Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I wanted introduce myself and to just put a few things on here for anyone else new to Porsche and the Cayman S like me.

Some information I've struggled to find, some I haven't but I'll try and get it all down here just incase anyone else needs it. (I'll edit the post as I learn more too)

Online free workshop manual: Porsche Workshop Manuals > Cayman S (987) F6-3.4L (2008) > Relays and Modules > Relays and Modules - Accessories and Optional Equipment > Antenna Control Module > Component Information > Service and Repair *note - this is for the 2008 model. Still good reference material though.

Owners manual http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/Owners_Manual_Cayman_PCNA.pdf

Engines:

My engine is the MA121C which is the DFI engine, this later DFI engine came in on 2009 models. A history of the changes year by year can be found here Cayman Register - FAQ.

aHc8mbn.jpg

Apparently the coil packs can go on these engines. Perhaps this is more prevalent when the cars are used throughout the winter, or it may have something to do with the grit-salt the UK insists on using to de-ice the roads. I've spoken to one owner who regards changing these along with the spark plugs (you might as well since you're there) every 10,000 - 15,000 miles as preventative maintenance. This would be one end of the spectrum the other being replace your plugs at a sensible interval and replace the coil packs if they break*.

These engines are also known for burning oil, as you can see from the table above Porsche are happy for these engines to burn 1.5 liters/1000 km, although this would be a very high usage compared to real world reports*. If you're looking to reduce that you can increase your oil weight 0W40 → 5W40 → 10W40. Always worth keeping your eye on the oil usage though, it's a good indicator of engine health. Whilst on the topic of oil the digital oil level display is in 0.4l (400ml) increments.

Oil change volumes are as below:

Oil change with filter ..................................... 7.75 liters (8.18 quarts)
Oil change without filter ............................... 7.5 liters (7.92 quarts)
New engine or completely dry system ..... 10.4 liters (10.98 quarts)

You can flush the engine oil prior to a oil change if you like, this stuff is pretty good Protec Engine Flush | Protec Distribution Ltd, UK & Ireland Partner of the Automotive Industry. Obviously there's debate as to whether you should use these products, If you're unsure do your research. I personally have chosen to use engine flush.

Exhaust - The DFI engine doesn't benefit from having it's second cats removed, the more efficient DFI engine meant that they weren't required, I believe there is only one cat per bank on the DFI engines.

There are also ECU remaps reporting 10-15hp improvements on stock equipment, the real benefits being response, driveability and smooth power delivery though.

Hope this helps someone.

*Edits for the purpose of correction and/or clarification.

·
Registered
627 Posts
how your 2008 car got DFI engine?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Welcome, thanks for posting. Couple of comments- Porsche has had quite a high max oil consumption spec for a while. I've owned several water cooled flat sixes (M96, M97, 9A1) and have rarely added any oil between changes. No doubt some use more oil but I think typical consumption is much less than 1.5l per 1000km. Also have not experienced issues with the coil packs. I'm sure there are failures but I wouldn't say they are notorious or replace that frequently as PM. Factory spec for replacing plugs on the DFI 9A1 is 40,000mi or 4 years. Maybe a bit long but replacing every 10-15k seems unnecessary to me. Just from my experience and others I know from local tracks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, thanks for posting. Couple of comments- Porsche has had quite a high max oil consumption spec for a while. I've owned several water cooled flat sixes (M96, M97, 9A1) and have rarely added any oil between changes. No doubt some use more oil but I think typical consumption is much less than 1.5l per 1000km. Also have not experienced issues with the coil packs. I'm sure there are failures but I wouldn't say they are notorious or replace that frequently as PM. Factory spec for replacing plugs on the DFI 9A1 is 40,000mi or 4 years. Maybe a bit long but replacing every 10-15k seems unnecessary to me. Just from my experience and others I know from local tracks.
Thanks Zedcat... I've found that i've used approx 400ml of oil in nearly 4000 miles, so I'm finding the real world oil usage to be far less that the Porsche max too.

As for the coil packs, I know of two people who have had coil pack failures, one of the guys has had different packs fail on different occasions. Perhaps it's down to the road conditions here in the UK over winter. They cover the roads in grit-salt as a de-icer. Personally, I'm going to do a full set of coil packs soon just so i know where i am with them, since i don't know whether any of them have been replaced in the past on this car.

I've updated the original post, thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts