Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think all you need to know is does the vendor guarantee the numbers they publish? If not, then you have your answer about you'll actually get after spending $1,000+.

Eddie

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these, but have heard mixed reviews. What are your thoughts on value/$? I have a 2.9 non-DFI engine with aftermarket exhaust system and I'm hoping I see some HP gains if I do this install.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Pics....

The lip caught on the pipe:

And after bending the lip and priming and painting:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the SAME issue...almost impossible to work it in there without bending the edge up, i did the same thing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Guys...wanted to say that I did this install last year, and had similar issues as Sting. Had to fabricate some replacement vacuum lines as the junk OEM plastic ones snapped. The fitment is not an easy job, and be prepared to lean over your car AND under the car to fiddle with the shifter cables.

However I will say that this mod is ABSOLUTELY worth it for mid-range punch and top end. While the 'mm' size difference doesn't sound like much, take a look at the pics I saved from my install...the GT3 TB is significantly larger. No...i did NOT have it dyno'ed before and after, but i 100% believe IPD's claims. The car is noticeably faster after this mod.

·
Registered
325 Posts
image.jpg Oem on left, IPD on right

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm sure your butt dyno is awesomely accurate but the placebo effect needs to be taken out of the equation for this.

If IDP would guaranteed their numbers, that's all I'd need to hear on how legit this really is. I would buy this and document with a before and after dyno to see if it delivers.

And of course, send it back if they were just "puffing" to sell product.

And what's up with the poor fit and having to make bends for it to actually be installed?

Eddie

Guys...wanted to say that I did this install last year, and had similar issues as Sting. Had to fabricate some replacement vacuum lines as the junk OEM plastic ones snapped. The fitment is not an easy job, and be prepared to lean over your car AND under the car to fiddle with the shifter cables.

However I will say that this mod is ABSOLUTELY worth it for mid-range punch and top end. While the 'mm' size difference doesn't sound like much, take a look at the pics I saved from my install...the GT3 TB is significantly larger. No...i did NOT have it dyno'ed before and after, but i 100% believe IPD's claims. The car is noticeably faster after this mod.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm sure your butt dyno is awesomely accurate but the placebo effect needs to be taken out of the equation for this.

If IDP would guaranteed their numbers, that's all I'd need to hear on how legit this really is. I would buy this and document with a before and after dyno to see if it delivers.

And of course, send it back if they were just "puffing" to sell product.

And what's up with the poor fit and having to make bends for it to actually be installed?

Eddie
Common dude :) Theres plenty of dyno sheets around for this thing... The fitment is actually fine...the challenge is that all the components are a LOT bigger than the stock stuff. So there is some finagling involved.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Okay, I see you have a custom tune.

What I was saying is just the IDP plenum and TB alone is not going to give you much, if anything for HP/TQ gians. Now with a custom tune, I think a stock engine will gain some HP/TQ, right? And certainly so with the IDP plenum and larger TB.

Eddie

Common dude :) Theres plenty of dyno sheets around for this thing... The fitment is actually fine...the challenge is that all the components are a LOT bigger than the stock stuff. So there is some finagling involved.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Okay, I see you have a custom tune.

What I was saying is just the IDP plenum and TB alone is not going to give you much, if anything for HP/TQ gians. Now with a custom tune, I think a stock engine will gain some HP/TQ, right? And certainly so with the IDP plenum and larger TB.

Eddie
I did the plenum/TB first, and absolutely felt a difference. I added the tune afterwards and had them account for the exhaust and plenum. The tune completely transformed the car. May be sending the file back since I added the headers after the tune, and want to move to 8k redline...I have it currently set to 7600 or 7700 and it feels like there's a little more power and music hiding up there...the evomsit guys said whenever possible, they set the redlines on 2.9 cars as high as allowed for events....on stock motors btw. No reported engine failures yet.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for the info Rittmeister.

Eddie

I did the plenum/TB first, and absolutely felt a difference. I added the tune afterwards and had them account for the exhaust and plenum. The tune completely transformed the car. May be sending the file back since I added the headers after the tune, and want to move to 8k redline...I have it currently set to 7600 or 7700 and it feels like there's a little more power and music hiding up there...the evomsit guys said whenever possible, they set the redlines on 2.9 cars as high as allowed for events....on stock motors btw. No reported engine failures yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
just attemp to install this, and i am having trouble closing the halfmoon clamp on the rubber which holds the plenum in place. the screws are about 1cm gap, is it becuase the plenum is not lined up? and is it due to the issue which pipe is hitting chassis?

thanks, hope someone can help as this is the last step ;)

Pics....

