The manual trans in both versions are silky smooth but changes to the non manual cars, tip to pdk, are huge.
Hold out for the MK2, and there can be bargains on cars with lower miles than you are referencing.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Another vote for the 987.2. Normally I don't get the obsession with lower mileage cars. I look at the overall condition of the car and, as someone already pointed out, the generation. Newer is usually better. A Porsche is meant to be driven, remember? So I wouldn't worry if it has seen some miles. In this case IMS is all you need to decide. Why even risk it if there's a choice to opt it out? :cheers:

·
Registered
153 Posts
The effect of mileage depends on how the car was driven. If it was a highway commuter car, parked in a garage at work, and owned by someone who is of the "enjoy owning a Porsche" persuasion, the miles are benign. If it was owned by a weekend driver of the "enjoy driving it" persuasion, the miles count double, maybe. "Drive it like you stole it" miles count triple.

When I check out a car, I have the PO drive it first, to get an idea of how it was driven. There are indirect ways of getting an idea, whether the sills are scuffed, etc - some folks just have no sympathy for machinery. How many new tires and brake pads show up in the service record will tell you a lot.

Way down the road, the deterioration of a car is dominated by how many hot hours in the sun the interior and paint experienced. The mechanical bits can be unbolted, fixed, and screwed back together. It is very difficult to fix a tattered appearance.

I think these considerations are important in your decision. I bought a high-mileage 2009 without worries after weighing these factors. You'll get a discount for for the IMS-equipped car, whether the fear is rational or not. All else equal, get the one you love the most (not the silver one :) ).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts