Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yes, I have experimented with a softer swaybar settings and less compression/rebound on the Ohlins, but when using Hoosier race tires, the car does want to roll due to the sticky tires. Hoosier even recommends, -3.0 camber, stiffer swaybars settings, stiffer springs, to keep the tires flat on the surface of the track. So, I am drifting towards those settings, but still using my car daily. Changing the swaybars to a stiffer f & r setting definately changes the roll center. Its like changing the spring rate a little stiffer, but it only works a smooth tracks. Bumpy tracks require softer springs and swaybar settings. I really don't want to go that direction, so I will bandaid the spring rate on bumpy tracks and back country roads. I have found that using my OEM wheels and Michelins PS4's with spacers to the fender lips give a good ride even in those conditions. The weight of the wheels/tires/spacers and the fulcrum effects of the spacers/weight on the springs allow for a smoother ride.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Wouldn't adjustable GT3 sway bars help adjusting sway bar strength ?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Some tires require more camber due to their softer spring rate and tire side wall construction, ie, Hoosier A7s. Bridgestones RE71R's have a more robust sidewall construction so they certainly can be used with softer adjustable roll bar, letting the tires sidewall work more in the turns to keep the tire tread in contact with the track surface. Hoosiers with softer sidewall and overall makeup require less body roll and higher tire pressure to maintain a good contact patch. The Michelin's PS4s are in between the Hoosiers and RE71Rs as sidewall construction and overall construction makeup. The Michelins are not a race tire, their breakaway on the slip angle is much more peaked, while both the Hoosiers and RE71R's give the driver a rounded slip angle curve to work with before a snap oversteer occurs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Wouldn't adjustable GT3 sway bars help adjusting sway bar strength ?
Yes, GT3 sway bars do allow you to go a little stiffer as well as balance front to rear. I have a GT3 front swaybar and a Tarett GT3 style rear bar.

This is why we use SPL LCAs; roll center adjustment as well as anti-squat and anti-dive adjustment.
Those certainly look nice and looks like there's a good amount of adjustability in the ball joint. Knowing what I know now I may have gone that route.

I don't think I ever mentioned how my experience with speaking to SPL ended. I spent about a month of back and forth with them and never ended up with a working product for my car. I am not sure how much longer it would have taken to get there. Overall they were friendly and tried to help but it took too long and too many revisions. I ended buying Tarett links and they work fine out of the box with the high misalignment spacers. If SPL sold the drop links as two separate kits (F/R) and packaged the front with shorter center sections and high misalignment spacers they would probably work just fine. I am using their links on the rear still, and now have a second brand new set sitting in my garage... they said they couldn't help me get a refund even though this set is brand new and sealed still. Sucks, but I get it.

·
Vendor
439 Posts
We have the LCAs in stock if you ever need them!

We've been working their engineering department on endlinks. There's upper management resistance to multiple front endlinks for our cars. They make custom stuff but they really just need to add one more part number..

We use the SPLs on 987s with Tarett adjustable sways front and rear no problem. In fact that's what I have on my car. However, there are swaybars that the front links are too long for.

Yes, GT3 sway bars do allow you to go a little stiffer as well as balance front to rear. I have a GT3 front swaybar and a Tarett GT3 style rear bar.

Those certainly look nice and looks like there's a good amount of adjustability in the ball joint. Knowing what I know now I may have gone that route.

I don't think I ever mentioned how my experience with speaking to SPL ended. I spent about a month of back and forth with them and never ended up with a working product for my car. I am not sure how much longer it would have taken to get there. Overall they were friendly and tried to help but it took too long and too many revisions. I ended buying Tarett links and they work fine out of the box with the high misalignment spacers. If SPL sold the drop links as two separate kits (F/R) and packaged the front with shorter center sections and high misalignment spacers they would probably work just fine. I am using their links on the rear still, and now have a second brand new set sitting in my garage... they said they couldn't help me get a refund even though this set is brand new and sealed still. Sucks, but I get it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
We have the LCAs in stock if you ever need them!

We've been working their engineering department on endlinks. There's upper management resistance to multiple front endlinks for our cars. They make custom stuff but they really just need to add one more part number..

We use the SPLs on 987s with Tarett adjustable sways front and rear no problem. In fact that's what I have on my car. However, there are swaybars that the front links are too long for.
Haha I will definitely keep it in mind.

Mind if I ask what your full suspension setup and specs are? Ride height and rake, too?

·
Vendor
439 Posts
Our custom Ohlins Track Package with 400/500 springs. SPL LCAs front and rear. SPL bump steer correcting TREs. SPL Toe links. Tarett top mounts. Tarett GT sway bars with SPL drop links.
-2.5 camber and zero toe.
Ride height is 25"/25.75"
I have a 550/650 spring and valving package going on after testing this weekend.

Haha I will definitely keep it in mind.

Mind if I ask what your full suspension setup and specs are? Ride height and rake, too?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Our custom Ohlins Track Package with 400/500 springs. SPL LCAs front and rear. SPL bump steer correcting TREs. SPL Toe links. Tarett top mounts. Tarett GT sway bars with SPL drop links.
-2.5 camber and zero toe.
Ride height is 25"/25.75"
I have a 550/650 spring and valving package going on after testing this weekend.
You'll have to let us know how that stiffer springrate feels. I may send my Ohlins off to you to revalve when I've run out of personal improvements in the short term haha.

Where are you measuring ride height at?

·
Vendor
439 Posts
They work great. I have been running our light springs for some testing to see if we want to continue to offer the light spring package.

We offer springs and valving for:
458/572
516/630
572/687

121 - 131 of 131 Posts