The lip caught on the pipe:

And after bending the lip and priming and painting:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Did you flip the clamps so the bolt is closer to the rear? I found that i had to really work hard to get them to close up and if they weren't it was because the rubber wasn't mating up to the plenum correctly.

I wish I had a better answer than keep trying and maybe have a friend push down or be under the car to verify that its all lining up, bu this install is just a PITA. If you can post pics I might be able to make a suggestion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you Sting7777, looks like the right side isn't lined up and is pretty hard to line it up without pulling plenum towards rear. but pipe will be again hitting the chassis. i had the pipe bolted on first, did you close to halfmoon clamps first before bolting on the pipe?

Did you flip the clamps so the bolt is closer to the rear? I found that i had to really work hard to get them to close up and if they weren't it was because the rubber wasn't mating up to the plenum correctly.

I wish I had a better answer than keep trying and maybe have a friend push down or be under the car to verify that its all lining up, bu this install is just a PITA. If you can post pics I might be able to make a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you Sting7777, looks like the right side isn't lined up and is pretty hard to line it up without pulling plenum towards rear. but pipe will be again hitting the chassis. i had the pipe bolted on first, did you close to halfmoon clamps first before bolting on the pipe?
I bolted on the pipe last. So I assembled from the pipe down to the tb and maf and got everything in the right general area. Then I got the plenum clamped. Then I mated the pipe to the plenum last.

I did need to bend the lip as i showed in the pics to be able to move everything around.

I have since replaced the clamps on the MAF / TB / pipe and the hardware holding the pipe to the plenum (t-clamps and stainless bolts) and had no issues unbolting and re-bolting the pipe with the bent lip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe that's my issue. if i bent the lip and allow more cleanace i should be able to alight the plenum easier (trying not having to take out the 4 bolts to mount the pipe, as it was a pain to put on the bottom 2) let me bent the lip now and try to see if i can more room to alight the plenum.

but you are saying, if everything aligned, it should be a breeze to screw the halfmoon clamps right?

appreciate the quick reply!

I bolted on the pipe last. So I assembled from the pipe down to the tb and maf and got everything in the right general area. Then I got the plenum clamped. Then I mated the pipe to the plenum last.

I did need to bend the lip as i showed in the pics to be able to move everything around.

I have since replaced the clamps on the MAF / TB / pipe and the hardware holding the pipe to the plenum (t-clamps and stainless bolts) and had no issues unbolting and re-bolting the pipe with the bent lip.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nothing about this was a breeze :) I ended up using a smaller bolt on the bottom left mounting hole because it was tight. I do recommend at least loosening that pipe - you're dealing with no flex with that guy bolted up tight.

It will be a lot easier if you get the plenum seated and closed up with the clamps and then finalize the pipe to the TB.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Sting7777, you were right, i had to loose the 4 bolts on the pipe, clearly align and i would say hardest part was to close the halfmoon clamp. getting the 4 bolts back for the pipe took a while, but for mine, i didn't have to bent chassis, there was still 3mm gap, so we are all good :) going to test the car now!! thanks again :)

Nothing about this was a breeze :) I ended up using a smaller bolt on the bottom left mounting hole because it was tight. I do recommend at least loosening that pipe - you're dealing with no flex with that guy bolted up tight.

It will be a lot easier if you get the plenum seated and closed up with the clamps and then finalize the pipe to the TB.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That most likely isn't enough room. I had that much clearance but under heavy acceleration the engine rocks and the pope was getting caught on the lip. Definitely bend if you are keeping this mod.

·
Registered
498 Posts

I think the best review was posted my another member a few months ago in which he stated that his friend has the exact same model Cayman as he. Prior to installing the TB and IPD plenum, they would always be neck and neck as they raced onto the freeway and went cruising. After installing the IPD plenum and TB, he also felt that his car was much faster in the upper midrange and higher rpm's. BUT, when he raced his friend a few days later, his friend's Cayman was SEVERAL car lengths ahead of him each and every time. After a few weeks of getting seriously spanked by his buddy, he removed the IPD plenum and larger TB, re-installed his oem parts and went cruising with his friend. He was once again neck to neck with his buddy.
If you look closely at IPD's dyno, you can see that there is a significant decrease in low end torque wth their plenum and TB compared to stock. IPD specifically states that their plenum and the larger TB are NOT for unmodified street engines. A basic exhaust mod and tune are not enough to make their plenum and larger TB work better than stock. A bigger TB will hurt the engine's torque in the range where 95% of all drivers need it. Unless you NEVER operate under 5000 rpm, then the larger TB with be more of a detriment than an improvement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the 2.9L engine, can you get most/all the benefits of the IPD plenum without the GT3 throttle body? Is it possible to have the gains with this mod for mid/upper range without the side effects for weaker lower range?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts