Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 Cayman with 18k miles, and I'm having an issue with the sound system. The car is lightly optioned, and that includes only having the base, 4 speaker (really more like 2 channel) setup.

The problem is as stated in the title - When you have the bass turned up above anything but -6 (the lowest setting), you get sounds of distortion from the speakers, specifically regarding bass. Initially I thought the high pass filter on the tweeters had failed, and all the bass going to them had blown them. Upon further inspection the tweeters are working just fine, and the distortion also comes from the door speakers. Since the distortion happens regardless of how high or low the volume is set, I'm starting to think this is an issue with the head unit or the amplifiers. I don't get the popping and banging others talk about with the sound turned off, though.

There's troves of information on here regarding the SPP and Bose systems, but next to none on the base sound system from what I can see. What I have been able to find about the system was from an old German brochure I have, which says the base sound system has two amps, putting 25 watts out each. My questions are:

1 - What could be causing the sound issues?
2 - Where are these amps? Because they're not in the frunk.
3 - In the event that this is a head unit issue, has anyone gone through with *rebuilding* one of these? I'd like to keep the car looking stock, and that includes the HU. Not a fan of aftermarket looks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
With the age of your car, most likely its the speaker(s). The cone material disintegrates over time regardless of usage. I have the same speaker setup in my 2010 base (I replaced the CDR30 immediately after buying the car new).
Good news is speaker replacement is a DIY project. Last winter I replaced both L & R door speakers with Rockford-Fosgate-R165X3-Full-Range-Coaxial for $35 a pair. They are a drop-in replacement (reuse the OEM shell). No adapter needed. They not only fixed the problem, but I got cleaner highs. midrange, and lows. If you DIY, buy a bunch of extra door card clips 30pcs Door Panel Card Trim Clips for Porsche Boxster I bought 30 (only a couple bucks more than 10) thinking I'd have lots of extras - but I broke so many I only had a few left over.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I agree with RSchwerer that you should look at the speakers first. the stock setup should easily be able to handle 0 or +2 settings with loudness turned on.
the only real way to confirm is to test them. I think the amps you're referring to are built in amps if you have basic sound setup.

I had to replace mine last year when one started distorting and just gave up the next day.
Blame Dua Lipa for it :)

Fixed some Eaton speakers (also German made) and now the world is good again....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, you guys were right! I can't believe the surrounds had completely disintegrated after only ten years... My former 928 that was 35 years old had its original speakers and they were still in great shape! I replaced these with Alpine S-S65C component speakers, and they definitely fixed the problem. I'm considering replacing the tweeters as well since the kit did come with them, but that'll require a bit more modification as far as wiring.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hmmm...

The photo links don't seem to be working..

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm a Wheeler Dealer hobbyist and sold a base 09 Box last yr with the std sound system. My speakers looked just like yours. They must be really cheap. Luckily there were lots of inexpensive options that worked.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
when I replaced mine, did the whole set as the stock system was weaker than the replacements anyway.
just be careful with the phasing of the speakers as the wiring as the cables do not lend to external (non porsche) replacement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Installed new tweeters this morning. I butchered the factory tweeters to get the factory plug out of them so I wouldn't damage the harness in the car if I ever decide to go back to stock. I removed the capacitor from the plug, soldered together the various wires, and installed the tweeters. The new ones were slightly smaller than the original, so I put some adhesive foam underneath and around the tweeters for a snug fit. Sounds great!

One thing I would like to do is add the speaker in the center of the dash for better midrange. Is that possible for the base sound system, and if it is how would one go about doing it? I know I'll need to wire it up, but where would I make connections to the HU?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I removed the capacitor because the tweeters came with their own hi-pass filter capacitor and resistor in-line. The factory one was 4.7 microfarad, whereas the new one is 3.9. Since they are different I wanted to use the one designed for this speaker setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. After reading numerous posts re. bad door speakers (woofers?) I decided to take your advice and ordered a pair of Rockford Fosgate R165X3's from Amazon.
However after pulling the old speakers from the door, they measured a full 7.5" across. The new R165X3's are only 6.5" across, and there is NO way these are an easy replacement. How did you guys "drop these in" without major fabrication? Did you do, as I've read elsewhere, by creating a 'ring' from hardboard to mate the two together? Otherwise I'm out the cost of Amazon speakers, and have to buy OEM's.
Your thoughts?
Mike. 2010 Cayman S with base radio (no Bose)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hey guys. After reading numerous posts re. bad door speakers (woofers?) I decided to take your advice and ordered a pair of Rockford Fosgate R165X3's from Amazon.
However after pulling the old speakers from the door, they measured a full 7.5" across. The new R165X3's are only 6.5" across, and there is NO way these are an easy replacement. How did you guys "drop these in" without major fabrication? Did you do, as I've read elsewhere, by creating a 'ring' from hardboard to mate the two together? Otherwise I'm out the cost of Amazon speakers, and have to buy OEM's.
Your thoughts?
Mike. 2010 Cayman S with base radio (no Bose)
Did you remove the plastic grill (4 screws)? Also you'l need to de-solder the wires on the actual speaker.
The R165 is exactly the same size as the stock speaker and the mounting holes are the same )just rotate the speaker until you see all 4 screw holes align).

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
But you first need to break-off a plastic alignment post on the cover since the R-F speakers don't have that hole.

Reactions: deilenberger

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Just reviewed my pictures (replacing 997.645.551.00 speakers with 6.5" Rockford-Fosgate R165X3's). I also looked at pics of the Sound Package Plus (SPP) speakers (997.645.553.00) which are standard on the 987.2 'S' and an optional upgrade on the Base 987.2. From the pics, it appears that the speakers inside the grill enclosure are different size. As I show above, the 6.5" speakers will mount in the original 997.645.551.00 grills. But it looks like the SPP speakers are bigger, so some spacer ring would be necessary. Or use a slightly larger speaker. Possibly R1675 (6.75"). If you end up still needing to use a spacer, you might as well go with a bigger speaker.

Sorry for any confusion. But this thread was regarding a Base with the stock (4) speakers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If someone who has done this swap still has the old speakers - could you make some measurements for us? The original speaker doesn't look like garbage to me. It appears to have a cast frame (rather than stamped steel) and a decent size magnet assembly. It should be possible to replace the deteriorated foam on them without a lot of trouble for little money (maybe $15 for a kit)...

The dimensions needed are the measure across the cone from edge to edge, then measure the opening in the speaker frame - edge to edge. With those measurements I'll dig up some info on foam-replacement kits.

FWIW - I have the same "basic" setup I believe (haven't torn the doors apart to look - yet..) and with an aftermarket head unit with decent built-in amps it sounds pretty good to me. It's not my Cayenne's Burmeiser - but it is acceptable, especially with the top down. It can play rather loud without distortion.

A good new speaker will always sound better than an old damaged speaker - but I think the old damaged speakers can be made to sound decent again for small $$ and little more work than replacing them. Sort of like new tires always feel wonderful compared to the worn ones that came off...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts