Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2006 Cayman S on stock suspension. I've seen similar threads where many suggested getting the wheels balanced, but I have a feeling my issue might be a little different. Please correct me if I'm wrong and just need to get a balance.

I experience the common steering wheel vibration issue at freeway speeds above 60mph, and it has gotten worse in the past 5000 miles or so. I have the same exact problem on 2 different sets of wheels/tires and the car was recently aligned. But I also experienced a REALLY bad, almost violent steering vibration/shuddering when taking 2nd gear hairpins during a spirited canyon drive 2 weeks ago.

Could a steering rack bushing or suspension component be the culprit? Thanks in advance.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,822 Posts
It's only a SWAG, but it's possibly a wheel bearing issue. If so, it should be more pronounced during a turn, when the outer wheels are loaded more than the inner wherls. No matter; you should have it diagnosed and repaired ASAP so you won't get stranded, or worse.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's only a SWAG, but it's possibly a wheel bearing issue. If so, it should be more pronounced during a turn, when the outer wheels are loaded more than the inner wherls. No matter; you should have it diagnosed and repaired ASAP so you won't get stranded, or worse.

Didn't even think of that. Definitely could be a wheel bearing. I don't feel it at all when turning at normal intersections - but felt it happen twice in very tight, downhill hairpins. Any difference in quality between OEM and LUK wheel bearings? LUK is half the price on ECS tuning.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,822 Posts
IDK; LUK may be an OEM supplier. Pelican parts usually lists this information. I'd go with OEM or genuine Porsche parts, and skip the knock-offs, but that's your call.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
in an on wheel balance hasn't helped, i suggest looking at the condition of the absorber struts and the lower arms. if the white/pinkish damper at the top of the absorber strut is disintegrated you'll have a clue on the next steps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to check the wheel bearings for play and have the OEM wheels balanced tomorrow. Was a bit surprised at the $500 labor quote I received for both front bearings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve noticed these cars are very sensitive to the slightest misbalance. I would try getting a road force balance performed first. I discovered that my OEM wheels were slightly out of round with the roadforce balance.

Also enjoy watching your videos. Please get some more Cayman content out there ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve noticed these cars are very sensitive to the slightest misbalance. I would try getting a road force balance performed first. I discovered that my OEM wheels were slightly out of round with the roadforce balance.

Also enjoy watching your videos. Please get some more Cayman content out there ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You were absolutely right. I just had my stock wheels balanced and the steering is now silky smooth at 80mph. Looks like I'll have to balance the Advans with RE71R as well.

Thank you! Not sure how much longer I'm keeping the car though. It's great for DD and canyons but I'm hesitant to track it again. The financial risk seems too high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts