Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

6-speed manual Cayman S 06 7800km on the dial. Car was parked in the garage over the winter. Decided to take it out a couple of days ago. Long story short I ended up with the shifter cable popping out on the driver side. I've tried putting it back in which works, but it pops out with minimal tension.

The cable itself is in good working condition. My first question is - has anyone been able to replace the plastic bushing inside the transmission side lock? From what I can tell this is all that has "expanded".

Secondly since I'm pretty sure the answer is no does anyone have any experience with the Numeric Racing Shifter Cables?

I'm a bit scared about the increased level of sound as this is my daily driver. How bad is the transmission noise? Is it minimally worse? Has anyone taken the time to try and record it?

Grateful for any and all replies as I am in the process of ordering either a new shifter cable from PC or the Numeric Racing Shifter Cables.

Thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Are the numeric cables available from anyone? I thought people were having trouble finding them in stock anywhere?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased the cables approximately 2 weeks ago from Numeric Racing and received in just a few days. I have not had an opportunity to install the cables, however.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Numeric cables are louder - but they won't break, unlike the OEM cables. I had them installed and lived with a LOT of extra noise for about 6 months. We finally tracked down the source of all of the noise as the rubber firewall grommet the cables go through. My mechanic had to slice it open a little to get the new cables in - letting in all of that mechanical engine noise from the other side. 30 minutes with some small strips of Dynamat packed in and around the grommet and things are much better now, definitely tolerable. The peace of mind is worth every dollar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys. I ended up going for the Numeric cables and am currently waiting for a shipment. The thing is from what I've understood the newer stock wires are supposed to hold up well too.

(Not that it really matters in my case anymore) but any experience breakage with them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts