Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has always been a long time coming for me and the misses, I was actually shopping for 997 turbos a year or so ago but just couldn't swing a 997.2, and didn't want to "settle" for a mark 1. This all started with me test driving a 987.1 cayman S years back, and thinking, waow, this is how a car should handle. Spry is the word I'd use, razor sharp turn-in and steering feel, poise, balance, and just overall feel of quality throughout. I remember doing "emergency" lane changes on an open road to see if I could upset the car and it was just shocking how stable it was in transition. It was however, quite anemic in the straight line department (I grew up drag racing, and still love to hit the drag strip often). Since then, I have been Porsche enthusiast, and knew one day I'd have one as either a daily, or track rat.

So fast forward to 2 months ago; I had been looking at a 6spd Aqua blue 987.2 BS with tan interior at a local dealer which had been sitting in their showroom for more than a month. I kept opening the car up online and day dreaming when I'd get a moment at the office, thinking about how I'd always wanted a mid engine car, and how it'd be fun to have a convertible. My current daily driver has been getting old in the tooth, and one rainy Saturday morning I decided, aw hell, I'll go take a "look". We arrive at the dealer, and to our surprise there are 2 Aqua blue BS's sitting in the showroom, one with black interior and PDK, and the tan interior variant (which is what I had come to see). I looked over the tan interior vert and It was just a little rougher than what I wanted. Pealing switches, a few dents here and there, some deep scratches, curb rash, etc. Then, the gf, who is sitting in the black interior BS, exclaims, "this is nice!". "Yeah, its a porsche", was my reply. So seeing as I was no longer interested in the other one, we decided to take the PDK variant out for a spin. The rest, as they, was history. The car definitely was down some torque on our Z but made up for it with a glorious flat 6 wail and lightning quick shifts from the PDK box. She also loved the way it handled and how heavy and linear the steering feel was. Said she couldn't wait to get it out on to the the track. So we ended up trading her 370Z for it on spot.

Our trade-in, bolt-on 370Z;

Looking over the mechanicals at the dealer;)

On the drive home;

First wash;

Took it the office the following day and enjoyed some open sky;

Us the following day on a little car cruise (one of my buddies shot a nice rolling shot).

One of the first things I noticed on the test drive was a vibration at freeway speeds from the steering wheel and some very noisy brakes in the last few mph before a stop. I knew there had to be a wheel balance issue, so I had all 4 wheel/tire assemblies removed and rebalanced. I also took the opportunity to inspect the brakes, under-body, and suspension components, for any irregular wear or abuse. All the bushings in the tie rods, control arms, ball joints, etc, seemed fine, and there seemed to be plenty of rotor and pad life. From what I've read on here, it seems that the noisy pads are here to stay. Shame, as I really don't want to move to a ceramic pad.

I also had the mounting pad on the wheel and hub surface wire wheeled to remove any surface rust and ensure flush mating between the components.

I left the shop and realized fairly quickly that the vibration was still present. I watched the tech balance the assemblies like a hawk, and even provided (what i thought be ;)) very valuable instruction. When I was younger, I worked at discount tire balancing and mounting assemblies for 12hrs/day. I can still do this stuff in my sleep. So, seeing as I had checked the suspension, I was perplexed. This issue had all the tell tale signs of an unbalanced rotational mass (a nasty resonance appearing at certain velocities). So i decided that maybe the balancer the tech used was out of calibration and I took the car to a local discount tire to have the front two assemblies re-balanced again. They were spun up, shown to be off balance by an oz or so (per their machine), and re-balanced yet again. Whew, finally got it. I was on my way yet again. Soon as i get on the freeway, I notice that although reduced, the vibration is still prevalent. At this point, 3 additional grey hairs appear. I turn around, head back to discount, and have the techs break the beads of both front tires, spin them 180* degrees relative to their position on the wheel, and balance them again. Sometimes tires are out of round, and need to be moved relative to the wheel to reduce needed balance weight. As they were balancing these assemblies this time, I finally noticed (something that I really should have noticed before) that the front right wheel had a very slight woble to it on the balancer. I really didn't think that such a slight bend would case any vibration but I guess I was wrong. I thanked the techs for their time yet again, and left the facility only to feel the vibes return on the freeway. Oh well, at least we know its a bent wheel (i hope!). Anyone got a spare Carrera S II front wheel laying around? :)

Next I moved to an issue with the top. I had noticed after washing the car for the first time, the top sometimes did not slide underneath that plastic guide upon closing. I have noticed that if i stop the operation mid-way for a split second, and kind of let the material settle, instead of it closing all in one motion, that it helps to ensure it seals properly. I havent had time to tear into the mechanism, but does anyone know if there is a simple adjustment for this issue?

Another thing I noticed when finally getting the car out into the sun, is the abysmal care that the previous owner took of the paint. Now certainly, not everyone is a nut-job like me and takes 3hrs to wash a car with 2 bucket method and then blow dry it, but still. RIDS everywhere, holograming, swirls, scuffs, you name it. The only good thing was that there was a clear bra covering the front bumper, 1/4 fenders, and hood. While it was also trash (swirled to pieces), it was good to know that the paint underneath was probably well protected. There was also no deep scratches, and this gave me confidence that the car would be properly sorted with a little bit of TLC.

I turned to my friends over at Clarity Auto Detail to help sort me out. They have done many cars for me in the past, and I have always received great work for reasonable money.

I decided on the following treatment;

-Decontamination wash with iron-x
-Clay bar
-PDR repair a few small dents on the hood, fenders, door
-2 Stage color correction
-Cquartz UK ceramic sealant
-Hydro2 Sealant for the wheels
-XPEL Ultimate clear bra to replace the worn 3M version
--Hood
--Bumper
--Fenders
--Headlights
--LED DRLs
--Mirrors
--Rear Fenders

Basically, I wanted the car to come out better than new, and reverse the previous owners neglect.

Starting condition, look at those swirls on the hood and clear bra! Makes me sick.

Removing the old factory bra behind the vents. The new XPEL was custom cut to cover a much larger area there, and stretches all the way from the vent to the fender-well.

Color correction complete, starting on PDR (paintless dent repair). You can see the dents illuminated by the tape markers.

Completed product in the clean room

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And these are my pics from when I picked her up. I was beyond happy, she looked gorgeous, like a wet mirror. The Aqua Blue is just such a stunning color, and now I can admire it in the sun without wanting to gouge my eyes out. The new XPEL clear bra is completely invisible from the front as well (you can see the cut-out in the macro shot of the porsche badge), i was very pleased.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the paint was sorted, I moved to the inside. The previous owner had put some hideous rubber weathertech mats on the floor, so those were promptly replaced with a set of OEM mats from Suncoast.

I also hated the way the yellow incandescent license plate lights looked against the pretty LED tails so ordered and installed some ZIZA LED bulbs. Looks much more modern in my opinion.

Ziza on left, OEM on right.

Both installed.

A little darker

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car got dirty last week and I didnt have time to wash it myself before the weekend (and good weather had come finally!). So I snuck into Clarity on my lunch break and got a quick maintenance wash. With the CQuartz sealant its just a pleasure to wash the car, everything pretty much just comes off in the rinse.

A quick blow-dry and I was on my way!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Welcome! Great looking Boxster, esp after the detail.

About the top issue... Porsche uses strings to keep the top taught and sliding inside the bow and uses a wimpy cloth band to hold the strings in place. The band loses its shape and lets the string loosen the taughtness of the top, which allows it to slip over the outside of the bow. Pretty rinky-dinky system. If you raise the top around 6", you'll find a velcro strap inside the interior in the area of the bow. You can undo the strap and see the string / band setup. According to the Service Mgr I talked to, you can loosen the string with a screw further back on the top and tighten the string. The area looked a bit to cramped for me to deal with, so I tried tightening the band. My attempt lasted about a week and then it went back to slipping over the bow.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Very nice, congrats! ABM is a great color for the 987.2.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats! No argument from me on the color, especially when clean. I have same on my 2.9.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Congrats, totally dig the aqua blue very nice color. Interested in the cost of the xpel product. Can you pm me the price you paid for the entire front installed?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats on your new toy. It looks great.

About the top issue... Porsche uses strings to keep the top taught and sliding inside the bow and uses a wimpy cloth band to hold the strings in place. The band loses its shape and lets the string loosen the taughtness of the top, which allows it to slip over the outside of the bow. Pretty rinky-dinky system. If you raise the top around 6", you'll find a velcro strap inside the interior in the area of the bow. You can undo the strap and see the string / band setup. According to the Service Mgr I talked to, you can loosen the string with a screw further back on the top and tighten the string. The area looked a bit to cramped for me to deal with, so I tried tightening the band. My attempt lasted about a week and then it went back to slipping over the bow.
I attempted to get to the screw to undo and tighten the elasticated band without success. Too tight quarters.
I ended up zip tying a fold in the band. That fixed it and has held for a month now. I use the top daily.

As for the noisy brakes. I have found that spraying water from a hose into the holes in the disks cleans the brake dust out and helps keep them quiet... for a while ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks fantastic! I love that color. :cheers:

Very nice, congrats! ABM is a great color for the 987.2.
Congrats! No argument from me on the color, especially when clean. I have same on my 2.9.
The car looks great, the sport exhaust tips look great too.
Here is some info on the top, Mike Focke Article
Thank you all for the kind words! She is a work in progress, hopefully some track time soon. Also have H&R springs and 8mm/15mm spacers on the way to get her sitting how I like, aggressive. This 4x4 narrow stance has to go!

Does anyone know of a website/individual that can provide me a full options list based on my VIN? Maybe even one of those repro window stickers?

Congrats, totally dig the aqua blue very nice color. Interested in the cost of the xpel product. Can you pm me the price you paid for the entire front installed?
I think it was around $1000 for the XPEL installed.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Does anyone know of a website/individual that can provide me a full options list based on my VIN? Maybe even one of those repro window stickers?
Welcome.

You can get an authentic Certificate Of Authenticity from Porsche. It will contain every option on the car and its details. Order here Certificate of Authenticity - Owner Services - Porsche Service - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

If you want to just find out the options based upon VIN, call your dealer. He can run it against a PAG data base and obtain that information for you. Should do it for free. There are also multiple VIN decoders around the net. You can google them.

Congrats. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent post .. I'm a picture junky, thanks for the fix !
I'm as well, glad to see it didnt fall upon deaf ears--or eyes in this case!

Welcome.

You can get an authentic Certificate Of Authenticity from Porsche. It will contain every option on the car and its details. Order here Certificate of Authenticity - Owner Services - Porsche Service - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

If you want to just find out the options based upon VIN, call your dealer. He can run it against a PAG data base and obtain that information for you. Should do it for free. There are also multiple VIN decoders around the net. You can google them.

Congrats. :)
Thank you for the info, I will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congratz on the car ..wow what a striking color! the pics are amazing...looks like cobalt blue, very rich and fluid. I'm sure your loving every moment in it and enjoying any chance to drop the top .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I got the options list, paid $10 to Suncoast and they sent me the info.

A huge thanks to BadaBing373 for offering it up to me for free, but I received his PM a few minutes after I had purchased the VIN Decoder.

So here are the options on the car, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what options were hidden under the "762 launch code" cars? I knew these were dealer showrooms demos that were sent fairly loaded up to lure in potential buyers, but I would like a break down of the options in that code. Things like a full alcantara suede wheel, PSE, sport chrono, etc are missing from the list but are obviously on the car. I also didn't know that you can have Sport Chrono, and not have the clock on the dash. The car has the "Sport Plus" button, and most definitely has Launch control, so that means it has Sport Chrono correct?

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I got the options list, paid $10 to Suncoast and they sent me the info.

A huge thanks to BadaBing373 for offering it up to me for free, but I received his PM a few minutes after I had purchased the VIN Decoder.

So here are the options on the car, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what options were hidden under the "762 launch code" cars? I knew these were dealer showrooms demos that were sent fairly loaded up to lure in potential buyers, but I would like a break down of the options in that code. Things like a full alcantara suede wheel, PSE, sport chrono, etc are missing from the list but are obviously on the car. I also didn't know that you can have Sport Chrono, and not have the clock on the dash. The car has the "Sport Plus" button, and most definitely has Launch control, so that means it has Sport Chrono correct?
I'm not sure on the 762 launch code but not having the "wart" on the dash but having the Sport button indicates that the PO installed the Sport Chrono Package after the car was delivered. Take a look at the link from Suncoast below:

Porsche Sport Mode Software:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories

So yes, you do have the Sport Chrono but it was most likely installed from the dealer and not the factory. Which is better because the wart is ugly!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts