Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Today when lowering the top on my 987.2 Boxster base, the top and clamshell were shuddering/popping. I only opened to top about halfway. I closed it up, and experienced the same shuddering/popping as it closed. I lowered it again about halfway so I could see the white plastic ball-joints on the arms (I had one of plastic balls break about six months ago and replaced it). The white ball joints both look okay.

What else can I look at to figure out what's going on with my top.

Thanks for the insights!

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
The noise might be coming from the convertible top transmission. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a cracked transmission gear. I replaced the white plastic gears in both transmissions, realigned the top and it works smoothly again.

-RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and images Rob. Is there any way to check for this without taking the transmission apart to look?

Thanks again!

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could try to locate the source of the noise. If it's coming from either of the transmissions then it's likely the gear. You could also check the alignment to make sure the top isn't binding when it moves. If you get any top not closed errors then it could be a switch or transmission problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks Rob! I'll see what I can diagnose around work this week.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts